Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

2.0 Firmware: Fail

I just updated my JTV-59 from 1.9 to 2.0. After doing so I couldn't upload any new tones to the guitar. Depending on what software I tried I would get a different error. If I tried the workbench I'd get a MIDI timeout or disconnect and if I tried workbench HD I'd get an exception (and work after downloading my guitar's patches all the tone names would have a "?"). 

I luckily have different computers and operating systems available to me from several flavors of Linux, to Windows and OSX (the latter being the one I use mainly) so I can easily test my setup under different conditions. Unfortunately my results were the same under Windows and OSX. 

After many wasted hours and several Google searches I finally gave up and downgraded to 1.9 and everything worked perfectly again: I could upload and download tones without a single problem. 

So now I'm left wondering why would Line 6 release a firmware that is clearly not mature enough for production use. I LOVE my JTV and will continue to use it as I find it's an incredibly versatile tool. Still, when I see beta software released into the wild -like the 2.0 firmware- it makes me think that some manager at Line 6's QA team is falling asleep. 

Just writing down my thoughts...

• Downvote 1

Answer: improper validation procedures.

I've been in hi technology medical manufacturing for 13 years. It's always the same thing. The "suits" get all excited about releasing something and they've hired the wrong techies to develop the stuff.  These techies are indoctrinated into the "Microsoft Method" : i.e. release crap and then let "the field" do the real beta testing, then collect all the complaints, errors and product returns, fix the software, release the corrected version and then start the process over again.  

That all being said, my upgrade to 2.0 went flawlessly.

• Upvote 1

how exactly were you updating or trying to upload models to the guitar?

it is a known limitation that you MUST use the workbench interface... for workbench HD....

so if you were trying to use your pod... it would not work.

non-HD workbench will not work with a 2.0 flashed guitar....

I just updated my JTV-59 from 1.9 to 2.0. After doing so I couldn't upload any new tones to the guitar. Depending on what software I tried I would get a different error. If I tried the workbench I'd get a MIDI timeout or disconnect and if I tried workbench HD I'd get an exception (and work after downloading my guitar's patches all the tone names would have a "?"). 

I luckily have different computers and operating systems available to me from several flavors of Linux, to Windows and OSX (the latter being the one I use mainly) so I can easily test my setup under different conditions. Unfortunately my results were the same under Windows and OSX. 

After many wasted hours and several Google searches I finally gave up and downgraded to 1.9 and everything worked perfectly again: I could upload and download tones without a single problem. 

So now I'm left wondering why would Line 6 release a firmware that is clearly not mature enough for production use. I LOVE my JTV and will continue to use it as I find it's an incredibly versatile tool. Still, when I see beta software released into the wild -like the 2.0 firmware- it makes me think that some manager at Line 6's QA team is falling asleep. 

Just writing down my thoughts...

The "suits" get all excited about releasing something and they've hired the wrong techies to develop the stuff.

I've worked as a software developer for over 10 years too and "suits jumping the gun" is what this update seems to me too. And it's too bad because I'm also a professional musician (two degrees in music and all) and I'm doubly pissed at this update.

it is a known limitation that you MUST use the workbench interface... for workbench HD....

That's the one thing the update warns you about. As I connected my 1.9 to workbench HD I got an error message saying that I needed 2.0.

But yes, I tried all 4 combinations in 3 different systems to no avail (1.9 -> workbench, 1.9 workbench HD, 2.0 -> workbench, and finally 2.0 -> workbench HD) in OSX 10.8, Windows 7 (as a VM in OSX), and Windows 7 on a dedicated host. 

As I said earlier, going back to 1.9 worked in every case so I'm positive other pieces of the chain are working fine. I'll just wait until 2.0.1 is out or maybe an updated version of workbench HD. 

I deleted your last post because I had realized me mistake in reading your post, and had already deleted my previous comment. Actually deleted it like 15 or 20 minutes ago. I'm not sure how you were able to quote it... Perhaps from the email notification.

Guys - this was a Free update.  They could have waited another year and made it more bug free but I am glad they did not.  I am happy with 2.0 and anybody that isn't can go back to what they had before the "Free" update.  Sometimes the best way to find bugs is to let the users have the release.  (as long as it's a guitar and not an airplane :) )

• Downvote 1