Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Not loud enough?

naylor_novelis

I got this yesterday and turned the channel volumes on my helix, made sure the input wasn't padded and turned the powercab up to half volume... and it was about as loud as my solid stateĀ 10watt practice amp on full volume. Turned it up all the way and it was only just loud enough to hang with a soft hitting drummer. If I increase the output on the Helix by 15db (max) it might just be loud enough but then I'm running EVERYTHING on max all the time and there's nowhere else to go. Anyone else experienced this? It sounds great (if a little dark/muffled) but It just isn't loud enough and that's a huge problem for me. Am I doing something wrong here?

3 minutes ago, naylor_novelis said:

Yes. Next thing I guess I'll try an XLR instead of Jack lead - could that help?

Ā 

It shouldn't really make a difference. What color is the clipping indicator on the Powercab?

5 minutes ago, naylor_novelis said:

It's solid green and VERY occasionally flickers orange for a millisecond. Do I have enough headroom to increase the output level? Thanks for your help by the way!

Ā 

Maybe a little bit more... It might be your patches are a little low overall, I don't know. There's no preamp in the Powercab, so all preamp gain has to come from the Helix. I'be just read so many other reviews where people say it's plenty loud, that I don't know. Line 6 recommends maxing out the volume from the modeler and controlling the volume on the PC with its master volume knob.

I noticed that too and found that I had to increase the levels of the paths on the Helix and also, sometimes, the levels of the amps too.Ā  You might want to look at the block volume levels too.Ā  I found that when I turn the paths up to around 2 to 5 and the main volume knob of the Helix to around 11 and the Powercab to around 11 as well, it's gets pretty loud without clipping.Ā Ā  Also, on the Powercab, you might need to turn of the level for each speaker model.Ā Ā  Some speakers are quieter or louder than others, that I have noticed,

So - where I'm at is: Ā I use the input pad on the Helix all the time. Ā On most amp models, I have to hit the upper range of the channel volume (amp setup for clean or edge of breakup gain) to get it to occasionally light up orange (lead/solo volume) and not distort on a low, open E power chord. Ā So when I set up my patch I get the output going until it distorts and then back it off about .5 on the channel volume to give myself some headroom. Ā The last gig I played I got the Powercab volume up to about 3 o'clock for the gig. Ā We are not a loud band but - I wouldn't have run it that loud if the amps had been going to the mains (which they were not). Ā I find the angle of the Powercab is really good - and I can get good monitoring volume without being crazy loud onstage.

I turned mine up to around 11:30/12 and with output for each path on the Helix around +5 at most, it is pretty loud.Ā Ā  What I found that helps is duplicating one path to the other.Ā  Also, on some, I've added and EQ or boost to the path and upped the level on it.Ā Ā  With all that, the Powercab still doesn't hit the yellow.Ā Ā 

Iā€™ve had this issue too playing a couple gigs with it. First gig i had the volume on the amp at about 3/4 to full volume andĀ just not cutting it with my band...2nd set i cranked it all the way and about 1 oclock on the helix....couldnt seem to go much more with the helix before clipping....so i got loud enough but i really dont like not having head room to spare.Ā 2nd gig i started using irs in place of the helix cab models and had much better luck but im finding i just dont like the sound of the powercab....this weekend i set my stagesource l2t next to the powercab and wow did i love the sound of the stagesource way better....and loud....no problem getting volume. So I have to say im not impressed with the powercab so far..either going to return it or it will become my practice amp unless i can figure out what is going on. Bear in mind im only a month into using the helix and still learning

• 2 weeks later...

Just got one of these today and had the same issue. I've maybe played it 20 min but I started playing around with the deeper settings on the powercab and found that mine was set to a -32db setting on most speaker settings (including the full-range). This increased the output significantly! Not sure if this is a common global setting (mine was purchased scratch/dent so maybe someone had messed with the settings).

I'm using an old-school HD500x but I was able to get VERY loud and, while I did have to turn the master volume past the 50% that I usually run it at, 75% was VERY loud.

When I get a bit more into the unit I'll post my findings.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I just purchased a Powercab 112 plus this week because I really prefer the power amp/speaker combination with my modelers.Ā  I was also intrigued with the features of the Powercab but the volume was a deal breaker for me.Ā  I play in a band with a loud drummer and this amp would not cut it, unfortunately.Ā  Had to send it back.

besull926 - mine is plenty loud, after i upped the levels on the output of the amp blocks, eq block and the output, then, of course the main volume.Ā  i usually can't turn my helix main volume past 9 o'clock.Ā  my powercab is around 10 o'clock.Ā  when i turn my helix past 9 or 10, it's extremely loud.Ā 

Ā 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 6/22/2018 at 11:39 PM, bryanrensema said:

Just got one of these today and had the same issue. I've maybe played it 20 min but I started playing around with the deeper settings on the powercab and found that mine was set to a -32db setting on most speaker settings (including the full-range). This increased the output significantly! Not sure if this is a common global setting (mine was purchased scratch/dent so maybe someone had messed with the settings).

I'm using an old-school HD500x but I was able to get VERY loud and, while I did have to turn the master volume past the 50% that I usually run it at, 75% was VERY loud.

I noticed the -32db too, should it be 0? Is there a way to set to factory defaults?

On 11/18/2018 at 8:14 AM, mikeyg00 said:

I noticed the -32db too, should it be 0? Is there a way to set to factory defaults?

Ā 

You can't change the factory defaults, but simply raise the level there and re-save the preset.

• 2 weeks later...

I'veĀ got my preamp maxedĀ so to get the claimed 125 dB in Line 6 cab ....Ā  I'm not sure where I go for that additional volume.Ā  I'm sure the attorneys are involved in setting the default so low so that no one's hearing gets damaged and they get sued

So.... ^^^^^ what he said! Ā In the global section there is input 1 and 2. There set from factory at lowest dB. Ā Bring those up to at least 0 or higher. I run +4 or more if youĀ need it.Ā Ā  Then each cab presetĀ Ā you pick has its own level on the powrpercab plus. Ā I bring this up pretty high also. Ā My gig volume is great. Iā€™m only half way up on Powercab master volume. I do agree with poster on this forum, Ā line 6 should of made this 500w. Ā There should be no reason helix owners should have to max out all there preset volumes etc. to get gig band volume blend.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Just got my PC +, was having the "volume issue"...until I set the output of the HX Stomp to "line"..problem solved..plenty loud now..the volume controls on the amp models in Helix act as the real thing, you have to find the "sweet spot" on the master volume.

• 2 weeks later...

Just as an addendum to this thread - I tried all sorts of things to get it to be loud enough but in the end I was runnng everything maxed out all the time (using the regular Powercab, not the Plus version) - I was also getting some nasty clipping sounds that were ruining my experience. This is with a moderately loud rock covers band.

The Powercab just wasn't loud enough so I ended up selling everything and getting a Kemper powerhead (600w) with a Matrix FR212 cab and I hardly ever have it above 10-15% volume. It's a real shame as the Helix/Powercab sounded great but for me it just couldn't cut it in a live band scenario.

• 5 months later...
On 6/22/2018 at 8:39 PM, bryanrensema said:

Ā 

On 11/19/2018 at 6:38 AM, phil_m said:

Ā 

You can't change the factory defaults, but simply raise the level there and re-save the preset.

Ā 

Ā 

I wonder, it the none plus version is set to these low levels.Ā  Ā because i have to pin all the knobs and get the input to almost red all the time to even be heard.. and when i play on my own its not very loud.

Ā 

for a 250 watt amplifier, it sure is quiet...

Hopefully this will help someone else. Iā€™ve had the same thoughts of it the powercab not being that loud, even for home use.Ā 

Ā 

Im using a HX stomp and regular powercab. Output set to line level

Ā 

Iā€™ve just adjusted the StompsĀ Vol knob settings so it only effects headphones, (Global settings - Ins/Outs - volume controls) Iā€™m now getting unity from the helix and the powercabsĀ volume knob is right down rather than always needing to be so high (even at home). Iā€™ve had to play with all of my patches via the master and Ch Vol in the amp blocks, but it makes much more sense now and works better for me. Muuuuuch louder too :)

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I Play in a rock band who are quite loud but not OTT. I bought Helix floor and two PC+ units to run in stereo. I though this should be enough but my volume is so quiet and I have everything maxed out. I am new to Helix and just moved from the traditional valve amp set up so I may be missing something but at rehearsal my Helix was on full and both PC+ units at 3o'clock as it started to squeel past that and still wasn't loud enough. The LED was flicking between green and yellow but only a few times. I had most amps channel volume and main high or on max. Really disappointed as I would have thought two would do it especially after all the youtube videos saying one was plenty loud.Ā 

Ā 

I've checked the usualy "pad off" and some of the suggestions above but still no joy

5 hours ago, sssav said:

I Play in a rock band who are quite loud but not OTT. I bought Helix floor and two PC+ units to run in stereo. I though this should be enough but my volume is so quiet and I have everything maxed out. I am new to Helix and just moved from the traditional valve amp set up so I may be missing something but at rehearsal my Helix was on full and both PC+ units at 3o'clock as it started to squeel past that and still wasn't loud enough. The LED was flicking between green and yellow but only a few times. I had most amps channel volume and main high or on max. Really disappointed as I would have thought two would do it especially after all the youtube videos saying one was plenty loud.Ā 

Ā 

I've checked the usualy "pad off" and some of the suggestions above but still no joy

Ā 

Are you using Speaker Mode in the Powercab? Do you have the Level parameter in the Powercab preset turned up? If I recall, they're all set to something like -12dB by default. The other thing I'd say is that you can add level to your Helix presets by increasing the Level parameter in the Output Block. A dual PC+ setup should be quite loud.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/12/2020 at 3:31 PM, phil_m said:

Ā 

Are you using Speaker Mode in the Powercab? Do you have the Level parameter in the Powercab preset turned up? If I recall, they're all set to something like -12dB by default. The other thing I'd say is that you can add level to your Helix presets by increasing the Level parameter in the Output Block. A dual PC+ setup should be quite loud.

Thanks Phil_m. I'm running in flat mode with voicing as FRFR. I've now tweaked the levels in my patches so they're just under the max with the LED just under or occasionally flashing red on lead patchesĀ and I'm almost there. It's probably just loud enough for rehearsal but not used it live yet as everything gets louder live, especially the drummer, and I'm afraid I can't go any higher. I found the feedback was being generated by specific patches but these were expensive patches purchased from GD so I would have thought this would not happen. I must say this has disappointedĀ me as I expected more after spending almost Ā£2.5k. I have extended warranty I may return the lot

• 2 weeks later...

I have the PC plus, and honestly, Line 6 dropped the ball on this one. It is NOT loud enough for a live band setting if the band has any kind of thump in their stage volume. I love Line 6 products, but this one not so much. For comparison I also have a Line 6 L2M and I just link it and that rocks. I bought the PC plus so I could use both of my L2Ms for a small PA. I know there are all kinds of tweaks to bring the overall volume up, but those are just cumbersome workarounds and I have to make duplicate sets of patches. If I could return this thing I would. Not hating on Line 6, there is bound to be a dudĀ product every once in awhile, and in more than 20 years of using Line 6 products, this has been the only dudĀ I have found. I will keep it as a practice rig or perhaps a low volume amp for my kid, but not anything live or serious.Ā 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/30/2018 at 8:42 AM, phil_m said:

Ā 

Maybe a little bit more... It might be your patches are a little low overall, I don't know. There's no preamp in the Powercab, so all preamp gain has to come from the Helix. I'be just read so many other reviews where people say it's plenty loud, that I don't know. Line 6 recommends maxing out the volume from the modeler and controlling the volume on the PC with its master volume knob.

Ā 

On 6/13/2018 at 9:00 PM, lawrence_Arps said:

Line 6s advice is to run the helix on full (at the bug knob - or bypassit) and control volume at the PC

Ā 

Question: I've been using a QSC K10 for a few years with my LT, but I just got a PC+. I usually run my K10 gain at 100% and then use the LT volume knob to control overall volume - practice vs. stage. But you're saying I should basically reverse my approach by putting the Helix volume at 100% and using the PC+ knob to adjust overall volume, correct?

Ā 

Also, would you please point me to that recommendation? I didn't find it in the PC+ manual. Thx!

• 1 year later...

Was initially having this problem with the PC+. On my Helix Stomp, I switched output to "line" and made sure I had a head in the path (no cab), using the 67 greenback speaker on the PC, and with Stomp and PC outputs set to flat 0.0 this thing is HELLA loud. At 50% on Helix and Cab, I'm pushing past a pretty loud practice volume, cranked the Helix all the way up per the recommendation and was like WHOA, then just for fun cranked the PC to about 80%, and it was eardrum damaging. I wouldn't be able to stand in front of it at this volume without earplugs. For a 1x12 this thing is insanely loud.

Ā 

If I cranked all the outputs to 5.0 I'd likely have people cursing about loud guitar players. For a show I'd probably run a line to house to spread the sound and prevent scaring the hell out of myself with the output every time I stepped on my boost.

Something to remember; it's a cab/speaker, that's it. No preamp (it's easy to forget that). Make sure you have a head in your input path, you don't have any EQ etc. cutting the level (unless you want that), and crank up those amp controls. Careful; if you leave your helix and PC dimed you'll blow yourself out.

All in all once I put this together I was more than satisfied with the volume. If you need more than this you must play REALLY REALLY REALLY loud (probably way louder than you should be playing). I'm a hard rock/shreddy kind of player so know volume (played out of a Marshall half stack with JVM410h head for years) and the PC+ definitely delivers. Remember though that it's a 1x12 (mine anyway). Beyond a certain point you'd want to spread the sound out of more than one speaker (so run a line to house or pick up a second cab for a stereo spread). The 2x12 might also be a better option if you really want to go deaf by 35.

Very satisfied with the cab.
Ā 

I find some of this very frustrating to read.

Ā 

You do not have to "max out" the Helix patch volumes to get PC to work.

If you run the output meter in the output block to around 75% - 80% (which is arguably the optimum level), your big knob at full (or disabled)Ā and have your PC input level at 0dB then the LED willĀ be mostly in the green/yellow zone and very briefly the odd little red flash.Ā  This is optimum input level and is 3 - 6dB louder than with all blocks bypassed.
I run my speaker emulations at -15.Ā  Ā I find my Rhythm volume is almost exactly the same level as the all blocks bypass vol.Ā  Ā This leaves a lot of headroom on the helix output (and we all know by know its virtually impossible to clip the helix in normal use)

At this level the PC is far louder than needed for a bar orĀ medium club size gig. The 1 x 12 sound is great in any style other than the hard rock/metal genre which tends to want the sound of a 4 x 12.Ā  Do not expect the same air movement as a 4 x 12 with a 1 x 12.Ā  Nothing to do with how loud or powerful it is. Ironically, any good sound engineer will be filtering out those silly sub 80HZ rumbles from the guitar tone due to it ruining the mix....

For comparison, prior to the PC I used a Mesa Boogie Express 50 on about 4 on the master....thats pretty loud.

Ā 

If I ever had to work with a drummer who drowned out the PC I think I would just walk out of the gig as the drummer clearly has no respect for the music!