Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

usb recording not as defined that headphone sound

olivierJez

Hiya,

Has anybody experience recording via usb and when listening not getting the rendition you were hearing through headphone ?

I was playing with a very lead sound some very defined legato licks. While recording, i was very pleased with the sound and fingering, but when i listen the recording it feels somewhat messy kind of clippy. Like if there is not enough bit depth and some notes are getting muddy. The tone is there, just the fine subtleties of the fingering that are affected.

I have never really noticed the problem before, but to be honest it could be i simply didn't pay attention enough. We are more in the realm of subtle, which i m not always :)

I am using logic pro X with both the project settings and the helix set to 48Khz recording. Helix is on 2.50 firmware

I suppose i have to try setting the helix to 96KHz to see if it makes a difference, but i have to let my session to 48Khz or i will not be able to match any video recording, and i always though 48K was good enough that you would not ear a diff.

But in the meantime if anybody experienced something similar that can be useful.

Cheers,

Olivier

Changing the sample rate setting in the Helix doesn't affect the USB audio. It only affects the S/PDIF and AES/EBU outs. But what you're describing isn't something that would be because of the sample rate, anyway. Are you recording your track in stereo?

One thing that can make a difference is the Global EQ. It will affect the 1/4" and XLR outs (depending on the settings you have in it) and the headphone outs, but it won't affect the signal being sent to Logic over USB.

i don't have any global EQ set and i tried the patch with a bit of high cut, which is i thing where i can feel the issue.

I even tried recording the raw direct sound and use native instead, the problem is still there.

It does really feel like tiny compression or micro time skip issue. If i had listen to it in the mix from start i would have just think i had be a bit sloppy, but i was really doing a little lick test.

I guess I have to try few things and tick them off before getting back here.

I'll suggest a few things... I'm not saying I'm right, they are just suggestions to see if they may apply to you. 

1: How are you monitoring the playback? If it is not the same (eg: headphones) then it should be, make sure you compare apples to apples. 

2: IMO, the mind can play a lot of tricks on you... In the studio my recorded parts never sound the way they did when I played them, regardless of how they were recorded or monitored. I have learned that I listen differently when I am playing compared to when I am just listening. This is not just with a modeler like a Helix... this has been happening to me for 35 years - LOL! It's like listening to your own voice played back... "that's not me"! 

3 hours ago, olivierJez said:

It does really feel like tiny compression or micro time skip issue. If i had listen to it in the mix from start i would have just think i had be a bit sloppy, but i was really doing a little lick test.

THAT sounds like latency to me. Latency will effect timing, but shouldn't effect tone in any way. If the part is a little "off" on it's timing, I can see it manifesting as a tone issue. 

Another thing is physical feedback is missing on the recorded file.

The sound of your fingers, neck noise like frets, strings, and the pick clang of you physically being there is no longer mixing in with your monitor'd sound. (as you are touching the guitar with added vibration feedback)  Even if the preset you used to monitor, is exactly the same as the one you are ReAmping with. Native, or Hardware, the physical element is no longer there. 

If you are not use to recording much, or recently started doing it at lower volumes, this might become more noticeable.

Also if you don't have your ASIO settings correct/optimal then you might be experiencing latency like mentioned above, but a lot of this is going to be fixed if you edit (mult/comp) your guitar takes.  IF you are wet monitoring through your Helix hardware this shouldn't be an issue anyway. Just a little bit of nudging in editing.