Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Amp recommendation

tk78

Hi,

I'm new to the Helix. Got an Axe FXII for home recording, and just added the Helix for live gigs. I'm looking for a suitable amp model for Dream On, which I can dial in very clean for the intro and verses, but also crunchy for the chorus. All in one Preset, working with Snapshots. Tried the Marshall JCM-800 (Brit 2204), but this does not clean up enough (like the crunchy sound though). Many other amps got separate channels for clean, crunch and lead, which does not work well for Snap Shots, due to the CPU limitations in one Preset. Anybody any recommendation, which amp might do well over the whole spectrum, if dialed in nicely? (with OD or Distortion, but like some amp character with that...)

Which amp do you use for dialing in a nice clean, crunchy and lead tone? 

Cheers,

Thomas

I like the Lonestar for clean, crunch, and lead in one amp. Read through forums to find usage tips. Below is a mish-mash of some notes I've saved from various sources, including these forums, which helped me get a handle on this versatile and complex amp:

DRIVE = DRIVE 1; GAIN = DRIVE 2

Channel 2 has a split personality and can either be set to achieve a slightly gainier clone of Channel 1 or, with the flick of a switch become a high gain preamp. Switching in the "DRIVE 1" control adds 2 more triode stages and an additional gain control to meter in the exact blend of smooth singing saturation. The bipolar nature of Channel 2 allows the LONE STAR to roam effortlessly through both vintage and modern territory with full channel switching accuracy and an emphasis on soul and simplicity.You can set up the amp for two low gain channels, one for sparkling clean and the other driven into an old school clip or, one for low gain clean and the other for high gain singing sustain.

This is the pre-drive control for the high gain preamp in Channel 2. It may be switched out of the circuit, along with its associated tube stages, to create a slightly higher gain clone of Channel 1 in (this bottom) Channel 2. When the "DRIVE 1" control is activated (switch left, towards "DRIVE 1"), this control operates in conjunction with the "DRIVE 2" control to meter the amount of preamp drive that will be introduced into the circuit. Generally speaking, you will find better response and dynamics combined with smoother saturation by setting the "DRIVE 2" control higher than "DRIVE 1". In fact you might try leaving the "DRIVE 2" set to 2:00 or 3:00 and just playing with the "DRIVE 1" to learn the regions of saturation.You will probably find the more blues oriented sounds between 9:00 and 11:00, while the really saturated high gain sounds appear between 1:00 and 3:00.

----

Start with Drive2 at 7-8, then play with Drive1 between 1-8
Better response & smoother saturation with Drive2 slightly higher than Drive1.
Try Drive2 near middle settings or lower.
As you increase Drive2, reduce Bass.
Treble is most important of tone settings and effects the others. Start at 4-6.5.
Use Presence in lower settings for lead sounds.
Use TS Shape on Normal to pass through tone settings. Thick smears highs and mids; Thicker more so, more sustain.
Use TS Normal for rhythm and cleaner leads, thick and thicker for more balls.
Use Master between 2-7.

[ie, turn Drive 1 down pretty low, and Drive 2 higher than its setting]
Drive 2 near middle settings or a bit lower.
Try leaving Drive 2 at 7-8 and playing with Drive 1.
TREBLE most importantly of tone dials, set at 4-6.5
As you increase the "DRIVE 2" reduce the BASS.
TS Shape on Normal
Some of the best lead sounds in your LONE STAR will find the PRESENCE control in it's lower regions, where a balanced, vocal response is achieved.
we suggest using the MASTER control in its sensible ranges ( 2-7 ). 

The drive and gain knobs are named Drive 1 and Drive 2 respectively and will have the added gain stage always on. We had thought about adding the behavior of setting the channel to clean, but when Ch2 is set to clean and in normal mode, it is essentially the same as Ch1. I tried to incorporate the switch into the knob as you described, but found that people would just miss or forget about the feature since it wouldn't be shown on the knob. I tried to add a switch on the model just like on the amp, but then found that people could get confused adjusting a knob that essentially did nothing, which we definitely wanted to avoid.

I know it's a lot of explanation for a single switch that did not make it into the model that the real amp has, but I wanted people to know that we really think about doing the amps as much justice as possible, but we also want to keep every part of every model as "Helix-esqe" in every element of the experience.

One of the amps that was specifically designed for this type of thing is the HiWatt (WhoWatt 100).  I use it quite a bit with the amp providing the clean tone and the crunchy tone coming from something like a Teemah with a Deluxe Comp using a Screamer for the lead boost.  This was the idea behind the design of the amp was to be able to work well with pedals, although on it's own just using gain and master you can get it pretty crunchy.  An extraordinarily versatile amp which was why it was so popular for so long.

Hi, Thanks a lot for all your feedback. I went with the Lonestar, and I'm really happy with the sound.

Dialed in as following:

Drive 1: 1.3

Drive 2: 7

Master: 2.5 

Cranked up channel volume to 7, and added +6dB on the cabs. Reduced bass and added some chorus, delay and reverb. Sounds exactly as I hope for, thanks a lot.

Cheers,

Thomas

On 6/17/2018 at 12:27 PM, tk78 said:

... Many other amps got separate channels for clean, crunch and lead, which does not work well for Snap Shots, due to the CPU limitations in one Preset. Anybody any recommendation, which amp might do well over the whole spectrum, if dialed in nicely? (with OD or Distortion, but like some amp character with that...)

Which amp do you use for dialing in a nice clean, crunchy and lead tone? 

Cheers,

Thomas

I frequently find I am able to put two or three different amp blocks in a single preset going through one cab or IR. The trick is to split the amps across the two routes connected in series. This leaves me effectively with a two or three channel amp and still DSP left over for a decent selection of effects. The multiple amp blocks work great with snapshots.

Thanks. In the meantime I got totally addicted to Jason Sadites Youtube channel, working through his dial in videos. Helped me a lot, apart from the Lonestar recommendations, the Litigator and Soldano videos were really helpful. Still working on some others... :-)

Cheers,

Thomas

It's also very helpful to list what guitar you're using and if you're using single coil or humbucking pickups.  The pickups make a HUGE difference on amp settings (mainly gain) and amp choice.