Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Factory Reset Pod XT Live

• 2 months later...

I have to say this out loud (and I'm pretty sure I'm not the first), but this whole "No you can't  reset your Pod XT Live without computer" is probably the most stupid thing a manufacturer can do... 

Also the fact that the gear itself is great but the L6 softwares which for whatever reason come in multiple different ones when you could add every single thing to one, GOOD software, is a brain fart probably equivalent to President Trump's worst decisions....

I'm trying to make my Win7 computer to talk with my Pod XT LIve, but noooooo, the newest drivers which I have run several times don't seem to make that Line6 Monkey happy, so I could update the USB firmware (as Monkey won't find my REGISTERED gear), so I could make the flash memory update.

UTTER BOLLOCKS!

• Like 1

Try the following: 

1. Turn off the POD
2. Turn on the POD while holding down the Save and Edit buttons simultaneously
3. The POD's LCD screen should display Init Edit Buffer
4. Push the Output mode button
5. Turn the Select / Select Page knob one click to the right
6. Turn the Effect Tweak / Change Value knob to the left or right adjusting the contrast.

Another options is: 

Q: How do I reflash in "safe mode"?

A: Safe mode can be used when a unit cannot be reflashed using the normal reflash procedure. Hold the first of the four black soft buttons under the main LCD screen as you power on the PODxt. Then re-install the flash memory usinf Line6 Monkey.

Make sure you're using a USB 2.0 port. It won't work with a USB 1.1 port. 

Dave

www.daveshomestudio.com

• Like 1

11 hours ago, daveny5 said:

Try the following: 

1. Turn off the POD
2. Turn on the POD while holding down the Save and Edit buttons simultaneously
3. The POD's LCD screen should display Init Edit Buffer
4. Push the Output mode button
5. Turn the Select / Select Page knob one click to the right
6. Turn the Effect Tweak / Change Value knob to the left or right adjusting the contrast.

Another options is: 

Q: How do I reflash in "safe mode"?

A: Safe mode can be used when a unit cannot be reflashed using the normal reflash procedure. Hold the first of the four black soft buttons under the main LCD screen as you power on the PODxt. Then re-install the flash memory usinf Line6 Monkey.

Make sure you're using a USB 2.0 port. It won't work with a USB 1.1 port. 

Dave

www.daveshomestudio.com

That first advise didn't do anything (but gave me option to adjust the contrast) and that safe mode thingie is even more useless. I am stuck.

Are you getting any kind of error message when you try to connect your PodXT? 

Did you login to Line6 Monkey before trying to install the drivers? You can actually install the drivers from the website. You don't need to go through Monkey. 

Is the PodXT listed in the Windows Device Manager? If so, right-click that and select Update Driver. If it's not listed, is there an error message? 

Did you write Line6 support? This forum is USER supported. You could contact a technician with your problem. https://line6.com/support/tickets/

No error messages. 

I've logged in to L6 Monkey and I've tried to install the drivers through website and through Monkey. The driver-info on Monkey won't show it's updated them. 

The XT Live isn't found by Win Device Manager, so that is a big concern.

I think the main problem is that I've only tried with normal USB cable instead of USB-Midi cable to get the XTL online and updated. So before I contact the support I'm gonna try that.

I know this forum is user supported but I was just so friggin' frustrated to the whole situation and to crawl through these different guidelines to solve the problem so it kind of boiled over. :P

I'll keep you posted with the progress. THANK GOD IT'S FRIDAY!

6 minutes ago, Triryche said:

Without connecting to a pc, check what FW the POD has. You would only need a USB-MIDI cable if it is FW 1.x 

Well, the FW is something 1.X. So there's the problem I think. It's just weird it has worked properly with reg. USB cable about 10 years ago.  :P :P :P

But yeah, I've cooled down now, so THANK YOU guys! I'll see if I can get that bastard working again properly. Maybe (IF I can update it) the Junkie XL Pack will come back into it and the other missing stuff. 

• 2 weeks later...

My problem is my pod XT LIve screen says "Invalid code error 04", i have tried all the reset options mentioned and it will not respond, i have tried safe mode and it will not respond, it also will no longer connect to my pc and when i tried monkey it would not connect. Please advise. I had a gig yesterday and was relegated to using a lot of pedals which i had gotten away from.

I have read as much as i can but until it connects or resets it is useless. Help im not rich cant buy another this has to be fixed.

Ok, I've managed to re-flash my XTL. Unfortunately the FX Junkie Pack is still missing and what I've read from this forum, I'm not getting it back at all.

For some reason I can not update the USB Firmware. I've tried updating from L6 Monkey and by downloading straight from l6.com. 

I still have to use the USB-MIDI cable in order to have a connection between my laptop and XTL. 

So, I'm kind of half way through with my problems. Gonna keep trying.

Don't use a USB to MIDI cable. I believe you need a standard USB cable (USB A to USB B) to flash the memory and update the firmware. You probably have one from some other device you have, but if not, here's a link to one. A MIDI cable only carries MIDI data. The USB cable carries computer and MIDI data. I think that will resolve your problem.

This is the cable you need: 

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-USB-2-0-Cable-Male/dp/B00BCWALHM/ref=asc_df_B00BCWALHM/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167126093426&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=12211662058692348175&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9010123&hvtargid=pla-83922868406&psc=1

On 9/3/2018 at 9:19 AM, lyndonicus said:

My problem is my pod XT LIve screen says "Invalid code error 04", i have tried all the reset options mentioned and it will not respond, i have tried safe mode and it will not respond, it also will no longer connect to my pc and when i tried monkey it would not connect. Please advise. I had a gig yesterday and was relegated to using a lot of pedals which i had gotten away from.

I have read as much as i can but until it connects or resets it is useless. Help im not rich cant buy another this has to be fixed.

Did you try all the reset methods I listed?

How are you connecting to your XT Live? MIDI cables or USB cable?

5 minutes ago, Triryche said:

Just for clarification, how are you confirming that it is missing?

During power up the screen shows "Standard Model Set" and I can't find any of the FX Junkie Pack effects i.e. synths, double bass etc.

I've yet to succeed at installing the USB firmware. I have tried downloading through Line6 Monkey and also straight from the downloads section at line6.com. I managed to re-flash my unit with the midi-usb cable. I have no idea why L6 Monkey won't recognise my unit when I hook it up with plain USB cable. I've tried 4 different cables in every USB port on my laptop. 

I can use L6 Edit with that midi-usb cable but all-in-all this task in recovering the unit back to square one is nowhere near done. :)

So Monkey recognizes FW 3.01 with the MIDI to USB cable? If so, try running the License Manager to authorize your PODxt Live.

Also, if you haven’t already, you could try  different USB cables and/or pc. If you still can't get the USB to work with different cables or pc's, it may be the USB post is shot. 

22 minutes ago, Triryche said:

So Monkey recognizes FW 3.01 with the MIDI to USB cable? If so, try running the License Manager to authorize your PODxt Live.

License Manager won't find XTL. I've got only my laptop authorized and de-authorizing it doesn't seem to help either.

22 minutes ago, Triryche said:

Also, if you haven’t already, you could try  different USB cables and/or pc. If you still can't get the USB to work with different cables or pc's, it may be the USB post is shot. 

I'm sure there's something weird going on with my XTL, as on the LCD screen you can see v3.01 but USB version is 0.00 end ESN is 00000000.

I think I just have to admit my defeat and go with what I got available in that atm.

You may have done all of this, but here's my suggestions anyway: 

Are you using the PX-2 power supply that came with the unit? I don't know what the electrical power is in Finland, but mine says 120v / 60Hz. Most European countries use 220v / 50 Hz. Should I assume you had this unit working at one time? 

Go to Windows Device Manager and see if the Line 6 PODxt Live is listed under Sound, Video and Games. That will tell you if you have the driver installed. If so, right-click it and select Update Driver and have it search for the latest driver. 

If you don't see it, unplug the PODxtLive's USB cable. Download the right driver from Line 6  and run it, but don't plug in the USB cable until it tells you to. If that works, then run Monkey and try to flash the firmware. 

Good luck,

Dave

• 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...

Good evening everyone.

It seems that I am a little late to the party but, judging by some of the comments on here, my frustration is shared by a number of you.

After about 8 years of happily using my XTP, (firstly on line and then off line with Windows XP) I had no option but to upgrade to Windows 10...and what a **** show that has been!

I have tried all the things that you all suggest, and a few others, but the bottom line is that:

- The USB won't connect

- I can only see the device via MIDI, so I can't update the firmware or actually control the XTP through the computer.

- I can't get 4.2.7.7 to load the drivers, even though the wizard says that it has

I managed to flash the memory, but that got me exactly nowhere.

I have run the programmes as Admin and added Line 6 to applications allowed through the firewall.

I have tested the USB cable in another device

I have used THREE different laptops to remove that from the equation.

The idea that you cannot get back to factory settings and start again without a computer connected seems utterly ridiculous to me.  I'd happily buy a flash USB B with drivers on it, if one was available, to get me going again.  

I'm seriously thinking of reverting to a Win XP laptop - or going back to Boss!

Short of it being a duff USB port on the XTP, which I haven't a clue how to test, I'm out of ideas.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Dave

Have you tried running the Line6 License Manager? Make sure your equipment is registered and authorized. 

Make sure you are connecting the PODXTLive to a USB port on the computer and not on a USB hub. Make sure you're using a USB 2.0 port. It won't work with a USB 1.1 port or USB 1.1 cable. 

You should see the Line 6 PODxt Live listed in the Windows Device Manager. (Right click start button and select Device Manager) 

Daveny5

Thanks for the reply

The POD is registered - I can see its registration on my profile, although, oddly at one stage I did get an unregistered device notice, which seemed odd.

I have run the licence manager.  No progress.

The driver 4.2.7.7 downloads but will not install and it gives me a link to run them from the website.

Using USB  2.0 on both cable and connector.  No hubs involved.

It's listed under MIDI but not connected to USB, and I can see it connected in the Monkey, connected as MIDI

I have sent the whole saga to support, with screen shots.

Even if I have a duff USB port, I cant see how that would stop me running the drivers.  I should be able to do that without the XTP plugged in, shouldn't I?

And...the application says they are downloaded but then won't run them

I've attached the whole e-mail exchange.

I've run out of ideas!

Regards

RE L6TID 400185 Line 6 Support Ticket Updated.htm

• 1 month later...

Boa noite galera !!! Eu tenho um BASS POD XT, Porém, a placa da pedaleira está dando "INVALID CODE ERROR 01" Já baixei os drivers mas tá dando erro no "FLASH MEMORY" ALGUÉM Q TENHA O MESMO PEDAL EQ POSSA ME DAR UMA SOLUÇÃO? OU ME ENSINE A DAR O HARD RESET NELA PRA VOLTAR NA CONFIGURAÇÃO DE FABRICA

• 3 months later...

I had a problem with my xt live.....it lost the flash version or something....I'm using windows 7....the pod xt live display had a small listing of numbers...I remember 127 being in the list....but I had to use a midi to USB cable and manually tell monkey that it was the xt live....it ran the memory flash update and I got the xt live back....the drivers won't install with the midi USB cable ..only the memory flash will.....after the memory flash I shut it off and switched back to the standard USB cable and reran the drivers....I didn't have to run a firmware update I don't think...but it's working

• 5 months later...

I found this thread yesterday.   I just bought a used POD XT Live and I would like to reset it to factory settings.

I found this whole thread really confusing.

Can someone please sum up how to go about doing a factory reset?

Is connecting to the board to computer necessary to do a factory reset?

As I've said before, there really is no factory reset. You have to flash the memory using Line6 Monkey.

I just found this though in the Line6 Edit startup help... I'm paraphrasing: 

Windows Users, MIDI failures can be caused by a problem with your Java software. Go to Start - Settings - Apps and go to Java and uninstall it. Then run the Line 6 Edit installer again while you are connected to the internet and it will download and install the appropriate Java software for you.

I suggest doing this with some caution because much of the Line6 software for the XTLive is old and may not function properly. Make note of the Java version you have installed in case you have to reinstall it manually. I have Java 8 Update 201 on my Windows10 computer.

1 hour ago, loren5324 said:

I found this thread yesterday.   I just bought a used POD XT Live and I would like to reset it to factory settings.

I found this whole thread really confusing.

Can someone please sum up how to go about doing a factory reset?

Is connecting to the board to computer necessary to do a factory reset?

And - if, like mine, it has decided that it no longer recognises the USB connection then, I'm afraid, you're screwed!

It's a massive bugbear of mine that there isn't a way to flash it without the USB connection.

No help I'm afraid but it might stop you wasting days on it like I did.

Good luck, sincerely.

Dave

• 5 months later...

Screwed ?! Seriously ?

My XT Live was functioning and communicating perfectly until Gearbox demanded a firmware update using Line 6 Monkey.  Had

to download the file and run the flash, because it refuses to connect to the internet server at Line 6, despite License Manger already being connected.

Now Monkey doesn't know wtf a XT Live is.  Much less the same one which is still connected with the same port and wire.  Brand new XT Live, literally, found in a stack of old studio gear that'd been forgotten and 'screwed' ?

• 1 year later...

Hello,

I'm about to purchase a secondhand XTL for about $27 (Php 1,500) but it has an "Invalid code error 4". I'm having second thoughts if I'm gonna buy it because I'm not sure if it's still fixable or not. It will be a bang-for-the-buck if it is but if not that would be a bummer because $27 is a lot here in the ph. The seller said that he got it from a trade few months ago and he was able to use it until the error occurred so he's selling it as a defective unit. Base on the picture, the Line 6 monkey on his PC can still detect the unit but it seems that he doesn't have an internet connection. The question is, has someone fixed the same issue before? I've read the thread already but it seems that no one has fixed the same issue or there's no answer to it yet. You may see the pictures for your reference.

Best Regards,

398833764_7551797114837431_8018305324666183171_n.jpg

398880078_7551796551504154_7155634565997957154_n.jpg

398755614_7551797298170746_7035182606534861646_n.jpg