Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Problems Recording Helix On PC, Tips appreciated

Retro-Rick

Hi Everyone, I do a lot of recordings, guitar and backing tracks. I've always done so with an external multitrack recorder. It would be a lot more convenient if I could record on my laptop connecting my helix via USB. I have tried this many different ways and gotten mainly frustration. I wish Line 6 offered their own PC multitrack recorder that was certain to work well with their products.

What I wish would work, is like this, I plug my helix into my PC by USB, and plug my headphones into my PC (not my Helix) and pull my backing track into my recording software, play along and record.

I have not been able to make this work. The only thing that I got working was plugging my headphones into my helix, playing along with my backing tracks, which sounds good, but the recordings sound crap due to latency. Can anybody advise me, is what I want possible?

Yes, it's possible and generally works quite well with no perceptible latency if you're monitoring directly from Helix, using it as your sound card... unless you have "direct monitoring" turned on in your DAW. This will make you hear yourself twice... the direct feed from Helix, then hearing what you played again after it makes the round trip into your computer and back out again, and into your cans. Just make sure that's turned off. 

• Upvote 1

I have use PC most of my life and decided to pull the trigger and purchase an Imac and it has been the best musical decision other than practicing. Everything works no stress with lots of time to make music. If you can purchase a refurbished older mac problems solved. I went through the same things as you a few years ago it's frustrating. This is just another option for the long run.

21 hours ago, brue58ski said:

What program are you using to record?

I was trying with several free programs, I finally got NCH Mixpad to work. I set the latency to 3ms. Timing sounds about right. I'm using the Helix as Recording Device and Audio Playback, seems to be good, I guess I can finally rid myself of my multitrack recorder. 

Have you tried this?

https://cakewalk.bandlab.com/

It's essentially this for free.

http://www.cakewalk.com/Products/SONAR

It's a long story and I'm a bit miffed since I've bought Sonar and all of the upgrades for awhile. But it's free now. If you haven't tried it, do so. I like it. (Despite all the money they've gotten from me.)

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎6‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 3:52 PM, brue58ski said:

Have you tried this?

https://cakewalk.bandlab.com/

It's essentially this for free.

http://www.cakewalk.com/Products/SONAR

It's a long story and I'm a bit miffed since I've bought Sonar and all of the upgrades for awhile. But it's free now. If you haven't tried it, do so. I like it. (Despite all the money they've gotten from me.)

Hi, Sorry for the late response, I don't understand why I don't get notified when people respond. Another "settings" problem...

Anyway, the only program I got to work (but not great) is NCH Mixpad, it's a free program. I have some other older programs, an earlier version of Cubase,

tried Audicity, these programs don't seem to recognise helix properly. I tried bandlab, what I do is mainly record guitar parts together with backing tracks.

Can't seem to get anything to work really well. I went to the Cakewalk website, looks like they are closed down.

On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 6:55 AM, Evan329 said:

I have use PC most of my life and decided to pull the trigger and purchase an Imac and it has been the best musical decision other than practicing. Everything works no stress with lots of time to make music. If you can purchase a refurbished older mac problems solved. I went through the same things as you a few years ago it's frustrating. This is just another option for the long run.

What is the program on the imac you are using that works well with helix?

Can you record yourself along with an other track and not have latency issues?

26 minutes ago, duncann said:

Since noone else mentioned it yet, have you tried Reaper? It does pretty much anything you'd want.

I was just going to say - I have no problems in Reaper, no latency and have direct monitoring while recording.  I recently bought Native as well (recording with no issues either) - and having a blast with it! 

• 2 weeks later...

If you purchase a Imac try to get one with a fusion drive. They combine 7200rpm mechanical Hard drive with SD drive that is used for common task. You could also just buy a an external SD connect through a thunderbolt port, which has insane data tranfer rate.