Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Mixing A Recording In Daw After 1.2 Update

Hi all,

I have happily been mixing recordings imported into protools up to now. Today I did my first mix from a recording after the 1.2 update and I'm really struggling with the levels being too low. Anyone else experienced this? I'm having to push the gain up to near max and then bouncing to disk and pushing the gain up again in the mastering stage to get any volume.

I may have just made some error when recording in the first place but I can't think what...

I'm not sure about this, but I would check my Trim settings in the Setup. I think the recorded signal may be post-Trim, and pre-Level. If so, and if your levels are adjusted higher to compensate for a lower Trim setting then that could result in a low recorded signal. Try increasing your Trim levels and decreasing your channel Levels.

.... just a guess.....

I just started trying to connect the M20d to Apple Logic on my Macbook with the 1.2 drivers, etc, and found the levels sent to the DAW to be fairly low, 

but it sounds like it's on purpose. 

User ArneLine6 quoted this:

"It is 24bit audio. The "0" on the M20d is at 0dBu which is an analog reference to encourage a good headroom and match any metering of analog gear that is connected. The full level before clipping is +15.4 dBu which is 0 dBFS, digital full scale. "

And I found out via googling that Apple Logic treats 0db on the metering as 0 dbFS (db full scale) ie if you go above 0 on Logic, that's clipping digitally. 

In a nutshell, sending 0dBu from the M20d to Logic reads as -15.4db on Logic. 

After reading a bunch of other resources, I'm ok with it that way, it does leave lots of headroom, and I set Logic to 24 bit audio to keep some more bits around.

Also, by experimentation, and by Line6 description I think yes, the USB audio out is post Trim, and pre fader, so if you trim your input very low, you will have a very low signal at your DAW..

Here's the thread:

http://line6.com/support/topic/3026-trouble-with-streaming-audio-tofrom-usb-macbook-pro-since-v12-upgrade/

My issue is I can't play audio back from logic to the M20d via USB. 

I also see logic react to audio in from the M20d with a half second or so delay, so I too will have latency complaints if I ever get audio playback from USB working. 

I'm still happy with the M20d for live work, but I was planning on selling my old Presonus firewire26 setup and use the M20d as a replacement. I wanted to take that cash to help pay for a line6 floor monitor..

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi all,

I have happily been mixing recordings imported into protools up to now. Today I did my first mix from a recording after the 1.2 update and I'm really struggling with the levels being too low. Anyone else experienced this? I'm having to push the gain up to near max and then bouncing to disk and pushing the gain up again in the mastering stage to get any volume.

I may have just made some error when recording in the first place but I can't think what...

Hello,I met the same issue with low signal with my line6 stage scape.I installed a soft named line6 Monkey on the site but ,for nothing

• Downvote 1

No idea what I'm doing right but using Logic Pro X I've dumped the tracks into a new file and they've been just fine. Logic asks if I want to change the project to 48k, I say yes and tell it to create new tracks and away it goes.  Really been pretty slick.