Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Line6 HX 4 cable alternate method?

tof_sten

Hello guys!

I'm about to buy a Line6 HX but there one thing that I would like to be sure that it is doable before.

I need 4 cables method for pre and post preamp effects and I would like to use 2 external pedals (one fuzz and one overdrive).
The official way to do 4 cables method involves using one send/return which means only 1 send/return is available for adding an external effect pedal.

Is it possible to do 4 cables method by using only the left and right inputs/outputs?
It would lead to keep the 2 send/return available for having 2 external pedals.

I hope someone can help me!

Hmmm... It might work... If you create a parallel path in Signal Flow view and hard-panned the Split block and hard-panned the outputs for Paths A and B, I actually think you might be able to do this. You would use Path A for your pre effects and Path B for those you want in your loop. I'll have to mess with this sometime.

• Like 2

Phil_m's method above will work fine, but it does prevent you from using any parallel effects or stereo effects. If neither of those matter, it's a perfect solution. 

20 hours ago, TRENDKILLCFH333 said:

This is a change I'd like to see on these effects units - a dedicated Send/Return for Amp's effects loop - just like the Boss ES-8.  

The ES-8 is an effect loop monster... really a completely different beast with a different purpose.

IMO... if L6 dedicated a send/return for this purpose I think it would start a flood of posts saying "I don't need that, why can't I re-assign it". Having two loops in a small footprint such as this already allows a lot of flexibility not normally found in in this size and price point. Again, just my opinion - not necessarily the right opinion :) 

Thank you guys for these answers.

I maybe found in the user manual an explanation of why it is not possible:

"The HX Effects device signal path is stereo, carrying two channels of audio. When the device is fed a stereo input source (i.e. - when discrete left & right signals are connected into the device's Left and Right input jacks), the source audio is processed discretely in stereo, wherever stereo blocks are used within the path. Whenever a mono block is added within a path, both channels of audio are combined and sent out of the block as mono."

It looks like some of you think it would work, can you try it? 

Maybe I need to buy one and just return it if it doesn't work...

1 hour ago, tof_sten said:

Thank you guys for these answers.

I maybe found in the user manual an explanation of why it is not possible:

"The HX Effects device signal path is stereo, carrying two channels of audio. When the device is fed a stereo input source (i.e. - when discrete left & right signals are connected into the device's Left and Right input jacks), the source audio is processed discretely in stereo, wherever stereo blocks are used within the path. Whenever a mono block is added within a path, both channels of audio are combined and sent out of the block as mono."

It looks like some of you think it would work, can you try it? 

Maybe I need to buy one and just return it if it doesn't work...

Actually, it's because the HX has the ability to maintain stereo separation that it will work. You just have to make sure you keep the splits and merge points hard panned, as I mentioned.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, phil_m said:

Actually, it's because the HX has the ability to maintain stereo separation that it will work. You just have to make sure you keep the splits and merge points hard panned, as I mentioned.

Yes I agree with that but what I understand from the manual is that if I add a mono effect on the L/R stereo path it will merge both in the input of the effect.

As the L path would be my pre-preamp path and the R path my post-preamp path, it would not work for my purpose.

-> so maybe it means that in this case only stereo effect must be applied.

Then about using stereo effect on the L/R to do the pre-preamp and post-preamp paths: when panning the effect right or left, does it pan the output of the effect only or the input too? if it pan only the output I think it will not work either.

Thank you for your help!

3 hours ago, tof_sten said:

Yes I agree with that but what I understand from the manual is that if I add a mono effect on the L/R stereo path it will merge both in the input of the effect

You are over thinking this.... They are merged by default, but you can hard pan the inputs and outputs to keep them separate. You have full control of this. 

1: Stay away from Stereo Effects...

2: In the Input "Y", hard pan the left input to Path A, and the right input to Path B.

3: In the Output "Y", hard pan Path A to the left, and Path B to the right.

4: The paths are now independent and will accomplish what you want to do. The LEFT In/Out is one set of effects, the RIGHT In/Out is another set of effects.

*** Keep in mind you will need at least 1 effect block in each path before the Y options become available to edit.

I run my HX with separate paths in some situations.... it works 100% as long as you get the routing (panning) correct and stay away from stereo effects.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, codamedia said:

You are over thinking this.... They are merged by default, but you can hard pan the inputs and outputs to keep them separate. You have full control of this. 

2: In the Input "Y", hard pan the left input to Path A, and the right input to Path B.

4: The paths are now independent and will accomplish what you want to do. The LEFT In/Out is one set of effects, the RIGHT In/Out is another set of effects.

*** Keep in mind you will need at least 1 effect block in each path before the Y options become available to edit.

I run my HX with separate paths in some situations.... it works 100% as long as you get the routing (panning) correct and stay away from stereo effects.

Thanks! I need one now!

4 hours ago, tof_sten said:

Yes I agree with that but what I understand from the manual is that if I add a mono effect on the L/R stereo path it will merge both in the input of the effect.

As the L path would be my pre-preamp path and the R path my post-preamp path, it would not work for my purpose.

-> so maybe it means that in this case only stereo effect must be applied.

Then about using stereo effect on the L/R to do the pre-preamp and post-preamp paths: when panning the effect right or left, does it pan the output of the effect only or the input too? if it pan only the output I think it will not work either.

Thank you for your help!

9 minutes ago, codamedia said:

To add on a little to what codamedia said here, you just want to make sure that all of you blocks are after the Split and before the Merge. If you put them on Path A, they'll be before your amp. If you put them in Path B, they'll be in your amp's loop. You can use stereo blocks if you want, but you'll only be getting one side of the stereo image.