Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Anyone want an area to write notes on the Helix screen? Just curious.

brue58ski

I'm just curious, with all of this screen real estate, I thought it would be nice to have an area to put some notes about the patch. Like what kind of guitar, what distortion did you use, stereo mono, etc. whatever. Just to remind me/us about what some of the specifics are in specific patches. Just curious your thoughts. Have no idea how easy or hard it would be to implement. And I know it would use the same method patch naming directly on the Helix does. But I would assume it would be available in HX Edit also if it were implemented. Just curious about peoples thoughts on this. Worth it? Or a waste of the developers time?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

I personally wouldn't see a need for this, as couldn't you use a cheap tablet to do this?

That said, I would selfishly prefer the devs spend time on other advancements/improvements/additions to Helix. However, I won't stand in the way of such a feature, if it doesn't take much to implement.

The downside would be increased wear & tear on helix knobs, and wheels. Unless you do it in HX edit first, and port it over to the hardware.

38 minutes ago, PiFromBRC said:

Interesting idea, but I'd rather see signal meters than notepads.  If you look at some of the custom tones, the notes are rather lengthy.  Perhaps a notepad feature in the editor?

Yes. I would much rather signal metering, and clip indicator for individual blocks.

20 hours ago, Lachdanan0121 said:

I personally wouldn't see a need for this, as couldn't you use a cheap tablet to do this?

That was my first thought also as I use an iPad for lyrics but it occurred to me that my notes on the iPad tend to be related to song arrangement rather than the preset involved. Plus my presets tend to change over time, it would make more sense to have preset notes attached to the preset rather than the iPad. I could see having notes on the Helix being a handy feature for specifics on the blocks in the preset being used as the OP mentioned, snapshot changes, guitar and pickup the preset/snapshot was intended for, etc..

• Like 1

I personally would love the idea.  I don't really care whether it's displayed on the Helix or not, but the ability to attach performance and freeform technical notes to a patch as part of the patch itself would be very useful.  Probably moreso in HXEdit than on the Helix screen.  I personally would use it to document what guitar it's designed for, maybe guitar settings, particulars about special tunings, or if I'm using a second path for something special such as an acoustic, even modification history.  Having it on a pad wouldn't be nearly as useful in that regard as it's not connected directly to the patch.  Seems like something very simple to add with a LOT of value.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

How about this...

How about a dedicated block for a notepad? This way it doesn't take up real estate on the screen unless you have it set to that block.  This route leaves more room for signal meters, and clip indicators on each block.

Imageline - (They make FL Studio) has a couple of notepad (plugins) that you can insert on any mixer channel FX slot.  I use them quite a bit. I am a studio musician only. So I keep a lot of my notes about the patches I use in the projects on the DAW. 

Plus a dedicated notepad block wouldn't take up any dsp hardly, and would be easier to implement (speculation, but not completely pulled out of my lollipop) You could even use the second path if only just for the notepad block, as it does not even need to be in the signal chain.

What do you guys think?

• Like 1

I’ve come upon similar features in technology.  Some notes (metadata) would be great.  MAybe even some tags.  Just to help search and find different objects.  (Yes, that would require a search :) ).

It can be hard to keep track of all the places I’ve used a block.  Once I find parameter changes I like, it would be great to implement it in other places.

Which leads to my one change request.  Add a folder under ‘templates’ titled ‘blocks’. In it have a single instance of every block (within each category) and allow me to declare the initial parameter settings.  Line 6 settings are great but once we watch find what we like in many blocks, everything works as it does today but it takes MY values from these blocks instead of their defaults.  Just a thought.

• Like 1

I have no computer in many of my situations so this would be for those people like me. I absolutely agree that the developers should spend time on other more important things (love the VU meter idea.) This would definitely be low priority but if it's something that would be quick (is anything quick in the programing world?), it would help me. If it would only help me then forget it. That's why I was wondering what other people thought. Seems to be about 50-50 pro/con right now.

On 5/30/2018 at 5:44 PM, DunedinDragon said:

I personally would love the idea.  I don't really care whether it's displayed on the Helix or not, but the ability to attach performance and freeform technical notes to a patch as part of the patch itself would be very useful.  Probably moreso in HXEdit than on the Helix screen.  I personally would use it to document what guitar it's designed for, maybe guitar settings, particulars about special tunings, or if I'm using a second path for something special such as an acoustic, even modification history.  Having it on a pad wouldn't be nearly as useful in that regard as it's not connected directly to the patch.  Seems like something very simple to add with a LOT of value.

On 5/30/2018 at 7:00 PM, Lachdanan0121 said:

How about this...

How about a dedicated block for a notepad? This way it doesn't take up real estate on the screen unless you have it set to that block.  This route leaves more room for signal meters, and clip indicators on each block.

Imageline - (They make FL Studio) has a couple of notepad (plugins) that you can insert on any mixer channel FX slot.  I use them quite a bit. I am a studio musician only. So I keep a lot of my notes about the patches I use in the projects on the DAW. 

Plus a dedicated notepad block wouldn't take up any dsp hardly, and would be easier to implement (speculation, but not completely pulled out of my lollipop) You could even use the second path if only just for the notepad block, as it does not even need to be in the signal chain.

What do you guys think?

I'm with DD - I have some really different guitars and my presets are for a specific guitar so notes in the Helix would be great.  I've tried a "code" in the preset name to identify the guitar and different setlists for diff guitars but I see a lot of use for notes vs having a Word file for different songs in progress, which is my current approach.  

And I hadn't thought of the block idea, but I love it!  Ideascale?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Doug6String said:

I'm with DD - I have some really different guitars and my presets are for a specific guitar so notes in the Helix would be great.  I've tried a "code" in the preset name to identify the guitar and different setlists for diff guitars but I see a lot of use for notes vs having a Word file for different songs in progress, which is my current approach.  

And I hadn't thought of the block idea, but I love it!  Ideascale?

This describes my situation completely.

• 1 year later...

Yes this would be great.  We have this feature on the Firehawk FX for all the cloud patches uploaded by users. Many times the only way to know what guitar, pickup type, artists or band the patch was made to emulate, is to watch a video IF the custom tone page even has that info but many times once you downloaded hundreds of hlx patches from all over the internet (and maybe even renamed them) you will have NO IDEA which patch is for what so I think this would be VERY helpful to have a tab in HX Edit for that info for Guitar Type, Pickup Selection (Bridge, Middle, Neck, etc), Artists, Band, Song etc etc etc just like its setup on the Firehawk Remote app for the uploaded patches/tones. Dont see how this could be so hard to implement. Was this added to an IdeaScale request yet? if so where so iI can vote for it ASAP. thanks

• Upvote 1

On 5/30/2018 at 1:23 PM, Lachdanan0121 said:

That said, I would selfishly prefer the devs spend time on other advancements/improvements/additions to Helix. However, I won't stand in the way of such a feature, if it doesn't take much to implement.

The downside would be increased wear & tear on helix knobs, and wheels. Unless you do it in HX edit first, and port it over to the hardware.

You only need to have the txt info in HX Edit not on the actual unit as thats where its important to know when importing or "testing out" patches you download from others on the internet or ones you made youself.

• Downvote 1

On 5/31/2018 at 8:50 AM, jbuhajla said:

nah. I use an iPad for the setlist with notes in there. Presets are in order on the set list. 

They arent talking about those kind of notes. the notes would be just like on the Firehawk Remote app for all poatches uploaded to their patch cloud, when you have to input the guitar type (strat, gibson, es355, etc), pickup type (humbucker, single coild, active, passive, etc), pickup setting (bridge, middle, neck, etc)  as well as artist, song, band, etc for what its supposed to be emulating  tone/sound wise. this would in be HD Edit only not on the actual Helix floor or LT, etc small screen

The only updates I get excited for are those that improve sound. I wouldn't want to stand in the way of people that want meters etc, but prefer developers time to go on tone and effects.

Polyphonic pitch wham and more slots in the Stomp, so it is a fully useable backup. 

• Downvote 1

Adding to this..I  wish HX Edit employed more "computer" features. For example, we have 1024 presets - I would love there to be filters where I could say "show me all presets with Cali rectifier" amp models, etc.... or the same thing with FX. That way, across all my preset banks, HX edit would show me those patches. If I am feeling in a 'metal' mood, I can show all my 'metal' presets vs. country ones, etc.

• Like 1

For Photographers here , like myself,  who use Lightroom to edit their images, you know that the application is a catalog and you can add a BUNCH of metadata to any image, like:

ISO, f-stop, shutter speed, camera used, lens used, focal length, GPS data, date, time, keywords, etc etc, and you can search for ANY image in your catalog to find any image in a few seconds!!

this is exactly how we need it to be for the Helix, where we can find ANY of our patches using this metadata tied to each patch like:

Artist, Band, Album, Song, guitar, pickup type, pickup selector setting, genre, amp used, efx used, etc etc.

This is exactly what they already have setup in the cloud for the tones for the Amplifi and the Firehawk FX since there is no custom tone like we have for Helix. This was very helpful to find patches very quickly.

This would be VERY helpful. And since its just metadata its just like a text file so it would take up VERY little space to the .hlx file or have a sidecar file which is the same name as the patch but a (patchname-xxx).hlt (helix text file) or whatever Line6 wants it to be.

this should not be a difficult thing and you can have a separate tab on the menu screen so you pull up a patch to see the signal chain and hit a different tab to enter/view all the keywords/metadata

Edited by kinglerxt
Type-o fix

To insert some kind of meta-data into the preset would be nice....like (in Windows) a right-click, properties.  Much like any other media file type.  This would especially be helpful when trying to remember which IR I used for that particular preset.

• Like 2

this already exists in a simple form. 

When you upload a custom tone of yours  into your "account" @ line 6 you have all kind of information you can enter about what was used to create that specific tone etc. 

It saves your patch and all the info.  You can access that from anywhere in the world as long as you have that internet thing, which you do. 

the wheel is already there. 

On 5/30/2018 at 3:12 PM, HonestOpinion said:

That was my first thought also as I use an iPad for lyrics

Off topic, but can I ask how you use the iPad for lyrics; reading them as you play along?  Is their an app or something that would scroll them?

I'm just looking for ways to have lyrics I can read along to as I sing instead of my binder with printed letter size sheets. 

4 hours ago, Heavyville said:

this already exists in a simple form. 

When you upload a custom tone of yours  into your "account" @ line 6 you have all kind of information you can enter about what was used to create that specific tone etc. 

It saves your patch and all the info.  You can access that from anywhere in the world as long as you have that internet thing, which you do. 

the wheel is already there. 

Are you sure? but is that info SEARCHABLE, not just free form text, but actual discrete fields that are searchable by not just the patch creator but ANYONE that uses/downloads that patch?? if not thats not what we are talking about

We are talking about metadata with multiple different fields.

Line6 knows what this is a they did it for Amplifi/FirehawkFX patches and are REQUIRED fields to be input BEFORE you are able to upload them to the cloud, so that others can find patches more easily, since those users DONT have the application we have in HX Edit and have to use an app instead to find patches and they dont use CustomTone but have their own ecosystem but this metadata feature IS a good part of that system

Edited by kinglerxt
Type-o fix

2 hours ago, Lone_Poor_Boy said:

Off topic, but can I ask how you use the iPad for lyrics; reading them as you play along?  Is their an app or something that would scroll them?

I'm just looking for ways to have lyrics I can read along to as I sing instead of my binder with printed letter size sheets. 

The program most people use (so Ive heard) is called "OnSong"

https://onsongapp.com/

lots of videos available online in how to do it

• Upvote 1

There’s Ultimate Guitar - a subscription service. Very large library of songs including lyrics, chords, tabs and printable sheets. Scrolls with adjustable speed for different songs. Supports setlists; allows you to select Favorites that are downloaded to your iPad so you don’t need an internet connection at gigs; includes teaching videos and resources; .... I find it worth the price.

• Upvote 1

Off-Topic from original: this is on Lyric/Chord sheets on a tablet

Thanks both.  I did start researching and did not realize this was out there. My binder and Word docs printed have served me well but it might be time to move on. I like the idea of the lyrics being larger and scrolling, instead of having three verses and a chorus, sometimes with chords, on one sheet of paper.

I will give OnSong and Ultimate Guitar a look.  Ultimate might not work for me as I do have chords for probably half of my songs and they will often be in a different key; unless they are advanced enough to allow key selection that auto-switches chords.

Time to get a new iPad I guess.  I gave my iPad4 away in November to a good cause. 

Silverhead: "downloaded to your iPad". Is this through iTunes?  I only ask because I try and avoid it at all costs.  I'm a PC person and just got the iPad for convenience, but will probably go with one again as I have found Android to be more fickle.

On 4/20/2020 at 1:51 PM, Lone_Poor_Boy said:

I use OnSong. Great piece of software that includes setlist management as well as allowing you to store lyrics and so many other features I won't bore you with. I use a Bluetooth pedal to change the pages for multi-page lyrics. It does have a feature where you can set the tempo of the song and it will auto-scroll for you but you are locked into that arrangement so I don't use that feature. For example, using auto-scroll if you do an extended solo your lyrics may now be displaying the wrong page. Here's OnSong's webpage:

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, HonestOpinion said:

I use OnSong. Great piece of software that includes setlist management as well as allowing you to store lyrics and so many other features I won't bore you with. I use a Bluetooth pedal to change the pages for multi-page lyrics. Here's their webpage:

Yes, thanks. That is looking really good!

17 hours ago, Lone_Poor_Boy said:

....unless they are advanced enough to allow key selection that auto-switches chords.

Silverhead: "downloaded to your iPad". Is this through iTunes?  I only ask because I try and avoid it at all costs.  I'm a PC person and just got the iPad for convenience, but will probably go with one again as I have found Android to be more fickle.

Yes, Ultimate Guitar supports key changes that change the chords appropriately.

No it doesn't use iTunes. Like any app it manages its own local storage on the device and uses that for local data and files.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Lone_Poor_Boy said:

Yes, thanks. That is looking really good!

Used to do the binder thing but switched over to iPad years ago and never looked back. Has nice notes and other details features for including key, tempo, arrangment, etc.. Just make sure you are not using polarized sunglasses for an outdoor gig. Renders the screen almost unreadable, at least on my older iPad Air. I just dropbox whatever lyrics I want to the iPad. Have probably a thousand songs stored now. Btw, you can flip the pages on the iPad with your Helix if you get an adapter but I never wanted to give up two switches for that purpose. One of the features my band used the most was the ability to beam each other the latest setlist as well as all the lyrics or chord chart. That saves everyone from having to set up their own.

• Like 1

I use Bandhelper as well.  Keeps whole band on the same setlist and if set up right the same page. I also use wireless Bluetooth MIDI adapters so Bandhelper sets my presets on Helix when I advance the setlist. It’s very handy and eliminates the between song tap dance.  It’s been very solid. I do copy paste lyrics, chords, and notes into from the desktop computer (for ease) and that syncs with the iPad. 

Guys you are missing the point the Helix owner shouldnt need a separate piece of software (many dont do live performances and dont need OnSong) to be able to add some basic meta data to their helix patches.

See screenshots from the FireHawkFX app which has these simple metadata fields that I am talking about that can easily be added on a separate tab in the HX Edit software for each patch created in the software (PC screen only / not shown on the unit itself)

Simple stuff to help you remember the basics and would help those who download someone elses patches.

If you get a CustomTone patch you cant go back to each customtone website link to remember which pickup or type guitar the creator used before you try it on your helix, especially if you download a BUNCH of cool patches all at once and try them later, as many of us do.

This simple metadata text info fields would help to solve that issue

See 2 screen caps below that Line6 uses already for the patches on the Amplifi/FirehawkFX cloud of patches

Helix1.jpg

Helix2.jpg

• 1 month later...

The idea is that not just the patch creator but also the person who downloaded the patch could edit the metadata (especially if the creator didnt enter in any metadata) so that you knew exactly what was what (tuning, guitar used, style, genre, artist, band, etc)

I would totally dig having the ability to save notes directly into my presets. I would make extensive use of it even if it weren't searchable. Even if they only showed while I was in HX Edit it would still rule.

• Upvote 1

• 3 years later...