Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Saturday gig report

patdixon

So I got up the nerve to finally use my LT on a paying gig and it worked 100% flawlessly. As mentioned before I have the amp chan switching on certain presets which worked every time, as well as the wah block engaging @ 5% of the EXP pedal also per preset. The various mult on/off blocks worked as expected with no "pedal dance", as did the momentary delays.

The band leader texted me yesterday to say my "new board" sounded great. He had complained previously about processing noise coming from the X3L between songs, none of which is present with the Helix.

FYI, I'm using it as a stomp with no amp/cab sims going straight into a Blackstar HT40. There is one preset that I'd like to incorporate Ben Vesco's amp patches which will be next time.

Thank you for all the help,  I'm very glad I got it.

The interesting thing for me is that I actually love the sound of my amp, hence no amp/cab sims. In another post I mentioned that my first purchase was an HXFX but it didn't work out & I'm glad because it doesn't do all the things the LT does, just as the LT doesn't do everything the proper Helix does. I guess I could find a suitable amp model and only use the clean amp channel but I think that's over complicating things a bit.

I do use amps/cabs when playing at church, going direct to FOH so I'm using some of that.

As mentioned above I have one of Ben Vesco's tones  that I've loaded, just haven't had time to incorporate it into my rig. When I do I'll report on how it works.

Thanks

If you have an amp with a tube power section, I high recommend using the FX loop block and wiring via 4cm.  This way, you can experiment with the preamps in Helix.  You might find a whole other world at your fingertips.  I have done this with my Mesa TC-100 and the Archon preamp - absolutely amazing response - almost a better preamp than the Mesa!  When the Helix 2 comes out, I might just re-invest into a rack setup (Helix/Power Conditioner/Wireless/Tube Power Amp) using this method.  

On 6/4/2018 at 10:57 AM, patdixon said:

So I got up the nerve to finally use my LT on a paying gig and it worked 100% flawlessly. As mentioned before I have the amp chan switching on certain presets which worked every time, as well as the wah block engaging @ 5% of the EXP pedal also per preset. The various mult on/off blocks worked as expected with no "pedal dance", as did the momentary delays.

2 dumb questions but what is the Wah engaging @ 5%, does that mean when the pedal moves more than 5%? That would be awesome and make me revisit the Wahs on the Helix. I never found one I like so I gave up and started using my bad horsie again, the plus is it’s auto engage.

Also what are momentary delays?

35 minutes ago, shawnt113 said:

does that mean when the pedal moves more than 5%? That would be awesome and make me revisit the Wahs on the Helix. I never found one I like so I gave up and started using my bad horsie again

Yes. I found 2 different wahs on the Helix that I really like, the weeper & the Fassel.

36 minutes ago, shawnt113 said:

Also what are momentary delays?

Instead of latching the switch can be setup to only engage when pressed (like a hold). Two of the most useful tricks about Helix IMO.

Sorry I don't remember page #s but both are explained in the manual.