Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix as a MIDI controler : Controlling Torpedo C.A.B.

Pittbubulle

Hi all,

I own a Line6 Helix LT for a few moment and a friend of mine just gave me a Two Notes Torpedo C.A.B. that I plugged in the FX Loop 1 of the Helix.

Torpedo CAB is able to receive MIDI instructions (CC AND PC). PC and CC capabilities of the Torpedo are both "on" and it is able to listen to every MIDI Channels.

My Helix Global Settings are :

- Page 1-

Midi Base Channel : 1

Midi Thru : on

Receive Midi Clock : Auto

Send Midi Clock : Midi+USB

- Page 2 -

Midi Over USB : On

Midi PC receive : Midi+USB

Midi PC Send : Off

Duplicate PC Send : Off

When activating some of my Presets, I have included Instant Messages (Command Center -> Instant 1 (for example) -> Bank/Program.... Program #) to auto-select a corresponding patch on my Torpedo CAB. It works fine!

However, in the Torpedo manual it is indicated that some functionnalities can be activated with CC Messages such as Bypass (Midi CC# : 27, value : 0 -> bypass ; 1 -> Active).

In the Command Center of any Preset, I have then written an Instant Message of that kind :

Command : Midi CC

Midi Ch : Base (I tried with any channel number)

CC# : 27

Value : 0

but nothing's happened.

On the Torpedo, I can monitor MIDI messages and it is received... But NOTHING happens.

Does anybody have an idea?

If I understand what you're trying to do:

In some Helix presets, you want to use the Torpedo CAB (Helix cabs off). An Instant Command in those Helix presets sends a PC# to the Torpedo CAB. This works fine, Torpedo loads specified CAB preset.

In some Helix presets, you want to use the Helix cabs. In these Helix presets an Instant Command sends a CC#27 with Value 0 (OFF) to BYPASS whatever Torpedo CAB is loaded (in SETTINGS on the Torpedo, is CC Receive set to ON?).

This is NOT working. You know that because.......

Hi rd2rk,

Thanks for answering.

You have understood it perfectly.

How I know that Torpedo is not bypassed? Because sound doesn't change at all, and "bypass" is not written on Torpedo's screen.

CC Receive is set to "on" and parametered to listen to "all channel".

As I Can monitor midi reception  on Torpedo, I know that a midi message is sent by Helix when selecting a preset, and I know that Torpedo receive it. But apprently, in Helix, either there is a conflit, or the nature of the message sent is wrong.

When you send a BYPASS Instant Command, are you also sending anything else?

Are you using a PC or MAC? If PC, download MIDIOX. It's a midi monitor (there's a similar program for MAC, I forget what it's called). Is the Helix sending anything other than the CC that you expect it to send?

Something else to try, for test purposes. Instead of using an Instant Command, set a FS to send a Toggling CC#27 with values of 127/000. Does that work? What results did you see in MIDIOX?

Uh! Uh!!!! I just checked!

It appears that, despite I have not set any instant message in a preset, a CC# (Channel : 1; Data : Controller 61 ; Value : 0) is sent! What does it mean?

But, when setting up a preset with a CC# Instant Message will make Helix automatically sending THAT CC# (27 ; 0... for example) when activated without sending the "Controller 61" CC.

Setting up a FS with CC# is ok. When monitoring, it seems to work fine.... But haven't tested wit Torpedo yet.

CC#61 is the Helix Looper STOP command. Nobody knows WHY it's sent (I've asked), and there's no way to prevent it. Usually, unless the receiving device/app is configured to use that CC, it has no effect, but maybe the Torpedo has a problem with that. No, just checked the manual, nothing configured to use that CC by default.

Supposedly, the upcoming 2.6 update has many midi fixes. Maybe this will be one of them. Anyhow, that shouldn't cause a problem, Torpedo should just ignore it.

F*****!!!! You just enlighted me....

when you talked about the very case where the receiving device would eventually configured to use CC#61.... I was checking this but, instead of reading the version of th manual I used to read, i have opened the current version on the manufacturer's site.... And guess what... the latest version of the Torpedo program has not the same allocation of CC# than earlier version (the one described in my manual)....

CC#27 is "Reverb on/off"...

to bypass Torpedo, the current CC# is 37.... However, it is not written....

Thanx a lot.... I wouldn't have succeeded in resolving that case without your help!