Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Variax modelled output into pitch detection harmony unit?

randallp

Hi, newbie here with Variax Standard LE Onyx on the way. I've just bought a Helix and am grinning from ear to ear playing with it.

I got sucked into a Variax after seeing it combined with the Helix. I have a question about integrating it and the Helix with a vocal harmony processor which senses what chord a guitar is playing and then basically keeps my singing on pitch. (A *very* good thing with my voice)

Has anyone experience using a Variax in this way? The vocal harmony processor manual says a guitar should be plugged into it first before the pass-thru goes into effects processors (so it can detect the right chords from a clean signal). If the Variax is altering the notes, do you know if the harmony processor would be able to work with the processed chord? 

Hopefully Yours,

Patrick

SW Florida

The manual is referring to effects processing like distortion, reverb, delays, chorus, flange, etc. The "pure" guitar tone coming out of a Variax will work fine with a harmony device like the type TC Helicon makes (and others).

• Like 1

Thanks. I can see that working from the magnetic Variax jack into the harmony processor (I will certainly be trying that when the Variax arrives). How would I proceed if using the Variax to Helix “ethernet” connection though? How do I hook to the harmony processor then?

3 hours ago, randallp said:

Thanks. I can see that working from the magnetic Variax jack into the harmony processor (I will certainly be trying that when the Variax arrives). How would I proceed if using the Variax to Helix “ethernet” connection though? How do I hook to the harmony processor then?

Just so we're all on the same page, there's no "magnetic Variax jack". The 1/4" output carries the exact same signal as the VDI connection... modeled guitars and/or the mag pickups...so you could plug straight into the harmony unit, and then into Helix if you want. 

But if you prefer the VDI connection to Helix, just put the harmony unit in an FX loop, as the first block in the signal chain. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

You only need a Send... no reason to return the guitar signal back from the vocal processor, but you might take the vocal signal into a different return/path to add synchronised effects and simplify control.

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...
On 6/22/2018 at 7:15 AM, cruisinon2 said:

But if you prefer the VDI connection to Helix, just put the harmony unit in an FX loop, as the first block in the signal chain. 

Damn, I wish this forum had a 'save' feature, where you could save specific posts, or comments, that you know you are going to need down the road.  Reddit has it, for example, and it is invaluable to me.  'Commenting' to pseudo save is just too sloppy and adds noise.

Thanks to all the great 'tech support' commenters here.  Right now, I'm just copying posts that I think I'll need in the future into an ongoing text file.