Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Powercab 112 Plus Signal Dropouts Over L6 Link w/ Helix

Mastamitch

Just got Powercab 112 Plus on Friday. I'm having an issue with the L6 Link connection and wondering if anyone else has the same issue. I bought a 25 ft Hosa AES/EBU cable to use for the L6 Link connection and wasn't able to get any sound to come through at all (no pops or anything). I then tested a different standard XLR cable and was able to get minimal signal to come through, but mostly a popping sound even when Helix is turned all the way down. I tested it again with a short 5 ft XLR cable and everything seemed to work...until the signal would pop and dropout for about 1-2 seconds every 5-10 minutes. Basically, I can get it to work with 1-2 second dropouts every 5-10 minutes, but it seems like only the shorter XLR cables work, and longer XLR cables produce mostly a popping noise. I have contacted support and they suggest me go to the a store and see if the issue is coming from Helix or Powercab. Before I do anything, I want to see what you guys think or if anyone has experienced this. Really hoping this can be fixed with a firmware update like the SPDIF dropout issue in the past. 

I know the cable I just bought that doesn't work at all is 110 ohm (I should mention that it does work when connecting via analog XLR outs, so the cable isn't bad. All the cables I've tested with are known working cables.)

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EBU025--hosa-ebu-025-25-foot

I'm not sure what the other cables I tested are. I'm assuming they are not 110 ohm, just standard XLR cables. 

I wonder if it's Helix or Powercab that's causing the problem. I have no real way of testing it other than going to a Guitar Center or Sam Ash and hoping they let me test my Helix on another Powercab (I didn't purchase either from those stores). I really hope it's Powercab because I just bought it from Sweetwater and could easily exchange it - I can't afford to go without my Helix as I have multiple gigs every week. I'm leaning on just exchanging the Powercab and hoping that solves the problem - If it's Helix, I'm lollipop out of luck. I could just use the analog outs, but I'd like to get another Powercab in the future and link everything up, and the sound quality is a lot clearer to me over digital. One of the big reasons I got the Plus is the L6 Link capabilities. If I'm spending thousands of dollars I want every feature to work even if I don't technically need it. What would you guys do? Is there any other way you can think of to determine which device is defective? 

• 1 month later...

I have same problem between Helix and a just-purchased PC+ and OEM L6 Link cable. I have updated firmware on both. I get intermittent sound, except probably less than described by Mastamitch. I could not get a standard XLR cable to work using the L6 link.

Does anyone have a solution to this issue? I'm assuming its the cable but would like to make sure. Thanks

23 minutes ago, lavaspin said:

I have same problem between Helix and a just-purchased PC+ and OEM L6 Link cable. I have updated firmware on both. I get intermittent sound, except probably less than described by Mastamitch. I could not get a standard XLR cable to work using the L6 link.

Does anyone have a solution to this issue? I'm assuming its the cable but would like to make sure. Thanks

I also have a thread started in Helix where I just included the following info:

• I made sure firmware up to date on both units
  • Signal fine using 1/4" cable from: 1/4" Helix  out to Input 1 PC+
  • Signal fine use a standard XLR cable from: XLR Helix out to Input 1 PC+
  • Signal seems fine using the new L6 Link AES/EBU 110 ohm cable from: XLR Helix out to Input 1 PC+
  • Digital clicks and very intermittent signal using same L6 Link cable from: Digital Helix out to Digital in on PC+ (confirmed using IN on PC+)
  • --with above digital link, I tried different global settings, i.e., AES and PDIF, and also different sample rates
  • --with above digital link, I set my patch to digital out on my patch/preset
  • I also tried a standard XLR cable going from digital out to digital in, as someone said that worked for them. It did not work for me. But that may be due to impedence mismatch?

1 minute ago, lavaspin said:

Mastamitch, did you figure out a way to eliminate the Helix being the problem? I don't have a way of trying the two units on different gear. Thanks

Sweetwater sent me a replacement while I still had the defective powercab. I tested the new one and sent the old one back. If the place you bought it from doesn't do that, you'd have to take it to a music store. One thing I remember doing is connecting powercab to my computer via USB and playing pc audio through powercab...when I tried to connect helix via L6 link, USB playback would stop entirely. Maybe that's further evidence that it's powercab. 

For any others, I just want to provide the resolution. Similar to Mastamitch, the problem was with the Powercab Plus Digital input, or an internal software glitch. It was not the cable. I also bought mine from Sweetwater. After describing the problem and the troubleshooting efforts, Sweetwater sent a warranty replacement. Great service from them.