Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Capturing audio via USB from Helix using iphone video and camera connector

lavaspin

I'm trying to do something pretty simple: take video with ihpone, with the audio coming from Helix via the USB port, connected through an iphone camera connector adaptor.

I thought I had this working a couple weeks ago. But now, there's no audio coming through when I try to record video. I was wondering if maybe there's a hidden volume function or virtual port that got turned off in the iphone. I have the output on the Helix set for multi.

It might have got turned off on my iphone when I set up a line in for guitar and a separate line in for the aux. in. But both are set to multi, so I don't know why that would have caused a virtual port to shut off in iphone. Also, I do get audio to record in Garageband using USB. So, it has something to do with the ihpone video function.

Thanks for any suggestions! I made a good faith effort to look for this on the site before starting this topic. Didn't see this particular issue. If I missed it, I apologize. I think it's actually an iphone issue but somebody might have figured it out here on the Helix forum.

Maybe the link below might help. Looks like you have to start the iPhone camera app first and select video, and only then plug in your camera kit USB. Hmm, sounds klunky. Apparently there are some paid apps like FiLMic Pro  that give you more control over audio options but I have not tried it so I have no idea if that would help.

https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/229346/how-do-i-record-video-on-ios-with-external-audio-interface

5 hours ago, l_sap120394 said:

@lavaspin Man, can you show me what kind of adapter is it? I would apreciate it! 

Tks!

Typically it would be something like the device in the link below that uses the Lightning port on an iPhone or iPad to provide a USB port from the adaptor. The name "camera" kit/adaptor is a bit of a misnomer as the adaptor has multiple possible uses. 

https://www.amazon.com/Apple-MK0W2AM-Lightning-Camera-Adapter/dp/B01F7KJDIM/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1528911365&sr=8-3&keywords=apple+camera+connection+kit

18 minutes ago, HonestOpinion said:

Typically it would be something like the device in the link below that uses the Lightning port on an iPhone or iPad to provide a USB port from the adaptor. The name "camera" kit/adaptor is a bit of a misnomer as the adaptor has multiple possible uses. 

https://www.amazon.com/Apple-MK0W2AM-Lightning-Camera-Adapter/dp/B01F7KJDIM/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1528911365&sr=8-3&keywords=apple+camera+connection+kit

Thanks man!
I am just wondering if I will have problem using for example, a Behringer Uphoria UM2  as the sound card....
I mean, if I'll have problems with driver or anything related to compatibility.  

58 minutes ago, l_sap120394 said:

Thanks man!
I am just wondering if I will have problem using for example, a Behringer Uphoria UM2  as the sound card....
I mean, if I'll have problems with driver or anything related to compatibility.  

I wouldn't be surprised if there was a way to make it work but the UM2 does not seem to be one of the easiest cards to use with the iPhone/iPad. People have definitely gotten it working with their Macs and the link below claims to have gotten it working with Cubasis LE on an iPad. Maybe someone else on the forum has implemented it successfully and can shed more light on the subject.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/03/10/the-best-usb-audio-interface/