Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX effects noise with amp gain

Phil110567

Hi there !

Trying to use the HX Effect with my 2-channels amp.

No problem with clean channel. No problem when using line6 HX effects internal distortion or OD

amazing tone

When I engage my amp lead channel, HX Effect cause some noise problems with the amp.

- I know that gain must generate some noise

- My amp is usually quiet

- This is a groove tube amp with high gain capacity but I keep gain relatively  low

- Other setting WITHOUT HX effect with pedal in front that are not true bypass don't generate this noise

- This noise is NOT 50hz hum ground-loop noise, single pups noise, but more shhhhhhhh kind of noise (noise of snake not happy with modern jazz)

- When testing, I mute all the effects

- The unit is plugged in front (I plan to use the FX loop when this issue is solved)

- I compare bypass and engaged tone, Huge difference with noise when HX effect is in line

- All the input/ouput are set to instrument level.

Is there anybody having the same issue ?

Do you think this is the classical noisy HF effects syndrome ?

6 hours ago, Phil110567 said:

- The unit is plugged in front (I plan to use the FX loop when this issue is solved)

Agree with phil_m about opening a support ticket, but don't discount the above helping the noise- it did with my LT. The noise floor (even in tuner mode) was unacceptable until I went to 4cm & also got a hum eliminator which helped the added noise from using the EXP amp chan switching mode.  

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I had the same issue when I first got my HX Effects. I was running it through my computer in Bias Amp 2 and was getting a ton of noise on any channel that had gain. I had to push the noise gate up really high to get the noise to stop. I then took it to practice and used it through my Bias Rack. There was no problem, absolutely no extra noise through the HX effects unit. My amp is way higher gain than the desktop version and I didn't have the noise gate cranked. The only difference was all of my practice rig is powered through a Furman power conditioner. At home on my desktop setup I was running everything through cheap power strips. I replaced the cheap power strips with a Monster Power strip that has power filtration and the noise was gone. I think the unit is sensitive to "dirty" power and will have a ton of noise unless there is a filtrated or conditioned power source powering it and possibly equipment connected to it. Hope this helps everyone with the issue.

• 8 months later...

I bought the unit and hooked it up to my Egnater Tourmaster 4100 via front input.  I got the same hum, but only on the distortion channels.  No noise on a clean channel.  All effects were off, it was simply having the unit on.  I tried the effects loop and it was even worse.  I had heard that these types of processors don't play well with amps not on a clean channel, but I had hoped the issue would have been resolved with this unit.  I updated to the current version (v2.71) and still get the hum.  As I prefer the distortion through my amp, this unit is all but unusable for me and I will unfortunately have to return it.

• 6 months later...

I just got mine. Clean channel perfect other 3 channels all lollipope! Tried every way of cabling, some worse than others. I am so disappointed as this unit was going to be the centrepiece of my rig and it's all but unusable. I have opened a ticket, whatever that does...... It would seem that this is a fairly common problem. I even purchased all new cables for the loom. 

See what happens 

Hello everyone, I just wanted to let everyone know that I found the reason for noise in my system. Firstly, i took my first unit back as I thought that possibly it could have been one of the defective units. Slim chance I know. 2nd unit i bought home set up and yep same problem. After lollipoping about for a couple of hours I was ready to give up and i started to unplug it all ready to take back for refund. very disappointed. The first plug i went to pull out was the USB cable which was the only one that I hadn't tried. Unplugged it and BAM noise gone. 

I post this knowing full well I could be the object of ridicule (fair enough) but some may not have tried it simply leaving it plugged in because this is how they edit their sounds. 

Cheers and have a great festivus. 

• 2 years later...

I use a Carvin Legacy Head..took it outta the FX Loop and the noise instantly stopped. And honestly,I can tell no difference in tone and the effects still sound rich.

Kind of a win win situation. 2 extra cables I don't have to pack around anymore...

• 1 year later...
On 12/22/2019 at 11:25 AM, Rish74 said:

The first plug i went to pull out was the USB cable which was the only one that I hadn't tried. Unplugged it and BAM noise gone. 

5 years after original reply - I was experiencing the same issue into a Freidman runt 20 - unlugged the USB and it's silent now.

On 2/29/2024 at 6:34 PM, chonk said:

5 years after original reply - I was experiencing the same issue into a Freidman runt 20 - unlugged the USB and it's silent now.

I experienced this the hard way as well. Took awhile to figure it out. More to the point, I had given up solving the issue and then one day I unplugged my USB cable first.

• Like 1