Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

AMPLIFI effects

hasseg1

The AMPLIFi amps/FX are not the same as those in Helix. They are primarily the POD xt/X3 series models with some POD HD amp models. Sound quality is a subjective thing but I think most would say that the AMPLIFi sounds are good but not as good as Helix. The Helix amp models are more responsive in terms of touch and feel. For instance Helix models respond more dynamically like a real amp when you roll the volume knob on the guitar, or dig in while playing.

Many thanks for your quick reply!

I understand that the amps don't have the same quality.

My question was more regarding the effects.

I will be using the FX100 as an effect unit with my Marshall amp,

bypassing the FX100 amp/cab.

Helix FX are also based on newer modelling technology than AMPLIFi. Again, quality is subjective but most would rate the Helix FX as higher quality. A recent Helix update added all the POD xt/X3/AMPLIFi legacy FX but the other Helix FX are superior at least in terms of the modelling technology (more depth/sampling).

I wouldn't buy an FX100 strictly to use the effects. Look into one of the effects pedal units, instead. (not really familiar with the options, to be honest)

The FX switching options are way too limited to be a satisfying choice as an effects-only pedal. You only have 4 preset selections, accessible via switches A, B, C and D. And bank up/down selection, which is awkward, at best. The individual effects can't be turned on or off at the tap of a switch. There's no 'Boost' switch available for a quick solo boost.

Visible indication of the currently-selected preset is done via a two digit LED display and a single LED indicating which switch is active. Good luck remembering what '07' with the B LED on means.

Do yourself a favor and re-think this!

Addendum: IMO,  If you're looking for a budget solution and are satisfied with earlier technology, a used POD XT Live would be a better choice than the FX100. You can turn the amp models off to allow you to take it straight into your amp, and the XT Live has switches for the individual effects.