Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HD Pro X without Footboard (using MIDI)

muech011

Hi Community.

I am still looking for a solution on how to use the POD without Floorboard. Just with plain MIDI. It is not a matter of how to change programs or send CCs for the Pedals. It is a matter of how to programm the POD.

Let's say I want to use EXP1 for the Volume of the Amp. There is no problem to set the Min and Max value, let's say to 70 and 100. Setting the Values in the Editor and using a MIDI-Board to test it works ok. Having the Pedal at MIN and save the Patch works.

Now the problem: Every time I select the patch the Volume of the Amp goes to MAX Value instead of the MIN value. I really need it to go to MIN value on programm change.

So here's the question: How can I programm the POD to have initially all MIN-Values after a programm change.

And no, there's no way to use a Line6 Board. All guitar parameters are set via midi by our stage sequencer.

Thanks in advance

ChriS

1 hour ago, hurghanico said:

since the device initially defaults to what would be the the amp volume MAX value,

how would it be if you set the amp volume MIN and MAX values in reverse?.. ie set the MIN to what would be the MAX, and the MIN to would be the MAX?..

and if the expression pedal is used only for volume, its wires (or polarity) could be reversed too, to make it work as usual (not reversed)

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All about POD HD500/X

new forum/blog

Thanks for the reply. I guess that's what I will end up with. The example was just the Volume but it also goes to effect parameters. So it will make an even "ugly" work (the programming and midi files) a bit more ugly.

I would prefer a more comfortable way. So if anyone is aware of another possibility it really would be of help.

ChriS

An amp paramater (any parameter) should load from the exact position it was stored... those paramaters cannot read MIDI until a midi message is sent. 

Try this...

1: Setup the amp... and turn the output volume to the location you want to use as a default.... let's say 70%.

2: Now setup your min/max volumes and save.

3: Now change patches.... the paramater should load to 70% 

4: To really test this.... turn the output volume to 0 and save the patch. It should always load completed off, and will not respond to the "min 70 - max 100" until that midi pedal moves. 

I don't own an HD Pro (I realize it may be different), but that is how it works on my HD500. Regardless of MIN/MAX values, the paramater always loads to the position I have explicitly set it to. (I don't think adjusting by midi and saving it will work... set it by the knobs on the unit)

2 hours ago, hurghanico said:

as you can see above here the OP already said that he set the Pedal to MIN and then saved the patch, ie with the parameter value already set to the wanted starting value, but re-loading the patch the parameter value goes back to its MAX setting..

I saw that, I was just trying to provide another thing to try :) 

I just hooked up my HD500 with a midi controller (keyboard) and ran some tests. I can confirm the exact behavior the OP has noticed... as soon as midi establishes a connection, the unit defaults to the MAX value when the patch is recalled. Without a midi controller you can set any "recall" level regardless of the min-max values that are set - that's why this confused me. 

In a further test I did swap the MIN/MAX value on the HD (as you earlier suggested) and it worked the way the op wanted... but of course you also need to reverse the "min/max" values on the controller, and many controllers (not all) will not allow a min to be lower than a max settings. On the bright side, some controllers have a simple "invert" option which would make it a lot easier.

So - there is a messy way to accomplish it that may work, but it would be much easier if a "default setting" could be recalled regardless of the min/max settings. 

Wow, thanks for the answers. It's useful hints. I think there will be a lot of testing ahead. I own the POD for one and a half year now. I am pretty happy with the sounds and used my old TC G-Major for the controlled parameters. But it is obvious that using a second effect gear just because of the midi limitations of the first one is not a solution (and I need rack space for other toys :-). So I have started this project which causes a lot of testing, programming and again testing.

I was also thinking of getting an FBV3 instead of the midi board. But since we are usually playing big scenes (and using the midi boards midi in/out as some kind of midi line driver for the distance between the stage sequencer to the POD) this leads to the problem of missing midi in/out of the FBV3.

Every solution I found up till now has a backdraw. Difficult to find the least significant one to start over. So your input is highly appreciated. Thanks a lot.

Chris