Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Simulating amp channel switching on HX models

shawnt113

I’ve mentioned it in Idea Scale but wanted to here as well. One of the BIGGEST draw backs of the Helix for me is there is no A/B or X/Y amp model ability to simulate switching amp models. The closest I can get is a mixer out to 2 amp models and switch between the two which GREATLY impacts which amp models you can use. Someone has suggested using scenes and I suppose reducing the drive of the amp but this is not the fix I am looking for. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

i don’t want to use a separate preset to avoid gaps in preset changes.

thanks

I don´t see why you would want the X/Y option (just like axe fx), since we have the snapshots...
Set one to channel 1 of your amp and using snapshot 2, set the configuration for the channel 2.
I would say that the snapshots feature is a lot more interesting than a X/Y option, since you can have all the parameters change using them...so you could simulate 8 amps using Helix ....

It is annoying to set all the parameters to snapshot feature, but onde you have done it.....forget about X/Y ....unlimited options!

5 hours ago, shawnt113 said:

Am I wrong though that even when using snapshots you have to use the same amp model?

You can’t switch the model in a given amp block, but you can accomplish what you’re taking about a bunch of different ways with the Helix. You can simply have two amp models in series and turn one off when you turn the other on. You can use dual paths and switch back and forth between them. The reason the AX8 uses the X/Y switching in the amp block is that one of the processors in AX8 is dedicated to amp modeling and IR loading. On the Helix, both processors are available for anything. Really, from a signal chain perspective, the Helix offers a lot more flexibility.

That’s what I’m doing now, switching between 2 amp models, the problem is if you ad an IR, a drive, a reverb and delay, the amps you can use are DRASTICALLY limited.

i own a Fractal Axe FXII and have to say the X/Y switching is wonderful. It’s a part of the beauty of having a dedicated processor to amp sims.

54 minutes ago, shawnt113 said:

That’s what I’m doing now, switching between 2 amp models, the problem is if you ad an IR, a drive, a reverb and delay, the amps you can use are DRASTICALLY limited.

i own a Fractal Axe FXII and have to say the X/Y switching is wonderful. It’s a part of the beauty of having a dedicated processor to amp sims.

Are you putting the amp models on the same path? If you spread things out over both processors, you should have more power available. Or perhaps try putting both amp models on Path 1 and the IR and reverb on Path 2.