Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Beyerdynamic DT 770- impedance?

ckeibler85

I see a lot on here about beyerdynamic being a recommended headphone- I've used some beyers before and I dug em- the price is right too.  definitely better than the shure 280's i had.  

Questions- There are like 5 impedance ratings- which one works best with helix?  what about other stuff?  I've seen 32, 64, 250 (250?) and now i just saw 16ohm!  

wouldnt you need a pretty solid headphone amp to play the super low impedance versions?  is there any real advantage to them?  I guess I'd eventually like to have a headphone amp and dac but right now I dont.

Also it seems the DT 880's get quite a bit better reviews and they are only SEMI open back- ive owned open back headphones before and thought they sounded amazing, just super natural and 3 dimensional- not as much booming bass but thats a good thing most of the time.  however- they SUCK on airplanes and trains though and really anywhere but a DEAD quiet room.  even an air conditioner or a fan can mess with them.  my question is "how open" are the 880's.  can you monitor while recording with condensors or is that a bad idea?

thanks a bunch guys and gals!

10 hours ago, ckeibler85 said:

wouldnt you need a pretty solid headphone amp to play the super low impedance versions?  

It's the other way around... high impedance = greater resistance. It's the higher impedance cans that sometimes need a headphone amp.  I wouldn't suggest anything rated at 16 ohms...that's almost ear bud territory. You might find that things will start to clip at relatively low volumes. 

I use AKG701's @ 55 ohms. Sounds great, and I have to crank them to an uncomfortably loud volume before they start clipping. 

10 hours ago, ckeibler85 said:

There are like 5 impedance ratings- which one works best with helix?  what about other stuff?  I've seen 32, 64, 250 (250?) and now i just saw 16ohm!  

Don’t forget the 80ohm! I use the DT770 Pro 80ohm with Helix and am quite happy with them.

I'll chime in, since this information is always useful to me: I'm using the B-D DT-990 at 250 Ohms (purchased for $95 from Amazon during a sale), and they're by far my favorite headphones.  They're open-back, I really like the wider soundstage.  I usually route the audio output through a mixer, and then plug my headphones into that, mainly because it makes it easier for me to control volume through the mixer.  It works well directly, too.

The higher impedance (250 ohms) is a bit of a problem without a headphone amp: If I'm using it with a recording device or cell phone, I usually need to max out the volume to get it to sound moderately loud (I usually listen at low volumes).  I'm sure that adding a headphone amp would help with the sound, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.  If I could do it over again, I think I'd go for the 80ohm ones (just for convenience).  There's lots of talk about this on headphone enthusiast sites.  Here's a good starting point: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/guide-sonic-differences-between-dt770-dt990-models-more.513393/. 

Also, if you're looking for a good deal on these, I suggest looking at http://slickdeals.net.  I think they have a listing for some on sale right now. 

I hope this helps!

There are some great deals on the 80 ohms version of the DT-770. I went with the 250 Ohm version and the Helix Floor has no problem powering the 250 Ohm DT-770. Nor does my Dell XPS 15 Touch.

Your laptop must have a decent enough sound card.  Ive read a bunch that even some lower priced DAC/headphone amps dont have enough power for the 250ohms.

Will 80ohms work well with an iphone (one without the headphone jack- where I'd be using the lightning to headphone adapter)- itd be nice to have some good cans for just listening to tunes on the go.

and are 16ohms like that much worse quality- I've found some going for less than $80 

21 hours ago, MusicLaw said:

There are some great deals on the 80 ohms version of the DT-770. I went with the 250 Ohm version and the Helix Floor has no problem powering the 250 Ohm DT-770. Nor does my Dell XPS 15 Touch.

so why did you go with the 250ohm if the 80ohm are cheaper (in general you can find them for a decent bit less) and more compatible

The higher impedance 250 suits my needs better. Not only w/ the Helix Floor, but also with various other Studio, commercial Audio, and Radio Transmissiom & Broadcast systems I use. I got the 250 for a great price; just a few more dollars than what I subsequently saw the 80 Ohm version had come down to. I also have quite a few other sets of headphones too. Grab a pair of the 80's if you wish, I've seen them recently for as low as $119!