Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Multitap help?

kimonostereo

Hi all! New Helix HX user as of this week and still trying to learn my way around this new (for me) FX platform. Is there any manual or guide that can explain how the Multitap 4 and 6 effects work? I'm trying to create a 3 tap delay with 3 different delay times (example: 200ms, 400ms, 600ms) but I only see 1 delay time setting. How do the taps work in those two effects?

• 2 years later...
1 hour ago, Billabong17 said:

I need to know as well

Hi Billabong,

Guess it can be a bit confusing if you’re not familiar with multi tap delays, but they are exactly what the name implies and they were a big thing in the ‘80s.

To understand how they work, here’s a quick example for a 4 tap delay.

Start out by setting a maximum time, feedback and mix  - let’s say 1000ms (1sec) @ 35% mix 30%

So far it’s like setting a standard delay, but the taps and scale usually throw people.

Select Tap 1 Scale 80% Pan Right 100 this will give you an additional delay to the original coming in at 800ms (80% of 1sec) on the right

Select Tap 2 Scale 60% Pan Left 100 this will give you an additional delay to the original coming in at 600ms on the left

Select Tap 3 Scale 40% Pan Right 50 this will give you an additional delay to the original coming in at 400ms towards the right

Select Tap 4 Scale 20% Pan Left 25 this will give you an additional delay to the original coming in at 200ms a little to the left.

Simply remember that whatever you enter for the main delay time is the staring point and all the taps are set as percentages of that time.

Adjust the Pan, Feedback and Mix to whatever floats your boat, but essentially that’s what it is. It’s all down to arithmetic for the other notes like dotted eighth - you need to work those out. There is probably a listing on the inter webs for how the timings are divided up for various BPM.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

• Upvote 2

On 7/26/2020 at 12:52 PM, datacommando said:

Hi Billabong,

Guess it can be a bit confusing if you’re not familiar with multi tap delays, but they are exactly what the name implies and they were a big thing in the ‘80s.

To understand how they work, here’s a quick example for a 4 tap delay.

Start out by setting a maximum time, feedback and mix  - let’s say 1000ms (1sec) @ 35% mix 30%

So far it’s like setting a standard delay, but the taps and scale usually throw people.

Select Tap 1 Scale 80% Pan Right 100 this will give you an additional delay to the original coming in at 800ms (80% of 1sec) on the right

Select Tap 2 Scale 60% Pan Left 100 this will give you an additional delay to the original coming in at 600ms on the left

Select Tap 3 Scale 40% Pan Right 50 this will give you an additional delay to the original coming in at 400ms towards the right

Select Tap 4 Scale 20% Pan Left 25 this will give you an additional delay to the original coming in at 200ms a little to the left.

Simply remember that whatever you enter for the main delay time is the staring point and all the taps are set as percentages of that time.

Adjust the Pan, Feedback and Mix to whatever floats your boat, but essentially that’s what it is. It’s all down to arithmetic for the other notes like dotted eighth - you need to work those out. There is probably a listing on the inter webs for how the timings are divided up for various BPM.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

Hey, thanks for the reply. That does make more sense now. I guess I've got used to using dual delays and using note values rather than % of the 1st delay (1/4 note, dotted eighth etc). Will need my calculator now:)

• Thanks 1