Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Shuriken seems really bright and thin

leftyz

I’ve been using NYXL 10-52s on the Shuriken (was having problems with the piezo “plink”) Also I tried playing around with pickup position in Workbench and it seems like no matter what I set up it sounds bright and kind of thin. The Semi hollow body tones are unusable to me. Really thin and tinny. Is it the strings I’m using? I know NYXL’s can be a little bright...anybody else hearing this? 

41 minutes ago, leftyz said:

I’ve been using NYXL 10-52s on the Shuriken (was having problems with the piezo “plink”) Also I tried playing around with pickup position in Workbench and it seems like no matter what I set up it sounds bright and kind of thin. The Semi hollow body tones are unusable to me. Really thin and tinny. Is it the strings I’m using? I know NYXL’s can be a little bright...anybody else hearing this? 

You might try bumping the output of the models in Workbench... you can go up to +6dB. Piezo outputs can vary a lot, boosting it might help a bit. 

What cruisinn2 said, good idea, from what I've seen and heard, it works. Also, there is a Line 6 Knowledge

Base posting from earlier this year on the subject of plink, you may want to check out.

BTW,.... NYXL 10-52 is what Stevic McKay uses on his Shuriken. He also uses a Velcro band near the

string nut to cut down on any extra harmonic ring. He has a You Tube video out there, he mentions something

about that in passing. Been a while since I chatted with him about that.

• 2 weeks later...

Tried bumping up the preset volume in Workbench - it helped a little and I also use the wrap behind the nut. I suspect it may have a little to do with tuning down 1/2 step (which Stevic actually suggested I do because the bands I play in do that) so there’s a little less pressure on the saddles? That and I HAD to lower the action just a little. The tension on those strings on a 27” scale was a bit much. The only two suggestions from the article on “plink” that I haven’t tried is spraying cleaner under the saddles (wouldn’t think I’d need to do that on a brand new guitar) or replacing the piezo saddle. Don’t trust myself to do that. Also it might be my imagination but the Shuriken seems to sound better when plugged into the Variax port on the Helix than it does when using a regular 1/4” cable. Not using a cheap cable either - 1/4” Zaolla. I’m going to raise the saddles a bit on the E and B strings and see what that does...