Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX effect and IR -

Phil110567

Hi there !

I know about IR as a mean to create cabinet simulation. I can't see how it applies to the HX effect.

Is acoustic IR   way to simulate typical acoustic guitar response ?

For example, is an acoustic IR intended to simulate an acoustic guitar response from an electric ?

Do you use acoustic IR ? what kind of usage ?

I use acoustic IR's to change the sound/timbre of an acoustic guitar. People have also been able to get electric guitars to sound acoustic using acoustic body IR's, I find  results vary in this category and going electric to acoustic sounds takes a bit more dialing in. 

I've found that Acoustic IR's while using my Acoustic is truly where this shines for me.  It helps provide a more mic'd sound rather than direct in even before EQ.   My chain goes Compressor > IR > Para EQ.

I've also found that Cab IR's are useful when I don't want to carry my 4x12 cab around.  I can still use my Marshall JVM410H amp for the pre-amp, and with the HX in 4CM configuration.  And the Cab IR's really do sound not that bad.

In a third method, I split the signal and use both my 4x12 and an IR to the PA.  I could use the Emulated out on the JVM410H for this, but I'm already connected from my board to the PA for my acoustic.  Therefore I don't need to take up to channels on the mixer.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Phil110567 said:

I know about IR as a mean to create cabinet simulation. I can't see how it applies to the HX effect.

There are many uses for a cabinet IR in the HX. Just because the HX is marketed as a "pedal board in front of an amp" does not mean it is limited to just that. The routing options make it very versatile.

Just a couple IR cabinet uses.... 

• 4cm setup.... split path after return from the amp. Use a cabinet IR in one path to send directly to a recording device, console, etc... etc... while sending the other path back to your amp for stage use. 
  • Any "amp in the box" pedal can be placed in an effects loop... (eg: Mesa V-Twin, Catalinbread RAH or DLS, etc... etc...) then insert an IR and send the signal directly to recording or console. 

As for other IR uses.... I use them on my acoustic, dobro, classical, mandolin, banjo, etc... etc... Finding a nice IR (or creating your own) can add a lot of depth to some acoustic instruments. They are not intended to make an electric guitar sound like another instrument... but you can certainly experiment to varying degrees of success.