Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Recording acoustic guitar through PadFarm

HI all.  So I'm trying to record acoustic guitar through PodFarm and into Cubase. I'm running Cubase 8.5 and using UX2 with Rode NT1 mic.  No problems with recording but can't seem to get a good  enough sound. I'd love to hear what folks on here use settings wise for recording acoustics. Am I best to use no effects and run through PodFarm as dry as possible or use things differently.

I'd love to hear what you've had work best for you.

Thanks all! :)

It depends on what sound you are after. I'm sure everyone does it a different way. I usually record acoustic with just a dry sound and eq the sound with a preamp or the multiband eq in cubase to get it sounding what I imagine. Then copying the original recording to another track or re-record the same part and add an amp model and any effects I want and pan one track 10% or 20% left and 10% or 20% right. Adding subtle layers and panning is a regular thing for me

15 hours ago, Gaz_Ham said:

It depends on what sound you are after. I'm sure everyone does it a different way. I usually record acoustic with just a dry sound and eq the sound with a preamp or the multiband eq in cubase to get it sounding what I imagine. Then copying the original recording to another track or re-record the same part and add an amp model and any effects I want and pan one track 10% or 20% left and 10% or 20% right. Adding subtle layers and panning is a regular thing for me

Thanks Gaz_Ham. Just trying for a nice bright sound, especially with fingers. Will definitely try some of these ideas!

• 3 months later...
On 6/11/2018 at 9:09 PM, fflbrgst said:

If you are trying to get a brighter sound when finger playing an acoustic, I wouldn't use PodFarm at all.  Get a good dry recording, then just use any EQ plug in you have in Cubase.

Sorry for the late reply. Only problem is I am using a UX2 so I need to use Podfarm to get it to operate as far as I'm aware.

Personally , I use the line6 piezacoustic 2 amp/compressor to reamp the dry signal for acoustic.

You will be best to mess around with a few different amps/preamps.

I prefer a lot of the line6 amp models over the copied amp models.

1 hour ago, Gaz_Ham said:

Personally , I use the line6 piezacoustic 2 amp/compressor to reamp the dry signal for acoustic.

You will be best to mess around with a few different amps/preamps.

I prefer a lot of the line6 amp models over the copied amp models.

Thanks for the info Gaz_Ham

10 hours ago, AusMakka said:

Sorry for the late reply. Only problem is I am using a UX2 so I need to use Podfarm to get it to operate as far as I'm aware.

You do not need PF to record to your DAW. You only need it to create patches and directly monitor the wet signal.

A work flow I like to use with the UX2 is to capture wet and dry signals simultaneous and add PF and/or other plug-ins post processing to the dry track. The wet ids to remind me of the tone I was going for, but that would apply more to electric guitar.

• 1 year later...

Record both a dry signal and your podfarm shizzle at the same time, one take, one mic on 2 seperate tracks?? I wonder if thats what youre getting at? I just figured this out today with little help from internet these cubase people speak the lingo but its all just jargon to me confuses the lollipop out of me. But i did it just took me a week thats all. Been setting up for weeks aint recorded lollipop yet. Its cool though the ux2 and cubase wish id have got into it sooner