Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Used Helix and extended warranty questions- used helix and Helix plug in discount question

ckeibler85

I'm contemplating buying a used helix.  The original owner has the original receipt, but it was purchased about 15 months ago and he said he never registered it online.

Would I still be able to register it for the remaining 9 months of the 2 year extended warranty or is it too late to register this thing.  From what I've read it looks like this thing is screwed on getting a warranty- which is totally lame because it has proof of purchase inside the warranty period!  

If thats not kosher could I pay the $99 for the extra 3 year warranty line 6 is offering now?  

also- how does line 6 track the discount on the helix software discount?  someone mentioned in this forum that I need to ask the seller if they used the discount already?  what is there just one discount provided per physical unit?  it seems like they shouldnt be able to keep the software at the 75% discount if they sell off the thing that got them the huge discount in the first place.  What happens here?

Thanks so much for the help guys!

on a side note that is probably less important- I've read that the helix only supports 16bit IR's while fractal kemper and two notes support 24 bit IR's.  I know I'm out of my league here, but I can definitely tell the difference between a 16 bit digital delay and a 32 bit digital delay.  Or is that more of the sample rate that I'm hearing- i know two notes supports a whopping 96khz 24 bit IR- and it seems like theyre IR hardware is just amazing.  

I have loved me some helix sounds- I'm 80% towards helix for ease of use, cost and effects.  But man that axe ii and making your own IR's and the increased sample rate are pretty attractive.  

As far as the warranty stuff goes I'd give the Line 6 support line a call and get the info directly from them.  Every once in a while a knowledgeable Line 6 staff member or two might show up here, but generally this is a user supported forum and the questions you have are really something you should get directly from Line 6..

As far as technical differences between Axe and Helix, at this level they're all pretty marginal.  The major differences come in your skills of understanding how to best apply the features to get what you want.  Both will do an excellent job if you understand modeling and how to build an effective signal chain, and both will do a lousy job if you don't.  No piece of gear is going to turn you into a guitar god.  That's pretty much up to you and your understanding of building a signal chain and using the DSP resources effectively.

As far as making your own IRs that's great as long as you have access to all the different cabinets and microphones you would need to shoot the IR not to mention the acoustically treated room and technical skills in knowing how to best place the microphones for capture.  In the meantime there's a boatload of good free IR's as well as the built-in stock cabs in the Helix not to mention the professional IRs that cost next to nothing that were shot by trained professionals.  I guess my question would be why would I spend the money on a premium modeler only to short change myself using an amateur IR?  You're FAR better off understanding how to best select a cabinet, mic, mic placement or mic/cabinet mixes to get the sound you want for a specific amp setup and signal chain.  If you don't know that kind of stuff, an IR you shot for yourself won't matter much anyway.

As I said before the technical minutiae is irrelevant compared to the necessity of understanding the technical details of how to build and use the features effectively.

13 hours ago, ckeibler85 said:

I'm contemplating buying a used helix.  The original owner has the original receipt, but it was purchased about 15 months ago and he said he never registered it online.

Would I still be able to register it for the remaining 9 months of the 2 year extended warranty or is it too late to register this thing.  From what I've read it looks like this thing is screwed on getting a warranty- which is totally lame because it has proof of purchase inside the warranty period!  

If thats not kosher could I pay the $99 for the extra 3 year warranty line 6 is offering now?  

also- how does line 6 track the discount on the helix software discount?  someone mentioned in this forum that I need to ask the seller if they used the discount already?  what is there just one discount provided per physical unit?  it seems like they shouldnt be able to keep the software at the 75% discount if they sell off the thing that got them the huge discount in the first place.  What happens here?

Thanks so much for the help guys!

on a side note that is probably less important- I've read that the helix only supports 16bit IR's while fractal kemper and two notes support 24 bit IR's.  I know I'm out of my league here, but I can definitely tell the difference between a 16 bit digital delay and a 32 bit digital delay.  Or is that more of the sample rate that I'm hearing- i know two notes supports a whopping 96khz 24 bit IR- and it seems like theyre IR hardware is just amazing.  

I have loved me some helix sounds- I'm 80% towards helix for ease of use, cost and effects.  But man that axe ii and making your own IR's and the increased sample rate are pretty attractive.  

Never a bad idea to contact the manufacturer first for the final word on warranty and Native discount, but the remainder of the warranty should be transferable to you if the seller provided you with proof of original purchase and you are in compliance with the conditions listed on the Line6 warranty page.  As long as you are still in warranty I would think it would be no issue purchasing the extended warranty as well. You can see the warranty requirements at the Line6 Warranty webpage.

https://line6.com/warranty/

The registration discount for Native is tied to the serial number for the Helix so as long as it has not been used already for the discounted version already you should be able to purchase Native for $99; even if that Helix has been registered by someone else first and is now transferred over to you. Again, just so long as they did not already purchase Native using that serial number.

@ckeibler85, You should be good to go on the warranty issues; nonetheless, do first confirm with Line 6 tomorrow!

If you happen to frequent TheGearPage.net > Digital and Modeling Forums > Line6 Helix Thread, send  a copy of your questions to Frank Ritchotte via Private Message.  

I know its a long post.  But i talk about the situation snd how its different in the befinning of the post. My work schedule makes it almost impossible to get ahold of line 6 during their business hours. 

Can someone from line 6 answer?  I think its a pretty good question.  So from my understanding someone could buy a helix get get the $300 discount on native software and return it?

47 minutes ago, ckeibler85 said:

I know its a long post.  But i talk about the situation snd how its different in the befinning of the post. My work schedule makes it almost impossible to get ahold of line 6 during their business hours. 

Can someone from line 6 answer?  I think its a pretty good question.  So from my understanding someone could buy a helix get get the $300 discount on native software and return it?

If you don't contact Frank Ritchotte through TGP as MusicLaw mentions above you can just open up a support ticket and ask them your questions regarding warranty and Native if you don't have time to contact them during their business hours. You may well get a better result by contacting them directly however. One thing I will note is that they are generally really good about answering the phone quickly so it usually doesn't take a large window of time to contact them that way.

From prior threads:

"The way to think of it is that each Helix comes with a coupon for the Native discount, and that coupon can only be used once.
Here's a snip from the Helix Native Terms and Conditions: 
* Eligible Products must be purchased as new from an authorized Line 6 reseller (an “Authorized Reseller”). 
* Eligible Products must be owned by the Qualified Purchaser for a period of no less than one hundred eighty (180) days in order to qualify for the Promotional Savings.

Note the180-day minimum ownership requirement. This discourages short-term buy/sell of Helix devices simply to qualify for the discount. Line 6 tracks this and will/has revoked the discounted Helix Native license. For example, if the original owner of your Helix immediately obtained a Helix Native license and then sold/returned the Helix device in less than 180 days (not saying this is true) Line 6 will revoke the associated Helix Native license from the original owner if they discover the fact that the device was sold within the 180-day period. They would discover this when you register your new-to-you Helix device, specifying the already used serial number."