Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Youtube Mic Recording

Ok so as a gift I was given a new mic (audio Technica) but to use it I needed the line Pod 6 ux1, or at least I thought thats what I needed. The issue is I do not know how to record audio. Maybe if anyone has any experience with this could you give me some advice.

Hi Riversticks,

To start recording, here are a few things that might help:

- check if your microphone requires a thing called 'phantom power'. Mics like these are powered mics. If it doesn't then it should be fine with the UX1. The ux1 doesn't have phantom power to power phantom powered mics. If you have a phantom powered mic then you might think about getting a phantom power source. These can be found as separate units or as part of things like mixers or other things. You can then plug your mic cable into one of these and connect another cable this unit to the ux1's input. The UX2 for example has a built in phantom power ability.

- If you plan on recording things like music, then you might want to record different instruments/vocals in the one piece, so you will need a certain type of software to do this. These are usually called 'DAWs' or Digital Audio Workstations. This is just software to record things with. There are free and purchasable daws and you can download them online or buy them in shops. I use a DAW called Zynewave Podium and there is a free, and a purchasable version. Often the free versions have some limitations but the free version of podium allows near full use - except multi core use. It works with multi core computers but doesn't make use of the extra cores. There might be some other limitations too but I can't remember what they are. For normal use, this limitation isn't noticeable at all. Its worth having a look at various DAWS to see what you like more. One thing to note is that they can be very daunting and you might wonder if you will ever work out how to use them. This is the common experience of people. For example, I went for ages doing a thing a 'long way round' and then simply had another look at the daw's guide and found there was a simple keyboard shortcut to achieve that same thing :)  Repetitive use will soon make things easier, so its worth knowing before you start, to believe you can use it and will become able to use it easily after awhile. I am not sure what comes with the ux1 but it might have come with some recording software - possibly a lighter version of something.

If you are wanting to record single things - whether it be instruments or talking, you can use normal recording software. There are a number of free and purchasable recorders online and will allow this to be done. One more advanced free piece of software is called Audacity. It can record multiple things too like a daw, but I think it is focused more on normal recording situations. It has a lot of handy tools to edit recordings too.

- When you have decided about these things then you need to get things installed correctly. This will depend on what you decide to use and can sometimes be a bit tricky. The thing I say though is that this part is a 'one off' period in which you will have to think about these things. Once you have worked out exactly what settings are needed like 'sample rates', and numbers of 'ins' and 'outs', then you can usually set it and leave it and then you can get started recording. You won't need to think about these things again - well, every now and again you might need to adjust things but it should be fine.

- The Line 6 Audio-Midi Devices settings will probably need to be set for how you want - i.e. some settings depend on the computer's speed. If a computer has problems with crackles in the sound then there is a setting which can be set to increase the time that it takes between you playing a sound on an instrument or talking into the mic, and when you hear it come out of the ux1. It is a very slight delay. It is best to have it set for as little delay as possible but sometimes compromises are needed. There is a good video on this site which gives some other ways of adjusting computer settings to help allow as little delay as possible and prevent crackles etc.

- If you are recording music or something else where you want 2 or more things to play at once, often these are recorded separately. For example if you were recording a band/or solo musician playing various instruments or singing various parts, you would usually record maybe the drums first and then you set the DAW to the start of the recording again and as the DAW plays the drums recorded audio, the next musician might play along to that. For example a bassist might play to it. He/she will hear the drums (usually through headphones) and play along with it and the DAW will record that bass on what's called another 'track' (a separate recording which plays exactly at the same time as the other recording i.e. the drums). Then you might have a guitarist play along while listening to the drums and bass etc.

This isn't necessary, but it is a good way to record separate instruments without getting the sound of the other instruments on each instrument's recording. Sometimes a whole band might record at the same time and screens are put up to help separate the musicians' sounds. If it is just the one person playing all of the instruments or whatever, then recording with different tracks allows the person to record one and then go back and record the next instrument etc. and then when everything is finished, the compilation of all of the tracks can be played and saved and will sound like a full band or group of people playing/singing/talking or whatever. Daws also allow people to go back and fix mistakes. You get a visual representation of the sound on your screen and you can often see where things are needing to be fixed - for example, if you see that an instrument has played something before or after the beat, you could fix it up or select that little bit and re-record that tiny bit and it will 'slot' it into the recording.

- It's a fun thing trying out different things with recordings in daws and you keep learning things.

- After you have recorded everything that you want, you can then play about with how it sounds altogether. Then you can save it as various types of files and then either put it on a disc or upload it onto the internet, or on mp3 players etc. - whatever.

Sorry this hasn't been an exact guide. If you have a look at these things though, and think about what you might use, then I'm sure people with experience of those things (like particular daws) will be willing to help you set things up.

God Bless,

David

Hi again,

I have just noticed the title of your post, so I guess you are probably talking about using the mic for speech and mixed with video. If this is the case, and if you have video recording software, I would try seeing if it can select the ux1 as it's audio source and use this program to record the audio too. If not, then you can get bits of software to allow some DAWs to send audio to other programs. You can also record the audio on a daw or other audio recording program, and the video on another program and then later join the two in something like VirtualDub or other programs. The problem is that matching audio to video can be a bit tricky as audio is recorded at different rates to video and so things can get out of sync.

• 3 weeks later...