Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Speakers/Monitors for home HD500X setup?

khawkins75

New guy here.

Any recommendations on budget small-ish speakers for a home setup?  My HD500X will be here next week, and I want to run it into some speakers in my home office.  I just play at home, not live, so that's what I'm planning to do.  The signals going into the speakers will be my guitar from the HD500X, and my computer or iPod.

Some options I've checked that look promising are the Mackie CR4 and Edifier R1700BT.  Or, there's the passive route with the Polk T15 and a small amp.

Any advice?  I'd like to just do this once and be done.....for a bit, anyway.

• Thanks 1

another supporter of the BX8s right here

For your purposes, I checked out the ones you noted above. I would probably choose the Mackie CR4 over the Edifier. I would not go the passive route. One thing I'd look for so you aren't upgrading later is having powered speakers with XLR inputs so you can go direct to the speakers / monitors through a balanced connection. Youc an do the XLR to 1/4" cable but what I like about the BX8s is XLR to XLR and I can still use the unbalanced 1/4" output to the amp if I want and switch between Line level and Amp level.

Let us know what you end up choosing!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm using a single Event ASP8 that I picked up used and am very happy with the sound. 

Perhaps someone can chime in as to why a second one would add much utility. I suppose it would allow you to run a dual signal path with two different amps, but that seems kind of niche. 

Quite frankly, it doesn't matter. 

If you have no intentions of taking it out of your bedroom. And you made no mention of recording. Then, it simply does not matter. You design your tones around the speakers that the noise is coming from. It only makes a difference if you intend on using something different. 

Take me, as an example. 

I will use the headphones that came with my cell phone. I have $20 computer speakers (which may have been $5 twenty years ago). I have JBL Eons. I have pa systems. I have Hollywood production studio equipment (I work for ABC/Disney). My home stereo. A guitar amp. I mean, I have access to gear out the wazoo. The list of what I use is endless.  

But I only design my tones on certain items. Because only certain items give a clear, unbiased, tone which will translate well to any source. 

I can't design tones on those Samsung ear buds because there is too much bass being added. BUT, if the only thing I was ever going to use was those ear buds, then I could design my tones without the bass to compensate for the extra bass they provide. But design them that way, and then use them on the Eons, they will sound thin and tinty. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/8/2018 at 5:27 PM, khawkins75 said:

Any recommendations on budget small-ish speakers for a home setup?  My HD500X will be here next week, and I want to run it into some speakers in my home office.  I just play at home, not live, so that's what I'm planning to do.  The signals going into the speakers will be my guitar from the HD500X, and my computer or iPod.

Thank you for starting this thread.  I'm in exactly the same situation and need to find some replacement speakers for my system.  The responses are helpful.

On 6/14/2018 at 11:27 AM, stormstudios said:

For your purposes, I checked out the ones you noted above. I would probably choose the Mackie CR4 over the Edifier. I would not go the passive route. One thing I'd look for so you aren't upgrading later is having powered speakers with XLR inputs so you can go direct to the speakers / monitors through a balanced connection. Youc an do the XLR to 1/4" cable but what I like about the BX8s is XLR to XLR and I can still use the unbalanced 1/4" output to the amp if I want and switch between Line level and Amp level.

Does anyone have any idea what he said?  lol

10 hours ago, Strat2Die4 said:

Are you sure it is not 88%? ;)

Positive.

4 hours ago, joel_brown said:

But I was never good at Math.  I can't count the number of times that Math has alluded me.

OMG.  That was awful!  Great job.