Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Hey ,
I recently bought a Pod HD 500 and dont know much about it.
I want to know the basics of recording through the pod hd 500 on reaper.
Do I use the conventional high gain presets for recording or should I make new presets for recording?If i have to make a new one then how to?
How to record the completely dry signal of the guitar to the reaper DAW?
And how to lessen the latency and buffers?
I just need a guideline for the basics of recording through it :D
PS:I dont own any audio interface I just want to Record the guitars through my pod via USB
Thanks in advance ^_^

I'm wondering if the 500 allows you to ONLY output the return from REAPER the way you can in the older pod drivers and the pod xt live

Also, in the older drivers and xt live, you can chose as input source "unprocessed only" in the ASIO control panel...It makes an excellent audio interface AND MIDI controller. Not sure if the 500 does that as well

inside reaper, right click the top right corner that shows sample rates. It will bring up the audio devices. Make sure its set to asio, make sure the asio driver is the line 6 one. Click "asio configuration" panel near the bottom of that window, that should bring up your line 6 asio control panel

Now I'm not sure what the 500's looks like specifically, or if it is a crippled piece of crap like the Amplifi and Firehawk ones are, but most of the pod series had a few different tabs you could switch to. One would allow you to chose input type, between the effected signal or the dry input, which turned the device into an actual audio interface

Some of the Pod drivers took it a step further, and mad a monitor fader so you could completely shut off the send from the devices input to the output, and let it ONLY send REAPER's output to the device's output.

This way you can hear 100% exactly what's coming out of reaper, including all your plugins and whatever, and be 100% sure of what it is you are getting

here's an example of using the old XT Live in a similar way

I made a latency chart here http://kailuamusicschool.com/tech/round-trip-latency-roundup/

You can see the pod drivers are ok-ish, though I didn't get to test the 500 specifically, the pod driver family seems pretty consistent from model to model.

13 miliseconds is the critical listening threshold, as confirmed by oodles and oodles of ABX tests, though you will hear every alleged expert and pretengineer on the forums screaming about how even 2 msec is too long (even though, given a substantial reward for guessing latency better than chance, they consistently fail that on an ABX test).

The Pod drivers are a bit slower than that, but much better than the standard 20-25 miliseconds every iOS guitar app user is getting and seeming to be happy with

Set it to 128, make sure monitoring in reaper is on, and if possible that direct monitoring on the 500 is off and see what happens, should be fine, and nothing to die over

Your reaper settings look correct, but you need to look in the settings that you get when you click that "Asio configuration" button. That's where you will set your buffer size (try to get it to 128) and your choice of inputs (if available between unprocessed and processed) and your direct monitoring if available which should be set to off, or like in the case of the xt live, all the way to the left so turned down all the way.

Direct sound is going to be horrendous latency, I think 35 or 50 miliseconds. Same as WDM....sometimes WASAPI is ok, but if you have ASIO, use ASIO by all means

@pipelineaudio1 
I set up the audio device as asio but i didnt get any input whatsoever on the reaper 
On the other hand I set it up on directsound and i got input. i set up the presence and master through my pod hd 500 edit on the amp and set up the output levels.but the fact is I want to get a completely unprocessed dry signal without any horryfic latency.I am doing my research on processor unit recordings but i need some guidelines for it.
Thanks man @pipelineaudio1 \m/

Hey @pipelineaudio1  
I managed to set up the asio buffer size at 128 
And didnt get the fact from where do I set up my input of the signal being processed or unprocessed?
In the inputs / recording it says these i dont see an option to choose in between processed and unprocessed sound.

Guide me through it 
thanks bruvvs

buffer.PNG

inputki.PNG

To record an unprocessed sound use a preset with an empty processing path (no amp/fx). It's not totally unprocessed because there's an A/D conversion at the beginning but from there it's unprocessed digital all the way via USB to your DAW.

Here's a Customtone HD500 patch I created some time ago for recording wet and dry simultaneously.

https://line6.com/customtone/tone/2784034/

Ahh what a bummer, looks like the 500 driver is MASSIVELY crippled compared to the older POD XT drivers and the toneport drivers.

Line6 seriously, what's with all the backwards steps? The Firehawk and Amplifi have worse drivers in every single way than the older drivers. I'm getting to the point where I am about to remove Line 6 products from my FAQ's and recommendations. 

raiyanhrid. OK, so as silverhead said, just make a dry patch

Turn "hardware monitoring" off, all the way to the left on your "inputs and recording" tab of the line 6 driver control panel

Ad a track in REAPER, arm it, set it to input 1, and turn on the monitor icon for that track.

Unless Line 6 COMPLETELY blew it on this driver and actually stepped back more than a decade (which at this point, and man, I'm really, really disturbed by this, wouldn't actually surprise me), this should work out perfectly 

• Upvote 1

This preset is designed to output two mono channels - one wet (L channel) and one dry (R channel). You can use the Mixer block in the preset to pan the wet path L and R but then you will no longer be getting the dry signal in the R channel; it will be mixed with the R-side processing of the wet path.

The issue is that the Pod HD ASIO driver delivers only 2 channels to the DAW - L and R. You can't simultaneously record a stereo wet signal and the mono dry signal. That's why my preset forces the wet processing path to a mono signal.

That is a REALLY good trick! Same way we used to use a DI and a amp locked together, with only the amp signal being monitored.

When it comes time to edit, the dry signal seriously looks like snare drums, really easy and simple to tell exactly what's happening when. Yet its editing the amp sound at the same time, so it all works out

Turning on spectral peaks view in the newest versions of reaper makes it even easier

On 5/28/2018 at 1:30 AM, silverhead said:

This preset is designed to output two mono channels - one wet (L channel) and one dry (R channel). You can use the Mixer block in the preset to pan the wet path L and R but then you will no longer be getting the dry signal in the R channel; it will be mixed with the R-side processing of the wet path.

The issue is that the Pod HD ASIO driver delivers only 2 channels to the DAW - L and R. You can't simultaneously record a stereo wet signal and the mono dry signal. That's why my preset forces the wet processing path to a mono signal.

@silverhead
Left channel is WET 
 Right channel is DRY 
In my DAW will I create 2 tracks and arm them for recording?Then  Set track 1 for mono input 1 and track 2 for mono input 2?
Will  the end result will be a dry and wet track both for recording but also dry tracks in case I decide to reamp later?
 If this is wrong then guide me through the setup of your preset 
and will i turn the hardware monitoring off like @pipelineaudio1 said above?

what should i do to get the playback of the recorded track through my headphones???

Yes, that's correct. Track 1 records the mono processed signal and Track 2 records the mono dry signal. Use the dry signal as the source for subsequent reamping.

Connect your speakers/headphones to the Pod HD device to monitor the playback; the device becomes your computer's soundcard.

4 hours ago, silverhead said:

Yes, that's correct. Track 1 records the mono processed signal and Track 2 records the mono dry signal. Use the dry signal as the source for subsequent reamping.

Connect your speakers/headphones to the Pod HD device to monitor the playback; the device becomes your computer's soundcard.

After finishing the recording , if i turn off the pod device, then will I be able to hear through the sound box of my PC ? Like for mixing the tracks. This sort of sounds like a hack to me

Well, to do that you'd be changing your chosen audio device, which windows will likely do if you turn off the pod, but reaper will still be looking for your pod until you switch it...But that's a good thing not a bad one...

In reality, Line 6 has given you a very workable audio interface. If you haven't got another real one, you would definitely be better off using the pod as your main interface

Way way back in the REAPERMobile days, I ran around the country with a KB37 and a set of studio monitors which worked out really well as a basic studio on wheels.

And an impromptu chance to record a guitar player who had only a few days to hang out from Canada...Portable and powerful (back in the Core2Duo days

Ironing board? Check!

Computer speakers from the motel lobby? Check

Changing table? Check

Recording on!

ReaMotel.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hello guys! I was having the same problem, and i followed this topic and was able to solve most of the problems.

But i was wondering if there was a way to record with one of the presets i have in my POD500x instead of go and looking for VST for Reaper.

i downloaded the preset that SilverHead posted, but i should take that has an example of how i should set up my preset in order to make it work for both DI and my Guitar Favorite preset?  Or was that the only way found to record clean DI?

Im kinda new to recording,not a complete 0 but no pro either, Hope you can help me out! 

Thank you in advance!

6 minutes ago, fiercejp said:

Hello guys! I was having the same problem, and i followed this topic and was able to solve most of the problems.

But i was wondering if there was a way to record with one of the presets i have in my POD500x instead of go and looking for VST for Reaper.

i downloaded the preset that SilverHead posted, but i should take that has an example of how i should set up my preset in order to make it work for both DI and my Guitar Favorite preset?  Or was that the only way found to record clean DI?

Im kinda new to recording,not a complete 0 but no pro either, Hope you can help me out! 

Thank you in advance!

PS: i uploaded some prints so you can see what i have done so far.

image 1.png

image 3.png

image 2.png

35 minutes ago, fiercejp said:

image 1.png

image 3.png

image 2.png

****Update***

It seems the custom tone that SilverHead provided works just fine... i have WET and DRY channel in each track accordingly.

But i tried to "copy" those settings so i could work with my preset´s and i always hear both WET and DRY in the same channel.

I also reviewed the settings to match SilverHead´s customtone.... is there something else i might be missing?