Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

hx vs helix etc...

rudomat

I think the only feature the HX Effects has that the Helix doesn't is the ability to have a second EXT AMP jack with a total of up to four relays. Of course, using both of those means you lose both external expression jacks.

phil...can you tell me one more: since the helix rack has got 3 or 4 expression outputs and the floor control as well has got 3 or so...i guess it´s not possible to use the ones in the rack for amp switching and the others from the floor control for expression pedals at the same time....is it...? or can you either use the rack ones or the ones on the floor control....?

thanks....is there actually a forum, where we can lodge wishes for the future (like the fractal forum has... ;-))

Just now, rudomat said:

phil...can you tell me one more: since the helix rack has got 3 or 4 expression outputs and the floor control as well has got 3 or so...i guess it´s not possible to use the ones in the rack for amp switching and the others from the floor control for expression pedals at the same time....is it...? or can you either use the rack ones or the ones on the floor control....?

thanks....is there actually a forum, where we can lodge wishes for the future (like the fractal forum has... ;-))

The Helix's expression jacks aren't multi-functional like the HX FX's. They can only be used as expression pedal inputs. I have to believe that's something that can't be changed with a firmware update, as it's related to the way they are actually wired.

Things I’m missing in HX effects (that probably could be implemented)

1. Access to guitar input block with impedance and noise gate (like in Helix)
  2. Access to output block to change output gain level (to avoid having to do it in a block) in order to control how the amp is pushed
  3. HX Effects is 1/2 Helix (one DSP instead of two), so why not 16 blocks on the path instead of just nine. Certainly it can’t be just a UI restriction (three buttons, three blocks visible in the signal path view)
  4. Ability to go to snapshot mode without having to switch to preset mode and press preset up/down at the same time. Stomps and snapshots should be really easy to access in a patch.
  5. Don’t waste a footswitch for looper - you have to use the mode switch to get out of looper mode, why not use the same switch to get into it. I need all the effects controls I can get on the footswitches, especially since there are only 6 (8 if you use the expression pedals to control block bypass).

But that said, its breathed new life into my old Showman amp. I plan on gigging with this at least once this year. I need to change how I play a few songs that require open tunings and/or acoustic tones. But that’s ok. I don’t mind playing songs differently.

8 hours ago, amsdenj said:

Things I’m missing in HX effects (that probably could be implemented)

1. Access to guitar input block with impedance and noise gate (like in Helix)
  2. Access to output block to change output gain level (to avoid having to do it in a block) in order to control how the amp is pushed
  3. HX Effects is 1/2 Helix (one DSP instead of two), so why not 16 blocks on the path instead of just nine. Certainly it can’t be just a UI restriction (three buttons, three blocks visible in the signal path view)
  4. Ability to go to snapshot mode without having to switch to preset mode and press preset up/down at the same time. Stomps and snapshots should be really easy to access in a patch.
  5. Don’t waste a footswitch for looper - you have to use the mode switch to get out of looper mode, why not use the same switch to get into it. I need all the effects controls I can get on the footswitches, especially since there are only 6 (8 if you use the expression pedals to control block bypass).

But that said, its breathed new life into my old Showman amp. I plan on gigging with this at least once this year. I need to change how I play a few songs that require open tunings and/or acoustic tones. But that’s ok. I don’t mind playing songs differently.

Totally agree