Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Problems with PC USB sound to POD HD500X

poolster

I have a POD HD500X already for some years and very happy with it. Recently I have bought a new laptop PC and since then I have problems with streaming audio from the laptop USB into the POD. The sound is breaking up every few seconds for just a fraction of a second, it seems small pieces of audio are dropped and there are glitching sounds when that happens. It's a state of the art MSI laptop with Windows 10. I already updated and reinstalled the Line6 drivers and other software but that does not solve it.

This problem bothers me endlessly because I use to play along with guitar backing tracks and this is now one big irritation, so any help is greatly appreciated! 

On 6/12/2018 at 9:07 PM, poolster said:

I have a POD HD500X already for some years and very happy with it. Recently I have bought a new laptop PC and since then I have problems with streaming audio from the laptop USB into the POD. The sound is breaking up every few seconds for just a fraction of a second, it seems small pieces of audio are dropped and there are glitching sounds when that happens. It's a state of the art MSI laptop with Windows 10. I already updated and reinstalled the Line6 drivers and other software but that does not solve it.

This problem bothers me endlessly because I use to play along with guitar backing tracks and this is now one big irritation, so any help is greatly appreciated! 

This could also be due to Laptop getting "Overloaded", were you running any heavy applications? . Try restarting the laptop and play the audio directly from windows media player (dont open any other applications while doing this). Also worth checking the processor loading through task manager.

@Strat2Die4 I don't think that is the problem. It occurs also if I just open the media player or just a browser with Youtube. And it's a gaming laptop with horrendous processing power ;-)

It happens when playing audio from any application. After a clean reboot, the problem is not there, but then after a few minutes it starts with -say- one glitch per minute, and then gradually it gets worse and worse until they come every few seconds and it becomes unworkable. It seems like some internal buffer is overflowing or something.

The problem does not occur if I stream audio to the headphones output or the internal speakers: only if I stream via USB to the POD HD500X.

I already upgraded/reinstalled the Line6 drivers and I also updates the laptop USB drivers as @TheRealZap  suggested, but no success. My previous laptop was also an MSI, and never had any problems in the interface with the POD....

some times applications can cause some issues when utilizing the drivers switching between sample rates.....not saying this is your issue but putting it out there......

If your default setting on the 500X is 48kHz, some apps can stream through the driver at that sample rate but others default to 44.1. The constant switching by the driver between the sample rates causes the word clock to drift in the OS especially if two apps are using the sound card at the same time. I have seen this in the past on Windows (Im on Mac now so its been awhile) and I don't know if this is stilllllll a problem. But this was a problem in the past.

Is there one application you can trace the 'first glitch' back to consistently?

Also, have you disabled all default Windows sounds?

Sorry for what might be bad advice / thoughts. My information is dated for sure on Windows devices. It just sounded like you were having a frustrating time so I thought I'd put everything on the table for you.

6 hours ago, poolster said:

@Strat2Die4 I don't think that is the problem. It occurs also if I just open the media player or just a browser with Youtube. And it's a gaming laptop with horrendous processing power ;-)

It happens when playing audio from any application. After a clean reboot, the problem is not there, but then after a few minutes it starts with -say- one glitch per minute, and then gradually it gets worse and worse until they come every few seconds and it becomes unworkable. It seems like some internal buffer is overflowing or something.

The problem does not occur if I stream audio to the headphones output or the internal speakers: only if I stream via USB to the POD HD500X.

I already upgraded/reinstalled the Line6 drivers and I also updates the laptop USB drivers as @TheRealZap  suggested, but no success. My previous laptop was also an MSI, and never had any problems in the interface with the POD....

That's interesting, so everything was fine was with your earlier computer and all this happens only on the new laptop. Is your earlier laptop still around to check if things still work with that, just to rule out any issues with the POD.

Maybe try a different USB port on the laptop?...I have an older Sony laptop with Win 10 and it will bluescreen with the HD when it is plugged into the USB 3.0 port...It only had one...The others are 2.0...never any issue on those...And this only started happening with 2010...never was in issue on Windows 8...But I don't think that port was doing USB 3.0 then...It definitely is now since the bios updates for Win 10...