Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX factory presets question. New user.

Phil110567

Hi there !

I'm new owner/ user of the HX. Discovering.  It seems easy to program. Good tone.

I did all the updates.

Well I feel factory presets are unsuable. I'm used to ear factory presets on FX gear  having to much FX, but there it is barely usable.

The advantage is that it pushed me to start programing from the beginning !

I've read somewhere that the presets may be corrupted.

What do you think about this ?

I'm mostly with jbuhajla.  But I have changed my opinion from "none are usable" to many are usable with a little work, if that's your thing (using other's presets).  I'm like you, Phil, and glad for it - I started creating my own presets right away and am glad I did.  But there is value to looking at how others create presets, whether it's L6, youtube videos, or presets for sale.  Seeing others' approaches has had a huge impact on my preset creation.

Presets are not there for practical purposes, they are there to try and show everything the unit can do with as little clicking as possible. Everything is extreme. I have never met a factory preset that I have liked - I don't waste any time with them. 

The first thing I do when I get a new multi effects is a factory reset (just to make sure something critical hasn't been changed deep inside) then I create a blank patch and save it EVERYWHERE. I'll create the sounds I want/need from there with my hands, my guitars, my amps and/or monitors, my ears. 

Just my 2 cents...

22 hours ago, Doug6String said:

I'm mostly with jbuhajla.  But I have changed my opinion from "none are usable" to many are usable with a little work, if that's your thing (using other's presets).  I'm like you, Phil, and glad for it - I started creating my own presets right away and am glad I did.  But there is value to looking at how others create presets, whether it's L6, youtube videos, or presets for sale.  Seeing others' approaches has had a huge impact on my preset creation.

Absolutely this. I purchased some presets from 3 Sigma and found that their use of a parametric EQ in front of the signal chain was magic for me. I have done this before but not with "extreme" parameters they used. Brought my strat and tele to life for me. Their purchased presets have been the basis of my #1 template ever since. 

I've only had my Helix for a month (ish). I think to suggest pre-sets are non-usable is a bit of a stretch. They give you lots of ideas, examples, which is all they are really for....in my opinion. I can't imagine finding a pre-set and thinking "that's my new tone"....but that's just my opinion. If you are think they sound that bad, maybe you do have a problem with the unit...or, consider what you are playing through....

• 3 weeks later...

Thank for your replies. But my topic is related to HX FX not the 'Helix' I've never tried.

It seems that at least some of you answered about the Helix.

In the HX FX, there are few presets. There are some odd stuff like delay going into distortion, which is legal of course but not with the delay mix they used !

They all sound like if they put different effects together without thinking about setting up each for a consistent global result.

Again I managed to create beautiful tones and some usefull stuff for gigs. The interface is very well designed so it is easy.

Some presets with parallel routing or 4 cable method would be usefull for starters.