Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix HX and expression pedals

jstudio123

So far so good, I've done some back to back tests with my pedal collection and my live rig and am struggling to fault the effects from the Helix HX. But Im still using my trusty custom audio Wah pedal. Now, assuming the wah models in the Helix HX are as good as the other pedal models, then logic says I can ditch the Custom audio wah and go with an expression pedal.

Questions re Expression pedals....as some expression pedals have a toe switch, can this be set up to activate the wah irrespective of what mode you are in (i.e. preset / stomp), or do you have to have the wah effect activated and therefor taking up a pedal space in your preset or stomp mode. (not sure that makes sense!). But basically I like to jump on the wah whenever I feel like, and want to be sure I do this before spending money on an expression pedal.

On this subject, Mission engineering seem to do a rather nice Line 6 expression pedal......And rather nice (as we all know) usually means 'expensive', and it is. Are there any alternatives that offer the same function as the mission engineering pedal, but maybe at a more competitive price?.

Thanks...Paul.

There's no way to use the toe switch on an external pedal as a bypass controller, but you don't need it because the HX Effects has an Auto-Engage feature with expression pedals. What that means it the expression pedal itself can control the bypass states of blocks. If you bring in a wah block in the Signal Flow view it will automatically be set up so that EXP1 controls the bypass state of the wah and the wah position parameter. Page 30 of the manual describes the process of selecting EXP1 or EXP2 as the bypass controller for blocks:

TzkxsZO.jpg

Going to resurect this thread as I am now the proud owner of a mission ep-1rd, which is a standard TRS 10k expression pedal.

However, it's not working how I would expect.....

Issue 1: As soon as I plug it into exp 2 and move it, it seems to immediately become a volume pedal. In the fully back (heel) position I have no sound at all. What is odd, is if I then remove it completely from the Helix HX I cannot get that bank of stomps to work again. i.e. no output at all...I've looked at all my settings and simply cannot figure why this is. I have even tried to reset controller settings and that does not seem to work either....

Issue 2: having managed to get it working as a Wah in a different bank of pedals and moving it to exp 1 (which I was using for amp channel switching). I can't get the pedal to function how I wanted it to....Which is basically in the full back position I would like it to not activate the wah block, and as soon as you start moving it the wah should come on....

Any help very much appreciated :-)