Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Cubase Help

I have a spider v and cubase LE 9.5.  I'm trying to record a guitar part and a drum loop with no success.  I downloaded the latest drivers and watched various tutorials I found but have been banging my head against a wall because I can't get it to work.  I can see where the guitar was recorded (track 1 in screen shot), but when playing back, I get nothing (not muted.)  However if drag and drop the guitar piece I recorded into a new track I can hear it.  What am I doing wrong? Also, how do I change the output to where everything plays back through my pc speakers?  When I try to change the output device, the only option is the amp.   Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

screen 4.png

screen1.png

screen2.png

screen3.png

• 2 weeks later...

I am having a very simialr problem but I havent even gotten this far.

I was hoping that I could record direct via the usb to my laptop but from everything I am finding you need either an adapter for the xlr cable of a mic or an audio interface and a real mic.

I also thought that since the Spider V has xlr outs, I could maybe use those with an adapter to usb to capture the guitar parts??

But if not, what is the least expensive audio interface to buy and set up for use with cube base le and win 10 on a laptop and the Spider V??

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for any help.

Matt

Not sure what Jaessica7's issue with Cubase is.

12 hours ago, lumper said:

I was hoping that I could record direct via the usb to my laptop but from everything I am finding you need either an adapter for the xlr cable of a mic or an audio interface and a real mic.

You can record direct via USB.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I figured out that devices is now Studio, I got that part.

I was able to actually get it to record somehow, I really do not know how or what to do with it now or how to save it, etc..

This thing is very complicated, isn't there a super simple version for idiots like me that just want to press record and then save?

Matt

So, I found out that device tab is now called Studio tab, uggg 

anyway, I thought this would be great, easy and fun, but it is literally so complicated I am stressed.

What if you arent a recording engineer?

I just want a simple program, I want to select, new project, then record and then go, when I am done hit stop, save and move on with my life, why is this so hard!!??

• 2 months later...
On 6/6/2018 at 4:00 AM, Jaessica7 said:

I have a spider v and cubase LE 9.5.  I'm trying to record a guitar part and a drum loop with no success.  I downloaded the latest drivers and watched various tutorials I found but have been banging my head against a wall because I can't get it to work.  I can see where the guitar was recorded (track 1 in screen shot), but when playing back, I get nothing (not muted.)  However if drag and drop the guitar piece I recorded into a new track I can hear it.  What am I doing wrong? Also, how do I change the output to where everything plays back through my pc speakers?  When I try to change the output device, the only option is the amp.   Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

This is probably a bit late, but in case other people have the same problem here is a possible solution: Judging from your screenshot, you forgot to disable the orange "monitor" button (the little speaker icon under the track name on the left) when playing back the track after recording.  That's why it's probably playing back when copied to a new track where that button is disabled.

As for the output: You can change your output device in the VST Audio System Window, where it says "ASIO Spider V" ASIO Driver. Please note that  you can only use one soundcard at a time comfortably, so either pick your onboard soundcard (which outputs to your PC speakers) OR the Spider V.
There are complicated ways to setup multiple device through software such as ASIO4ALL, but it is not something I would advice. I  recommend using the Spider V only for recording your guitar.

On 6/20/2018 at 12:42 AM, lumper said:

I am having a very simialr problem but I havent even gotten this far.

I also thought that since the Spider V has xlr outs, I could maybe use those with an adapter to usb to capture the guitar parts??

But if not, what is the least expensive audio interface to buy and set up for use with cube base le and win 10 on a laptop and the Spider V??

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for any help.

Matt

To clear a few things up:

1) You can connect the Spider V via USB directly to your laptop, which will serve as a digital connection to your laptop. This enables you to record your guitar through the Spider V directly into Cubase LE.

2) You do not need any adapters to do so, a simple USB cable is sufficient.

3) Even though it is a version with reduced features, Cubase LE is still a very powerful software that allows you to produce full-fledged songs. I highly doubt that you will be able to just wing it. If you want to keep using it, you will have to study the manual or watch some video tutorials video tutorial about the software. This is not a self-explanatory software, where you just press a button and are up and running within 2 minutes if you have never used it before.

4) Note: If you want to record signals through a microphone (i.e. vocals) you can not do that with the Spider V. You will need a separate USB-Audio Interface which features XLR-ins, a preamp to power the microphone and phantom power for condenser mics.

If that is your goal, a cheap option would be the Steinberg UR22 mkII:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/UR22MKII--steinberg-ur22mkii