Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
flanger001

Change effects params with EXP toe switch

Recommended Posts

Hey y'all, sorry if this is a repost, I've searched for this info a bunch of times. Here's what I want to do:

 

  • Using Helix Floor (2.5.0 - can update it if this will fix it)
  • Use one of the vibe effects (Vibe Rotary in my case)
  • No Wah or Volume effects on this patch
  • Use the expression pedal to control the Slow Speed & Fast Speed params
  • Use the expression pedal toe switch to change the Speed param between Slow and Fast mode

 

For the life of me I can't figure out exactly how to do this. I've gotten as far as getting EXP1 and EXP2 to control the Slow Speed & Fast Speed, but I can't get the toe switch to change the actual Speed param from Slow to Fast. I tried using MIDI CC Toggle in the Command Center as well but I am not sure I was doing it correctly.

 

Is this possible?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Expression Toe Switch can't be used as a controller, at least not currently.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, phil_m said:

The Expression Toe Switch can't be used as a controller, at least not currently.

 

All right, that's fair. Is there any way this could be accomplished otherwise? Perhaps if I use a midi cable looped from the output to the input?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, flanger001 said:

Hey y'all, sorry if this is a repost, I've searched for this info a bunch of times. Here's what I want to do:

 

  • Using Helix Floor (2.5.0 - can update it if this will fix it)
  • Use one of the vibe effects (Vibe Rotary in my case)
  • No Wah or Volume effects on this patch
  • Use the expression pedal to control the Slow Speed & Fast Speed params
  • Use the expression pedal toe switch to change the Speed param between Slow and Fast mode

 

For the life of me I can't figure out exactly how to do this. I've gotten as far as getting EXP1 and EXP2 to control the Slow Speed & Fast Speed, but I can't get the toe switch to change the actual Speed param from Slow to Fast. I tried using MIDI CC Toggle in the Command Center as well but I am not sure I was doing it correctly.

 

Is this possible?

 

 

9 hours ago, phil_m said:

The Expression Toe Switch can't be used as a controller, at least not currently.

 

As you are probably aware the toe switch can be used for activate/bypass operation of a block although as Phil pointed out I know of no method currently for it to be used to switch back and forth between a min and max or for example a slow/fast parameter on a block. It can however be assigned for multiple blocks' bypass states. So if you wanted to do something simple like activate/bypass a 'Rotary Vibe', boost, distortion, or volume block you can assign that block's "Bypass" parameter to  "EXP Pedal Toe".  The ability to assign multiple blocks to the "EXP Pedal Toe" switch would allow you to for example to switch between two instances of the same effect which might accomplish the parameter setting change for you. This allows you to set one instance of the block speed parameter to slow and one to fast and to activate one block while the other is bypassed using the toe switch. Of course, snapshots can achieve all of the same results using less DSP but the dual blocks approach with toe switch would allow you to achieve this from within a single snapshot or preset.

 

It might be easier just to assign one of the other footswitches rather than the toe switch to the Vibe Rotary's "Speed" parameter and use that instead of the toe switch. Don't know if that works with your usage scenario though.

 

Also, haven't delved into this and I don't even know if the MIDI implementation is granular enough on the effects to accomplish what you are attempting but as the toe switch can issue MIDI commands I wonder if you can get some additional control over the parameter you need to change by using the MIDI loopback approach using a short cable to loop MIDI commands assigned to the toe switch back into the Helix.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks @HonestOpinion, I appreciate the further insight here. I might give the loopback approach a try.

 

This is more of a matter of "can I do it" than "it must be done", at any rate!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, j_hotch said:

Just a suggestion: Could you toggle slow/fast via a snapshot?

 

For sure, but I'm looking to do this with the toe switch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, flanger001 said:

Thanks @HonestOpinion, I appreciate the further insight here. I might give the loopback approach a try.

 

This is more of a matter of "can I do it" than "it must be done", at any rate!

 

As an update - I just tried this with the MIDI loopback method and it worked beautifully. Now I know it's possible, so I'm not going to stress about it anymore. Thanks all!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, flanger001 said:

 

As an update - I just tried this with the MIDI loopback method and it worked beautifully. Now I know it's possible, so I'm not going to stress about it anymore. Thanks all!

 

One thing to be aware of with connecting a MIDI cable from the Helix back to itself is that if you use the looper, you'll run into issues... If not, you should be OK. Make sure you have the automatic PC Send setting in the Global Settings menu turned off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×