Jump to content
thecrooner

Does the HX Effects do IRs?

Recommended Posts

Hello.

I'm considering the HX Effects for use with acoustic guitar. Can it load third party acoustic guitar Impulse Responses?

 

Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, it sure does.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It does, but I haven’t figured out what to use them for yet. Adding a speaker model in an effects unit designed to go into a guitar amp isn’t useful. You could add acoustic body images, but that doesn’t make sense going into a guitar amp either since its not a FRFR. They’re too short for reverb IRs. Anybody found a good use for them?

 

What I’d like to see is IRs that could change a Strat into a Les Paul, or model the delta between different magnetic pickups to make a pickiup sound like other pickups. That could be quite useful in a front of the amp effects pedal. But I don’t know of anyone who makes those.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 hour ago, amsdenj said:

Adding a speaker model in an effects unit designed to go into a guitar amp isn’t useful.

 

Not everybody will reach into (or require) the deep capabilities, but I can assure you it can be very useful. 

  • In a 4cm setup you can split the path and send an IR signal to the FOH or to a recording desk while sending the "non IR" signal back to the amps power/speaker.
  • It only takes a single "amp-in-the-box" pedal in one of the loops to turn the HX Effects into an amp sim you can use for live use or recording. IR's are really handy here.
  • Myself... I connect my HX Effects with my HD500 and use the pre-amp models from that... I have found some IR's for the HX that are far nicer than the stock cabinet models in the HD500... it's a nice combination. 
1 hour ago, amsdenj said:

You could add acoustic body images, but that doesn’t make sense going into a guitar amp either since its not a FRFR. 

 

With the multiple ins/outs and internal routing you don't have to send everything to the amp. You can send the 2nd path or one of the sends in any patch direct to the FOH (or an acoustic amp) just as you would many/most acoustic instruments. Those outputs or sends only need to be active when you program them into the patch. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, thecrooner said:

I'm considering the HX Effects for use with acoustic guitar. Can it load third party acoustic guitar Impulse Responses?

 

I'm using some acoustic IR's to help with my acoustic, classical, mandolin, dobro and banjo tones. They come in very handy. 

 

For my dobro I own a Fishman JD Aura... I created 16 IR's based on the 16 settings on that pedal and now that's one less piece of gear I need to carry to a gig and wire up.  Since those are resonator IR's they also work great with the banjo. Better yet, I can store different presets which the Fishman itself does not do.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a Helix that makes all these things a lot easier and can directly drive a FRFR. I use HX Effects in front of my old Fender Showman amp. For that, it is perfect. And what a sound this combination makes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, it does. I use two IR Loaders in parallel to feed the PA, and another send block to close the loop to my amp (in 4cm).

In this way I have both amp and FOH signals. If only the the IR Loader was stereo...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ivanmongiardo said:

Yes, it does. I use two IR Loaders in parallel to feed the PA, and another send block to close the loop to my amp (in 4cm).

In this way I have both amp and FOH signals. If only the the IR Loader was stereo...

 

Very similar to how I set it up... but I never go stereo live so I use the parallel for the IR saving the need for another send block.

EG: Main path closes the loop to the amp, split to IR on last block goes to PA. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aren't IR's often used for Reverb? I believe they do need to be longer. Could that be one use?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, brue58ski said:

Aren't IR's often used for Reverb? I believe they do need to be longer. Could that be one use?

 

IRs used for convolution reverbs are much longer than 2048 samples. They're more in the 60,000 or even as high 200,000 sample range.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/26/2018 at 2:48 AM, codamedia said:

For my dobro I own a Fishman JD Aura... I created 16 IR's based on the 16 settings on that pedal and now that's one less piece of gear I need to carry to a gig and wire up.  Since those are resonator IR's they also work great with the banjo. Better yet, I can store different presets which the Fishman itself does not do.  

 

Do you have any info on how to do this in practice? I also use a Fishman Jerry Douglas box with my Dobro, and I'm considering purchasing a HX Effects. Being able to use one box for all my needs would definitely come in handy!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kriff said:

 

Do you have any info on how to do this in practice? I also use a Fishman Jerry Douglas box with my Dobro, and I'm considering purchasing a HX Effects. Being able to use one box for all my needs would definitely come in handy!

 

I followed the outline in this video... but substituted the JD Aura in place of the Helix EQ's Jason is creating an IR from. On the JD Aura, keep the blend all the way up when capturing the 16 different tones.  

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/21/2019 at 7:29 PM, codamedia said:

 

I followed the outline in this video... but substituted the JD Aura in place of the Helix EQ's Jason is creating an IR from. On the JD Aura, keep the blend all the way up when capturing the 16 different tones.  

 

 

 

Could you please share these IRs if possible?

 

Thanks ;-)

Vlad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I own JD Aura BTW, but it died after 2 years of use and 2 repairs...

I'm not able to do all these technical things, so I just decided to buy an HX Stomp and try to get them work together ))

ZOOM A3 was a decent solution, but I miss the "real" dobro IRs from Fishman.

hcMqWkOY_gs.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used an Aura 16 with my acoustic for winery/coffee house gigs, and really liked the sound. Now I use an HX Effects with 3Sigma acoustic guitar IRs, and am pretty happy with the sound, but I think I liked the Aura a bit better. I tried create some IRs from the Aura before I sold it, but for some reason they didn't sound quite as good as the original to my ears, maybe I wasn't doing something right?

 

If anybody out there is able to create a good WAV-file IR from the Aura Gallery, I'd be forever dented. The favorite one I used and need was:

Acoustic Guitar (6 String); Taylor 710; Dreadnought; Cedar/Rosewood; Neumann M147

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/28/2019 at 4:52 AM, jamtracks said:

Could you please share these IRs if possible?

 

I know I responded to you directly, but I don't want people to think I am ignoring this thread.... 

 

Please understand that I won't share my JD Aura IR's... if I post them here I don't think that is fair to Fishman or even more so to Jerry Douglas who likely has a licensing deal with Fishman. I didn't create the IR (Fishman calls it an image), I merely made a copy of it for my own use... from a product I own.

 

It is not difficult to create an IR (especially from something like an AURA) if you take the time to learn. If you have a computer there is freeware (legal) software you can use to create them and no shortage of you tube videos to walk you through it. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, soundog said:

I tried create some IRs from the Aura before I sold it, but for some reason they didn't sound quite as good as the original to my ears, maybe I wasn't doing something right?

 

Did you try a 1 to 1 comparison before you sold it, or are you relying on your memory?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×