Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Switch EXP pedal from footswitch

bigfishcatcher

I would like to be able to switch between the expression pedals 1 and 2 with one of the other footswitches.  that way I can set the volume of backing tracks with one exp pedal

and then switch to the other pedal without moving the first ones position.

is this possible

What a great idea.... this would also be handy going volume to wah when you don't want "full volume" when you head to the wah effect. 

Sadly, I'm not sure this is possible but maybe someone else knows better. I think you need to add a second expression pedal which would then separate exp1 from exp2. 

Guitar > EXP 2

backing track >EXP 1... but reverse the polarity. That way when you switch to EXP1 it is a zero, then heel down to increase volume. This way you can still utilize the toe switch. 

On 5/25/2018 at 11:37 AM, bigfishcatcher said:

I would like to be able to switch between the expression pedals 1 and 2 with one of the other footswitches.  that way I can set the volume of backing tracks with one exp pedal

and then switch to the other pedal without moving the first ones position.

is this possible

Not sure if you can do this with stomp assigns but you can do it with snapshots. I was able to get it working. It is easiest to configure this in the Editor.

1. Make sure that "Global Settings" --> 'EXP Pedals' --> 'EXP 1 Pedal Position" is NOT set to "Per Snapshot". Do the same thing for 'EXP 2 Pedal Position'.
  2. Set up two volume blocks.
  3. Use the Editor's "Bypass/Controller Assign" tab to assign the 'Position' parameter on one volume block to 'EXP 2'(the default) and assign the 'Position' parameter for the second volume block to 'EXP 1'. In this example 'EXP 2' will be used for the "Guitar" snapshot and 'EXP 1' will be used for the "Backing" snapsots(naming details below). Make sure both volumes blocks are active and NOT bypassed.
  4. Save this snapshot and name it for example "Guitar"
  5. Now select another snapshot and name it for example "Backing"
  6. Now in the "Backing" snapshot make sure again both volume blocks are active and NOT bypassed.
  7. In the "Backing" snapshot now click on the toe switch for the Helix expression pedal. The expression pedal scribble strip should show it switching from 'EXP 2' to 'EXP 1'. Save this snapshot.
  8. Now when you want to switch the expression pedal from controlling the guitar to controlling the backing tracks, switch snapshots - do NOT click the toe switch for the expression pedal. When you switch snapshots the volume level for the block you set with the expression pedal from the prior snapshot will be retained and you will now be able to control the other volume block without impacting the one you just set . Switching back to the other snapshot again will retain the most recently controlled volume block setting and return you to controlling the other volume block.
  9. Note: I believe this should work on either "Discard" or "Recall" mode in 'Global Settings' --> 'Preferences' --> 'Snapshot Edits'. You may see this setting in certain combinations with the settings listed in Step #1 that do not respond as described above. I didn't test all the possible global setting combinations.

Btw, I imagine you might be able to pull this off as well with snapshots using two separate 'Output' blocks instead of 'Volume' blocks but I set it up using volume blocks.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

There are a few workarounds it seems, like using a MIDI cable. But it would be nice (and easy) to make the EXP toggle-able with footswitches for those of us who use the MIDI ports otherwise. I just saw that there is an entry on ideascale here:

https://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Toggle-Expression-Pedal-selection-with-Footswitch/967640-23508