Sign in to follow this  
taylorbeats

Guitar to Amp to Load Box to Helix?

I recently picked up a really loud amplifier, love the sound, distortion, sustain----but I am wondering if anyone has run the helix this way:

Guitar into helix which has Boost, fuzz, modulation.

Out of helix to loud creamy amplifier.

Amplifier speaker out to load box has a line out.

Load box line out to Helix and insert the line out before the usual Helix time based effects.

Included in the time based effects (somewhere, depends on how it sounds I suppose) a cab or IR.

Also the amp has no effects loop.

Why not? If you like this kind of distortion and cannot get it with the Helix itself, it should work. The price you will pay is in tubes wich are running full power. Therefore, you safe the heating induring :D

Did you try tweaking the modelled poweramps to get a similar result without double-amping? (BIAS, X-BIAS.......)

There is a Pete Thorn video out there somewhere where he uses a Suhr head to load box to Helix in one of the loops I believe. 

That should work. I use a Suhr Reactive Load to feed a Helix return - not exactly like your looking at doing, but it works as expected.

This is a cool idea.. 

I have messed with Helix and 4CM but had ground loop issues. Have not tried attenuator with a load box back to Helix! Gotta try that..

It works, but will take some tuning before it makes it out into the wild

First iteration will be the guitar to helix-wah-couple drive pedals-trem-univibe-to real amp via send.

Amp will be miked--mike back into helix--time based effects--helix out to FOH.