Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix and Powercab 112 (not +): Helix Cabs/IR and Flat Powercab or Powercab speaker setting?

rbedsaul1

I'm new to both of these units and haven't developed a perspective on this yet.

So far, I've set up some Helix patches with no cab and no IR and use the Greenback speaker setting on the Powercab. Sounds good, but maybe it's not so versatile.

The other obvious option would be to just set the Powercab to the Flat Response setting and use Speaker/IR settings on the Helix that I can customize for each patch without having to touch the Powercab.

Or, are there other options that I'm not seeing?

Are these the 2 basic options? What are the pros / cons of each? What do you find that works best?

34 minutes ago, rbedsaul1 said:

I'm new to both of these units and haven't developed a perspective on this yet.

So far, I've set up some Helix patches with no cab and no IR and use the Greenback speaker setting on the Powercab. Sounds good, but maybe it's not so versatile.

The other obvious option would be to just set the Powercab to the Flat Response setting and use Speaker/IR settings on the Helix that I can customize for each patch without having to touch the Powercab.

Or, are there other options that I'm not seeing?

Are these the 2 basic options? What are the pros / cons of each? What do you find that works best?

Those are your basic options, yes.

What's "better" is really a question of what you need the rig to do, as opposed to evaluating pros and cons. If you're looking for the "amp in the room" thing, with just one or two basic tones,  then the first option is the way to go, as it will be the closest thing to using a "real" amp... it's a simpler set-up, but as you pointed out, somewhat less versatile. A greenback is a greenback no matter what you're pumping through it, and will color everything in a similar fashion... which might suit you just fine, it just depends on what you need/like.  

On the other hand, if you need to be able to go from searing high gain,  to a mild Marshall crunch, to a Fender clean, to an acoustic model on a Variax, then the first method ain't gonna work. In that case,  running the Powercab flat and using Helix's cabs or IR's will give you far more options... but it's more work, patch by patch.

• 1 month later...

You can easily change your speaker settings on the PowerCab Plus by using midi.  I run two in stereo and it works great.   I can even create presets with IRs and access them as well.  I programmed a FRFR preset on the PowerCab to accommodate my IRs on the Helix.  There is already a Flat preset you can use on the PowerCab (0) if you choose a cab in the Helix.  So many great options.  Hope that helps.