Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Why would I need Native with Floor?

mitchmarkell

That's the question I asked myself..and I answered "I don't".  I suppose it would be of use if I didn't have a Helix floor dedicated to my DAW computer.  I suppose there could be some value if you wanted to record a wet and dry channel and then play with different sounds on the dry channel, but that was about the only value I could see.

I think you are missing something!

That is if you use your Helix live.

I use Native so I don't need to get the Floor unit out every time I want to practice.

I also use it as a travel unit with my laptop and a simple interface for practice and any quick Ideas while travelling.

It is the best solution I've had for that - I use Mainstage as the host application for travel on the laptop - but I could use a full DAW if I needed it - you can have it on your home workstation and your laptop with one license - so I find it really convenient.  If the only place you play music is in your studio, maybe there is no gain for you........

• Like 1

I record music at home which often uses guitar DIs processed with a guitar amp VST. This is a lot more flexible than recording directly from Helix Floor because I could change the amp or effects long after the performance was recorded. Helix Native lets me have exactly the same tones on my recordings as I use at gigs, but gives me that freedom to tweak later if necessary.

The ability to re-amp a recording long after it is recorded is the main advantage to having the software. If you record with your floor unit the take is the take and you would have to record again if you wanted to change a setting. You can do 1 take, and futz with it all you want with native until you get it just the way you want it.

• Like 1

I'm with Kylotan and Native is essential for my home recording.   If you do home recording, you should try try reamping with the Helix and see if you like that process and then get Native and record DI and use Native and see if getting it is worth it for you.  I have gone back to "old" recordings with DI guitar and bass and opened Native and did tweaking for a variety of reasons, like switching to a newly added amp, and the simplicity of this is great.

On 6/24/2018 at 9:23 AM, joebradley62 said:

The ability to re-amp a recording long after it is recorded is the main advantage to having the software. If you record with your floor unit the take is the take and you would have to record again if you wanted to change a setting. You can do 1 take, and futz with it all you want with native until you get it just the way you want it.

Sh*t.......looks like I'm getting Native now.   Thanks for helping Line 6 make my wallet lighter!  : )  

Seriously - this right here is a game changer - I appreciate the info!

On 6/24/2018 at 10:23 AM, joebradley62 said:

You can certainly do the same thing with Helix Floor as with Native. It's just not as efficient a process with the floor unit. I don't have Native, so I'm not 100% sure, but I also think Helix Floor can do at least one thing Native can't, as far as reamping. For example, if a track requires manual operation of an expression pedal (mostly to get a natural, organic feel to whatever it's being used for), you can record that as midi data, as well as a dry track. Then both the midi data and dry track can be sent back to Helix Floor for processing.

Helix Native negative - when tracking, Native is cpu hungry, so its challenging to get latency low enough when recording complex projects unless you monitor dry, through Floor, or through something like an Apollo with onboard DSP

Helix Native positive - after your dry tracks are recorded its easier and simpler to tweak your Helix wet settings, presets, and do DAW automation. And no Floor setup required. But if you don't have decent DAW system horsepower, Native is still CPU hungry.

1 hour ago, duncann said:

You can certainly do the same thing with Helix Floor as with Native. It's just not as efficient a process with the floor unit. I don't have Native, so I'm not 100% sure, but I also think Helix Floor can do at least one thing Native can't, as far as reamping. For example, if a track requires manual operation of an expression pedal (mostly to get a natural, organic feel to whatever it's being used for), you can record that as midi data, as well as a dry track. Then both the midi data and dry track can be sent back to Helix Floor for processing.

I should have added the one word "easier" I should have said, it is easier to make changes etc with Native, of course some people I am sure will say they find it easier with the floor unit. So my final answer is it is easier "for me" to do so.