Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Line 6 Helix

sounduru

Hello Everyone

I don't know if this is the right thread to post this but I will go ahead and post this anyway.

I decided to buy a Helix a few weeks ago. I was thinking, and maybe if I'm honest, hoping that I could replace my Kemper and Remote with a single unit and make my rig that much simpler.

I wanted to like it. I really did. The build quality is amazing - like a tank. The pedals with the scribble strips and color coding is awesome. The interface on the pedal is pretty good. The computer interface/editor is everything I wanted it to be. The problem came down to the amp models themselves. The Line 6 really just didn't hold up compared to the kemper. It wasn't bad at all. I have nothing bad to say about it. It's just that to my ears the KPA rigs just sound better.
If Kemper would make an editor that's as good as the Line6, to me, it would be almost perfect. I'd still love to simplify to a single unit...but I'll manage with the toaster + remote. I'd still love to see effects plugins, but that's not even close to a deal breaker.
So, it's not a detailed review, but I've spent two weeks with the Helix now. It's head and shoulders above Line6's previous offerings...and I wouldn't fault anyone for buying it. It has a lot of excellent features that I'd love to see from Kemper, including some excellent effects. That said, the amps tones have to be great for me to keep it.

Long story short, my loss your gain.

The Helix is up FOR SALE

www.jazzguitar.be/forum/sale/68480-line-6-helix

Thanks for reading!

Email: gamb23@yahoo.com

I was thinking, and maybe if I'm honest, hoping that I could replace my Kemper and Remote with a single unit and make my rig that much simpler.

I have been there and know exactly what you wanted to do. That fact is lots of the killer tones on the KPA (and Helix) are just to die for. The KPA has a much better tuner, been updated with goodies and fixes and with the 3rd party editor now available from talented programmers/users it is really a nice setup and good competition to keep L6 from getting complacent. Best of both worlds, in my opinion, is to have both boxes, but that tends to rub the penny polishers crazy when I've suggested that in the past. They suggest you don't need that and should be satisfied with what they consider enough. I say, there isn't a music dictatorship or mandatory standard to adhere to, and "each to their own" in searching for the holy grail of tonal bliss. ; )  Good luck in your endeavors to find it!

• Like 1

I’ve never used a Kemper, but they seem to have a good reputation for reproducing amp tones. Kemper and Helix are very different technologies. Kemper does an outside in simulation of an exiting amp, while Helix does an inside out implementation of an amp using digital components. Both of these approaches have pros and cons, and likely will produce different results even when modeling the same amp. That said, two amps of exactly the same model often sound different, so this could be part of it too. There are also differences in how the digital components are implemented, and limitations resulting from DSP architecture. S-Gear for example also uses digital models of electrical components to build amplifiers, and its amp models do sound very good compared to anything. 

But I think the decision on what rig is best for you needs to be based on more criteria then just subtle changes in amp tone that perhaps few people can hear, especially in a mix. If you’re a professional guitar player and are fortunate enough to have a signature tone, then Kemper is probably the best way to take that on the road. If you’re a weekend gigging musician and need a simple, reliable, flexible end-to-end solution, I think you’d be hard pressed to find something better than a good JTV and Helix.

2 hours ago, spikey said:

Best of both worlds, in my opinion, is to have both boxes

If I had the money, I'd have AX FX III, Kemper and Helix :-) You can never have too much quality tonecrafting kit, IMO.

(Edit:) Should also have said sorry that the OP didn't get on with Helix, and hope the sale is quick, painless and for a good price.

I'm totally with you on this one having been through the same loop (though the other way around). I bought the Helix when it first came out and just used it as a multi-effects box. Then I bought a couple of L2t powered speakers and started using the amp sims on it. It was pretty good...certainly good enough for a live gig, but side by side with my hand wired AC-15 and analogue effects it sounded kind of fake. Distortions have an unpleasant edge and clean tones are a bit clinical.

So I was really intrigued by the reviews of the KPA and took the plunge buying the remote at the same time. First amp I modelled was my AC-15 and it was mind-blowing how close it was so I became a Kemper convert. Problem is, used for recording, the KPA is unbeatable, but as soon as I do the side-by-side thing again...same problem.

The moral of this tale...for me anyway...is that I now use real tubes (valves) and analogue effects for live and the KPA for recordings. I sense an imminent ebay appointment for the Helix.