Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix vs LT - LT limitations on dual amps

ckeibler85

I just purchased a used Helix for about $100 more than I could get a new LT for... And I'm thinking maybe the LT may be enough for me now!

I was under the impression that the Helix LT couldnt support Dual amp/cab paths... but I think I was wrong about that (actually the AX8)

regarding the microphone input (because that would be somewhat useful to me) can you run two seperate instruments paths AND a seperate mic path?  3 seperate paths?

I'm just thinking id be willing to deal with the LT for a little bit less money and the abilitiy to have a warranty.  what is the helix LT warranty?  how does line 6 do with warranty issues.

I dont think i'd need 4 effects loops for real.  and I'd like the scribble strips but I dont think they are nescessary, but I've got a pretty good deal on a used Helix.

What do you all think?  Sorry i know this has been asked a million times since the LT came out

The LT supports all signal chains that the Helix and Helix Rack do with the only caveat being it has less physical ins and outs. There’s only one stereo FX Loop (two mono) on the LT compared to the two stereo (four mono) on the Helix and Rack. There’s also no Aux In jack or Mic input on the LT. It has the same processing power, though.

27 minutes ago, phil_m said:

The LT supports all signal chains that the Helix and Helix Rack do with the only caveat being it has less physical ins and outs. There’s only one stereo FX Loop (two mono) on the LT compared to the two stereo (four mono) on the Helix and Rack. There’s also no Aux In jack or Mic input on the LT. It has the same processing power, though.

Word- I've read a few things regarding Line 6's warranty work- one thing I read is that you only get 1 year with a new helix purchase and Line 6 wont even replace it- you have to replace it through the place you bought it- then i saw Line 6 offered an extension.  How is the durability of these units?  Anyone have one fail completely and just have to get another oor hear about that happening?

supposedly the big boy helix has a better chassis which could be nice i suppose.  Should I just buy a new one from a place with good return policy like sweetwater?  or are they known to be pretty sturdy?

what if a helix just crashes and fails with software problems and there is no physical damage at all to the unit as well as no electrical damage from bad power or spikes or whatever?  does line 6 own up to this kind of thing?

Thanks a bunch!

3 minutes ago, ckeibler85 said:

Word- I've read a few things regarding Line 6's warranty work- one thing I read is that you only get 1 year with a new helix purchase and Line 6 wont even replace it- you have to replace it through the place you bought it- then i saw Line 6 offered an extension.  How is the durability of these units?  Anyone have one fail completely and just have to get another oor hear about that happening?

supposedly the big boy helix has a better chassis which could be nice i suppose.  Should I just buy a new one from a place with good return policy like sweetwater?  or are they known to be pretty sturdy?

what if a helix just crashes and fails with software problems and there is no physical damage at all to the unit as well as no electrical damage from bad power or spikes or whatever?  does line 6 own up to this kind of thing?

Thanks a bunch!

Line 6 has gone out its way to make things right for people who’ve had problems with things. There’s literally nothing to worry about in that regard.

I would find out if the former Helix owner ever used the $300 discount that the Helix gets you for a copy of Native. Also I believe the Helix warranty is transferable if the seller can provide you with proof of purchase. I have to say if the Helix is in good working order and only a $100 more than an LT, especially if the discounted Native was still available, I would be inclined to go for the used Helix.

On 6/8/2018 at 4:03 AM, ckeibler85 said:

Thanks a bunch!

This is one reason I get certain gear from Thomann that offer a full 3 year warranty, regardless of the manufacturer's own warranty.
I've only ever used it once, a Apogee Duet card died on me 2.5 years after purchase, got it replaced with a brand new,
no hassle at all.

Just ordered a LT from them btw ;) I find I don't really use any of the added goodies of the full Helix,
and the performance mode of the LT is just genius to be honest.

So if you want to run two inputs into the helix LT you have to use one of the fx loop returns?

on the big boy- Is the aux input stereo?  Like could you just run a stereo synth into the aux input? 

on the LT it has 3 sets of stereo outs- the XLR and 1/4" and the headphone... If I used the main input and the two fx loop returns as inputs could I use the 3 sets of stereo outs (xlr 1/4 and headphone) to get three stereo outputs?  Is that even doable on the big guy?  three stereo outs from 3 mono in's?  assuming i'd be using stereo fx for the need for stereo outs.... probably wouldnt but I'm pretty curious on running a synth and drum machine from a mixer into the helix for maybe just some synced delays.

Man i'm already planning like yeh im gonna need to run a mixer with a drum machine and synth before the helix so i can process it and have some strymon and ehx pedals in the fx loop so I can use them on both my guitar and synth!  ridic

ohhhh, but now I believe I read that you can only use an fx loop on one signal route.  or is that one instance of fx loop per route?  say I was using multiple signals with different instruments and I had a strymon timeline in the stereo fx loop 1 (on the big helix of course) would I be able to use the strymon on both signals?  that seems like it could confuse the lollipop out of the strymon though haha.  I'd imagine thats not possible.... I

annnndddd....

The helix I was looking at the owner has the original receipt but he bought it in february of 2017 and did not register for the extra year of warranty.  it basically says you have to register the warranty within a year to get the extra year on this forum (one of the stickies)- This is a pretty big point for me for security.  

Does anyone know if I would be able to purchase the 3 year extension warranty from line 6 in this situation?  I'd be willing to do that

14 hours ago, ckeibler85 said:

The helix I was looking at the owner has the original receipt but he bought it in february of 2017 and did not register for the extra year of warranty.  it basically says you have to register the warranty within a year to get the extra year on this forum (one of the stickies)- This is a pretty big point for me for security.  

Does anyone know if I would be able to purchase the 3 year extension warranty from line 6 in this situation?  I'd be willing to do that

Sounds like it is definitely time to contact Line6 directly and ask them if they will honor the second year as well as whether they will allow you to purchase the extended warranty.

On 6/9/2018 at 7:55 AM, RichardLainegard said:

I find I don't really use any of the added goodies of the full Helix,
and the performance mode of the LT is just genius to be honest.

^       ^

I actually like the LT big screen better & prefer it to scribble strips. You can make either one work with a little TLC.