Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix to run bluetooth Headphones

stuwend

Just wondering why there is a delay/lag when I use my beats bluetooth wireless headphones paired to a bluetooth transmitter, from helix with variax, so this is how it's connected.

1- Straight Out of the helix phone jack into bluetooth transmitter which is paired to my beats headphones solo3- I hear a delay/lag when playing. Variax into vdi input

2- Straight Out of the headphones jack of my mixer which my helix and music/backings are plugged into then from headphones jack into bluetooth transmitter to paired headphones and making sure it's not the bluetooth, my backings is in time the I play a long with my guitar/variax through helix there is a delay or lag. So if anyone can help me out would be great, like I said its just the helix that has the delay as I use wired headphones for live gigs as my monitors and that works for me great and trying to get wireless ones set up and have had lag issues with the helix.

Has anyone else had this.

Thanks team

It's obvious to me the problem lies in the bluetooth transmitter since it responds the same way on the Helix phone jack and your mixer phone jack, and if the Helix doesn't lag on a wired connection it has nothing to do with the Helix...the Helix did it's job.  Bluetooth isn't the most efficient method of wireless operations due to the overhead involved.  Traditional wireless stage gear doesn't have the same problem generally because the connections is solely based on establishing a connection via a specific frequency rather than the rather bulky protocol of pairing.

Thanks for that, so what would be the best option for wireless headphone for monitoring.

Why is there lag in bluetooth transmitter with only the helix is there or do I need a specific transmitter when its all coming from the same output as I thought that would work as an option as you would be listening to a mix like on a CD.

Just trying to understand the technical theory in why bluetooth won't work so I can move forward, in trying something else as this wasn't known in my research as I've purchased a couple of bluetooth transmitters, my understanding is that this would of worked, anyhow any advice to getting me there would be great and thanks again its hard getting advice sometime where I am lol.

Thanks Team!! 

There's just latency inherent in Bluetooth. At worst it can be over 100ms, and at best it's around 40ms. You might not notice 40ms latency when watching a movie, but you would definitely hear while playing guitar. You don't notice latency when you're listening to a CD or MP3 because you're just hearing the stream of audio from the player. You're not comparing it to anything else. The lag is there, but you aren't hearing it.

2 hours ago, stuwend said:

Thanks for that, so what would be the best option for wireless headphone for monitoring.

Why is there lag in bluetooth transmitter with only the helix is there or do I need a specific transmitter when its all coming from the same output as I thought that would work as an option as you would be listening to a mix like on a CD.

Just trying to understand the technical theory in why bluetooth won't work so I can move forward, in trying something else as this wasn't known in my research as I've purchased a couple of bluetooth transmitters, my understanding is that this would of worked, anyhow any advice to getting me there would be great and thanks again its hard getting advice sometime where I am lol.

Thanks Team!! 

It's a losing battle, and it's got nothing to do with Helix. All Bluetooth devices have some degree of latency, and whatever any one particular transmitter's latency is, it is... and it's there no matter what you're connecting it to... you just won't notice it until you're trying to do something time- sensitive, like playing an instrument and expecting to hear what you play in real time. Some devices can have up to 500ms of latency....which is nothing that you'd care about (if you even noticed) if all you're doing is passively listening to music, or even for making a phone call. But for monitoring an instrument, anything that introduces much more than 10-20ms is gonna cause problems. 100ms would be totally unusable, and anything longer than that is an eternity.... as useless as playing a note and hearing it tomorrow. 

You may try transmitters AND headphones that both use the  aptX Low Latency Codec . They say, the latency is below 40ms  https://www.aptx.com/aptx-low-latency   There is also a database with all products that use aptX Low Latency.  But I doubt, that it is reliable enough for using live - let alone the bluetooth connection which should not be interrupted by anything in it's way. That's maybe why you don't see any professional with bluetooth inear (which are available already) until now.  Wait a year or two: I'd bet it's going that way.

To my knowledge REAL wireless in ear monitor system don't exist at this time. Regardless the price, they all still have a wire from the earphones to the body pack. Real wireless bluetooth does exist already: just the earphone which connects to a bluetooth source (Sony, Apple, B&O...) .  But none with aptX Low Latency ...

On 16 June 2018 at 4:43 AM, stuwend said:

Just wondering why there is a delay/lag when I use my beats bluetooth wireless headphones paired to a bluetooth transmitter, from helix with variax, so this is how it's connected.

As already said, it's just bluetooth latency.  You may like to take a look at these headphones, they're pretty good, latency of around 17ms which is livable-with for me. 

https://steelseries.com/gaming-headsets/siberia-840

Bear in mind that if you are also planning to use some sort of wireless guitar link, the combined latency of both together will stack. 

-