Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX 4CM and LEVEL SETTINGS

Phil110567

Hi there !

I'm considering to use the 4CM (4 cables method). That's for the 4CM and the switching capabilities that I bought the HX in the first place.

I understand 4CM method very well.

"Send" is used to send guitar signal to amp input.

"Retrn1" is used to receive Preamp signal back from the amp.

Out is used to send the effected signal to the POWER amp.

This is clear and well documented but I have a concern with LEVEL settings :

In the manual, it said that the Send/Retrn1 may be setup to accommodate either Instrument or Line level FxLoop.

It's cool but in case of the 4CM, if your amp has a non-buffered loop, one part (send) should be setup to "Instrument" and the other should be setup to "Line".

Of course this is not possible as send and return have to be setup together.

What do you think of this problem ?

Have you ever heard of a it ?

Any workaround to suggest (except using a buffered loop!) ???

Thank you for your answer.

Good idea, the send and receive used separately, and not as  a pair, with level statemented...

Unfortunately  "Instr" or "Line" are global settings that are done for the pair and not separately for send and receive.

Although separate send & receives will work, you use up both loops  and need two blocks to accomplish what you want. Fine for some, not fine for others.

Instrument and line levels are merely starting points for levels. The loops themselves also have separate level controls for send and return. (ie: room for adjustment)

1. Set the loop to instrument level... why? Because the input of the amps is going to want to see that. 
  2. Adjust the loop "return level" to match your amps loop send as close as possible.
  3. Set the output on the HX to LINE as your loop will want to see that on the return.

(assuming that your amps loop is definitely line level)

5 hours ago, Phil110567 said:

In the manual, it said that the Send/Retrn1 may be setup to accommodate either Instrument or Line level FxLoop.

I have always found that very odd... since your "send" leading to an amp always needs to be instrument level while the return (from the amps loop send) can vary between instrument and line level). I wish manufacturers (all, not just L6) would provide separation for these setting on a loop. 

You're right ! I think it is odd, too.

Depending on the method ("Normal" / "4CM") the same functions are used for different purposes and then we reach a limit in the setup.

I'll have to use both loops. So it prevent me from using one for a pedal...

Thanks!

3 minutes ago, Phil110567 said:

I'll have to use both loops. So it prevent me from using one for a pedal...

Try the three steps I mentioned and compensate the loop return level (turn it down) on the HX. This will usually work (depending on your setup) and would save you an effects block and the 2nd loop.

• 3 weeks later...

Just learned about 4cm yesterday chasing a noise problem, and sort of ran into this- the back of my Blackstar has a switch that sets the loop level on the amp-  +4db / - 10 db. I tried the -10db setting first but seemed to lose signal so went to +4db then pretty much left the loop block unchanged.

The levels seem to be the same but that was at home at a much lower level than I play live. I was just so happy that the noise went away that I figured anything would work better!

On ‎5‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 10:13 AM, Phil110567 said:

The problem with levels compensation is that it  will depend on the loudness setting in the amp. From Rehearsal to gig it changes a lot and digital overload may occur

I'll have this issue as well, since I don't use my main amp for rehearsals, just a non-chan switching / no fx loop amp.

Codamedia, thanks for posting the 3 steps above.