Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

No sound on amplifi 150

eletrolegal

• 2 months later...

Had the same problem. It is the power supply board in the bottom of the amp.  It is 2 power supplies in one.  One side is for the amp to the 12" speaker, and the other side goes to the amp for the 2 smaller left and right speakers.  You have to replace the whole power supply board.  Buy it at Full Compass. 

The components used in these amps are low quality. Just enough to meet the specs to make them work. This is what happens when they outsource overseas. No quality control.  If they can make it cheaper by putting in 1/10th of a penny cost, than spending a 5 cents on a component to make a board, they do it.  As long as it meets the specifications, they do not care. This is why these amps fail. Cheap parts with low tolerances.

• Upvote 1

Forgot to mention that it is easy to fix the Power Supply issue if the following is observed:

Take the back plate off the amp slowly, look for the wires that go from the main amp board (attached to the large heat sinks, 3 wires: black, red, and green). Look where they go to on the Power Supply PCB (5 screws takes the board out).  Behind those wires on the main white connector, there are two capacitors side by side. They look the same. If they are brown in color, that is what is blown.  This is the same crap that Yamaha uses on their systems. The capacitors are cheap and will fail eventually or sooner depending on voltage fluctuations, heat, and where you use the amp (poor voltage filtering, etc).

Rather than sending it to Line6 for repair that takes weeks or months as they say, or send it to an authorized service center that will charge you a lot, take the amp to any good local electronic repair service and tell them what I told you. They should quickly see and repair.  Replace with higher quality capacitors with better tolerances.

Your other option is to buy a new Power Supply from Full Compass and just swap it out yourself (it's not hard). Have the defective board repaired as a backup.

I have been down this road with Yamaha PA systems and amps, Line 6 powered speakers and amps many times. Always the same thing. They cheapen the components to save money.

Since they sell thousands of product, they would rather spend 1/10th of a penny than $.50 per critical component to maximize profits. As long as the cheap part works, who cares?

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

If you speak about the 2 largest capacitors: specifications for both are 680µF (microFarads) - 200Volts - 105°C.
Problem is that they are snap-in type instead of radial, so that they are more tricky to remove but it remains feasible by yourself. If you order new ones, I recommand to take radial and not snap-in, because I received 2 snap-in few larger than originals and it is tricky to place (few place). Radial are mostly smaller in diameter (and they are more reliable and cheaper).

Important to notice: In my case, I had the same problem: no sound (at all) but all buttons/bluetooth/... are working fine; Last firmware (2.60) installed.
After replacing those capacitors, no change => no sound. I'm not sure that this is always the same defective component. So please, be sure that your capacitors are burned (= damaged or leaking).
Tip (for myself): I see that even minijack input is inoperative (no sound) and that even tuner doesn't receive any signal => I exclude for the moment a general power failure
Regards & Good luck

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I had a similar experience with an Amplifi 150, just sound out of the tweeters no woofer. Here was my diagnosis path, big thanks to @rdownings for a good starting point. So I unscrewed the rear panel, inspected power pcb and woofer amp pcb couldn’t see failed components, so removed the power supply board at the bottom, put the connectors back on and ran it outside the case and checked and had all the voltage rails , +-45v +-19 and +8v, same issue. Was going to swap out the woofer amp board as I have 2 150’s but decided to check all the audio signal cables and connectors and it started working, so might have been un seated connector or could still be dry joint while knows, but it’s working. But yeah think checking voltages off power pcb before removing it is the fastest thing, then audio connectors , and then amp module. I got lucky !

A0702206-B6C5-4404-AFA7-9BFAA6C557FF.jpeg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

FAILURE AGAIN

Had it setup on the weekend on bluetooth from the phone, pumping out about 1/3 volume and then music disappears, all lights where off on the amp. Switched off and on again and it came back but missing the woofer again. Back to square one, might just try replacing the caps and giving it a resolder and see how we go

• 1 year later...
On 6/6/2021 at 12:55 AM, lisapnv said:

If you speak about the 2 largest capacitors: specifications for both are 680µF (microFarads) - 200Volts - 105°C.
Problem is that they are snap-in type instead of radial, so that they are more tricky to remove but it remains feasible by yourself. If you order new ones, I recommand to take radial and not snap-in, because I received 2 snap-in few larger than originals and it is tricky to place (few place). Radial are mostly smaller in diameter (and they are more reliable and cheaper).

Important to notice: In my case, I had the same problem: no sound (at all) but all buttons/bluetooth/... are working fine; Last firmware (2.60) installed.
After replacing those capacitors, no change => no sound. I'm not sure that this is always the same defective component. So please, be sure that your capacitors are burned (= damaged or leaking).
Tip (for myself): I see that even minijack input is inoperative (no sound) and that even tuner doesn't receive any signal => I exclude for the moment a general power failure
Regards & Good luck

Hiya. did your "tip to yourself" yield any results. I am experiencing exactly the same symptoms with my amplifi 75