Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Running Helix to FOH and Powered Speaker simultaneously

kahlrichurds

Hello! So I am playing a show in a few weeks, and I am currently running my helix to a powered speaker for monitoring (with a flat EQ of course). I am thinking about trying to send a signal with the same tone/eq/etc to FOH just so they can crank it in their monitors more. Am I overthinking this, or can I simply run a 1/4" cable to my speaker via 1/4" OUT L output, and run another 1/4" to XLR to the FOH via the 1/4" OUT R output? I am trying it with my interface, and the exact same tone is coming through both outputs (which is what I am looking for). Thanks!

You can run one signal (either 1/4 or XLR) to front of house then the other signal to your powered speaker. You can assign the big volume knob to only control your powered speaker and not the FOH signal, so you can adjust your own volume without messing with FOH. 

One thing to do for this is in the Global area, you can assign the main volume knob to control only the 1/4" outputs so you can adjust the level going to your monitor and not effect the XLR output level. When you do this the XLR outputs act as if they are turned up all the way.

2 hours ago, themetallikid said:

Thanks guys, I'll play with this tonight, seems like it'd be easier than trying to reach behind and under a powered wedge, lol. 

Will I need to alert the sound guy for any weird volume signal issue then with that change? 

Using the big knob for your 1/4" monitor send, the FOH will get a steady mic level signal. No worries!

13 hours ago, kahlrichurds said:

Hello! So I am playing a show in a few weeks, and I am currently running my helix to a powered speaker for monitoring (with a flat EQ of course). I am thinking about trying to send a signal with the same tone/eq/etc to FOH just so they can crank it in their monitors more. Am I overthinking this, or can I simply run a 1/4" cable to my speaker via 1/4" OUT L output, and run another 1/4" to XLR to the FOH via the 1/4" OUT R output? I am trying it with my interface, and the exact same tone is coming through both outputs (which is what I am looking for). Thanks!

Apparently everyone missed what you said.  There's no reason to send the signal to the board using the 1/4" out R output.  Just send it using the XLR L/mono output to the board.  You could be inviting problems if you happen to use a stereo effect.  In that case you'd get one side of the stereo in your monitor and one side at the board.

• Like 2

I run mine XLR right, set to mic level, to FOH.

If you are changing yours from line to mic level, yes there will be a volume drop at the board so your sound person will have to bring your level up a bit. 

10 hours ago, DunedinDragon said:

Apparently everyone missed what you said.  There's no reason to send the signal to the board using the 1/4" out R output.  Just send it using the XLR L/mono output to the board.  You could be inviting problems if you happen to use a stereo effect.  In that case you'd get one side of the stereo in your monitor and one side at the board.

DD is correct. The output coming from the XLR and 1/4 outputs should be almost identical if they are both set to instrument or line(and close even if they aren't) unless you have different Helix routes feeding them.  Either the left 1/4 or left XLR outputs automatically sum the Helix's inherently stereo signal path to mono. So... although you could make the last block in your signal chain a mono block which would ensure the same signal from the left and right inputs that approach is inherently limiting and unnecessary. Just use the left summing outputs instead for mono and run XLR (usually to FOH) and run 1/4 to your stage monitor.

6 hours ago, dkleiner said:

If I am using XLR cables only, can I send the one to my powered mono and the other to FOH and still be able to control the volume knob on the monitor’s out only?

Nope, if you assign the volume knob to control only the XLR out it will control both XLR left and right. If you have both XLR outputs plugged in the volume knob will control both. There is no setting to only control for example the left XLR while the right XLR is also plugged in. It is hard to envision why you would want to run it this way. It will needlessly complicate and limit your preset design. If the problem is that both your FOH and monitor only have XLR inputs then use a DI box, a convertor, or a 1/4 to XLR cable for the monitor using the left 1/4 output on the Helix for the monitor and the left XLR output for FOH.