Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Dual cab block

steelstringer

Hello all. Is there a difference in tone between these two approaches to using dual cabs after the amp block? Approach one: simply use the dual cab block. Approach two: split the cabs using an A/B split path.

I swear that the built in dual cab block sounds better, but I don’t understand why. Thoughts?

Splitting them provides the flexibility to choose the cab models.  I find it useful to choose various combinations such as 1 1x12 mixed in with a 4x12.  With various mic setups I dial in the tone by sliding the A/B balance toward of of the two cabs.

Splitting them provides the flexibility to choose the cab models.  I find it useful to choose various combinations such as 1 1x12 mixed in with a 4x12.  With various mic setups I dial in the tone by sliding the A/B balance toward of of the two cabs.

You actually can select different cabs in the dual cab block. See page 28 of the manual. You don't have to split them.

1 hour ago, prudenjim said:

Yes. And this is why I would like to split them (especially to use the A/B balance feature). What I am running into is that I would like to mute/bypass one cab while I dial in the other, but when I do this, the active cab sounds muffled/distorted, and I am not sure why. When they are both on, it sounds nice, but I want to dial them in separately, and then blend them. This will let me dial in a bigger, warmer tone on one cab, and a more focused, treble-heavy tone on the other. Thanks for the feedback.  

6 hours ago, steelstringer said:

Hello all. Is there a difference in tone between these two approaches to using dual cabs after the amp block? Approach one: simply use the dual cab block. Approach two: split the cabs using an A/B split path.

I swear that the built in dual cab block sounds better, but I don’t understand why. Thoughts?

Something else that's fun to play around with is separate cab blocks with a split path. Try putting your verb and echo on one path and leaving the other clear for (IMHO) considerable improvement in tone on some patches.

dualspkrs.JPG

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, BBD_123 said:

Something else that's fun to play around with is separate cab blocks with a split path. Try putting your verb and echo on one path and leaving the other clear for (IMHO) considerable improvement in tone on some patches.

dualspkrs.JPG

Cool. Thanks for the tip. 

• Like 1