Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

The "Show your HX Effects pedalboard" thread

phil_m

this has been my set up for quite some time now.... All the stompboxes are in loops of the Voodoo labs, coming out of the insert loop of the Voodoo Labs to the front of the HX  which is wired to my amp using the 4CM, so if I wanted to add any stomps in the FX loop I have loops 7 and 8 available....the HX controls the Voodoo Lab switcher via MIDI which so far this is proven to be super flexible for me and gives me the option of having pretty complex presets for different parts of a song or the freedom to use the entire rig like a normal pedalboard.... CrbZfud.jpgt

On 9/6/2020 at 7:39 AM, Blocka1 said:

Here’s mine just want to swap out the Ibanez for a nano Russian big muff and want to get a wiretap or the new ditto plus as a way to save ideas. I’m playing mostly in the bedroom these days so liking to headphone amp and using the B7K model as my “amp”

C550D62B-A66E-411F-8790-2515E713E70B.jpeg

Hey may I ask what brand and model that pedal board is? I need one just like that. Thanks! 

• Like 1

On 9/30/2020 at 5:18 PM, MarcG28 said:

this has been my set up for quite some time now.... All the stompboxes are in loops of the Voodoo labs, coming out of the insert loop of the Voodoo Labs to the front of the HX  which is wired to my amp using the 4CM, so if I wanted to add any stomps in the FX loop I have loops 7 and 8 available....the HX controls the Voodoo Lab switcher via MIDI which so far this is proven to be super flexible for me and gives me the option of having pretty complex presets for different parts of a song or the freedom to use the entire rig like a normal pedalboard.... CrbZfud.jpgt

What's the golden stompbox in the middle? Looks like a Klon clone, but one I've never seen before...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 9/28/2020 at 12:55 PM, C4TH said:

Pedaltrain Classic 1 - HX Effects - Digitech Drop - Digitech Bad Monkey - TC Electronic The Quintessence - Dunlop Mini - Morningstar ML5 - Fender FRV1 - Boss SY-1 - TC Bona Fide - All powered by Voodoo Lab PP2.

IMG_1446.jpeg

Please I need to hear a demo of this board!! Please!! 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 6/5/2019 at 4:16 AM, chrismkane said:

Hi, this is the middle sized Friedman board. It is very nice. Two levels and cable management is sweet. Also comes with the Wah ramp that you can move around if you desire. I bought four boards before this one was the perfect pedalboard for me.  The Waggi Pedalboard was odd...I sent it back...But I still have the Accel Pedalboard (Pictured) that is pretty cool.

B70753A4-AD0F-4B37-BB1C-9E76463C4DD7.jpeg

Hey! I was just wondering what your experience with the Melo Audio midi commander was like? How were you using it with the HX Effects? 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 6/28/2020 at 5:54 PM, ian_90 said:

On the board

• Preamp: Two Notes Le Clean
  • Power supply: Voodoo Lab Pedal Power Digital 
  • Audio cables: Van Damme XKE 6mm unbalanced
  • Audio jacks: KMMK SPS5 SquarePlug. Straight Mono Jack. 1/4", 6.35mm
  • Audio jacks: KMMK SP550-S SquarePlug. Pancake Style Jack. TRS Right Angled 1/4" 6.35mm
  • MIDI cable: One Control OC-MHC-30
  • Power to helix: Voodoo Lab Current Doubler Adapter PPAP into Voodoo Lab 5.5mm/2.1mm centre negative DC cable trimmed to fit 5.5mm/2.5mm straight barrel push fit power cable plug (rated for 5A, 12V)
  • Power to preamp: Voodoo Lab 2.1mm centre negative DC cable trimmed to fit 5.5mm/2.1mm straight barrel push fit power cable plug (rated for 5A, 12V)

Pedal board

• 18mm marine plywood
  • Cable Tie mount 12.5x12.5
  • 3M dual lock
  • 20mm aluminium extrusion (1mm thick, 18mm inner). 18mm inner dimension is actually slightly tapered, so it was banged on with rubber mallet and is not going anywhere.
  • StarTech.com 1-1/4in Dia. Self-Adhesive Rubber Feet for PC Cases

Case

• SKB iSeries 2015-10, 3i-2015-10BC

Notes on pedal board

• The power supply is rated for 1.6A, and currently draws all of it (1.1A from HX Effects and 0.5A from Le Preamp) so it runs very hot. To be replaced with CIOKS DC7 or Eventide Powermax eventually.

Notes on Two Notes Le Clean preamp

• The MIDI cable sends a program change from the HX Effects to the preamp to put it into "cold fusion" mode automatically when a preset is loaded. This command is sent as an instant command on each preset.
  • The Le Clean has two channels and can combine them in series ("hot fusion") or run them in parallel ("cold fusion"). I originally believed that Le Preamp could produce 4 channels of increased gain staging - clean, crunch, "cold fusion" and "hot fusion". However this is not the case, since getting "cold fusion" to work with "hot fusion" is impossible - when the gain and fusion knobs are setup to allow a natural increase in gain from clean, crunch and hot fusion, these settings cause the cold fusion to become incredibly loud and unpleasant.
  • I also found that the settings required for getting "cold fusion" or "hot fusion" to sound their best required pretty odd EQs, compromising the sound of the clean and crunch channels when used on their own.
  • Therefore, the options I had were:
  • clean and crunch; or
  • cold fusion; or
  • hot fusion.
  • The HX Effects has so much gain staging options that it just wasn't necessary to bother with multiple channels anyway, so I use the Le Clean as a single channel preamp and base everything around the "cold fusion" mode which I think sounds the best. Cold fusion allows for a rich clean that is just on the edge of breaking up, and therefore takes pedals from the HX Effects very nicely. It requires a very non-intuitive EQ to sound its best though.

Notes on tone/presets

• The preamp is EQ'd to sound great clean without any drives. Rather than getting lost in all the IR options, I opted to audition the the Line 6 Allure pack, which all sound very different. I settled on the 90's Cali V30 (Mesa 4x12).
  • I use 5 different presets, the only thing different between them is the distortion pedal. I auditioned lots of combos and eventually settled on the Timmy as the basis, using the Pete Cornish method of putting higher gain before it. The theory didn't always work though since some distortion pedals have very strong EQs:
    • Timmy -> Zendrive (both sound good but this order sounds less muffled)
    • Timmy -> King of Tone (lots of mids this way round but other way removes all the bass)
    • Carvin legacy -> Timmy
    • Tube screamer -> Timmy
    • OCD -> Timmy (lots of mids but other way is too mid cut)
  • Screamer and KOT sound the best. KOT has very subtle gain build up which is great for clean playing (e.g. at church). Screamer just sounds very pleasantly balanced and not distracting - not too bright, muffled or boomy, and can get really heavy when the gain is turned up, which is what I use snapshot 2 for.
  • Snapshot 2 contains different settings for the Timmy and distortion pedals. Generally I drop the level of the overdrive and distortion pedals and turn up the gain to compensate. This enables snapshot 2 to function like a gain boost. The Xotic EP boost on footswitch 6 provides a volume boost, and I can combine them both if required.

Notes on snapshot toggle

• By assigning a HX Snapshot command to my footswitch to change to snapshot 2,  I can push footswitch 3 when I'm snapshot 1 to move to snapshot 2, then press it again to go back to snapshot 1. This enables me to toggle the gain boost on/off using a footswitch just like the volume boost. HX snapshot command is a 2.90 feature, so isn't in the manual.
  • Toggling between snapshot requires setting "Global settings>Preferences>Snapshot reselect" to "Toggle prev". This is a 2.80 features so not in the manual either.
  • I also ensure that "Snapshot bypass" is "off" for all my blocks, which is configured under the "Action" menu. This ensures that toggling between snapshots doesn't mess with any block on/off settings. This is a 2.80 features so not in the manual either.

01 (Medium).JPG

02 (Medium).JPG

03 (Medium).JPG

04 (Medium).JPG

05 (Medium).JPG

06 (Medium).JPG

07 (Medium).JPG

1792058127_08(Medium).thumb.jpg.0159f43396be41547ce04599a89839eb.jpg

08.PNG

09.png

@ian_90

I know that this is an old post but...

Where did you buy the "straight barrel push fit power cable plug".  I am about to pull the trigger on the HX Effects and would like to have my setup short and clean like your setup.

On 7/6/2018 at 4:04 AM, DodgeGB said:

When I first moved away from using/micing my amp, I still had my Elektron Analog Drive and also my H9 on the board. I soon realised that between the HX and AA6, I had everything I needed.

I use the HX as my master, using MIDI to change presets on the AA6. The EV5 controls a final volume block on the AA with the Mission attached to the HX. HX Presets are changed from an iPad which calls up the correct patch when I select the song; the HX is normally in snapshot mode.

The whole thing is cabled up 4CM meaning I can place HX effects before and after the Amp sections in the AA and still come out of the HX into the Cab section of the AA as the final output into the desk.

The best part is I think I've only really scratched the surface of what these 2 can do together.

David.

IMG_0316_1.jpg

I’m currently trying to do this myself by having a few physical pedals out front and the HX pedals being used in the loop. Could you explain how to run the cables? I’ve got the 4cbm down for the HX but can’t figure out where to plug my physical pedals into. Thanks!

• 2 months later...

Here's mine! 

Basically a combination of Strymon gain stage pedals (compression, boost, drive, amp modelling), and the line 6 for modulation and time based effects (plus a wah, a tuner, and a DI). The signal chain is polytune -> crybaby -> compadre -> sunset -> iridium -> hx effects -> dji. The Strymon pedals are all controlled by the HX effects through midi. I basically have 3 general presets per genre (funk, rock, ballad), and use the HX effects in stomp mode and the Strymon pedals to vary the sounds within the genre (i.e. increase gain, delay, etc). 

0C72A149-D90A-4DA1-ACC4-7FC934163B5F.JPG

IMG_9544_mid.jpg

IMG_9591_mid.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

I just attached two old wooden boards to make this expanded "master board", so I wouldn't have to keep swapping pedals out for different rigs. Now, all I have to do is swap a couple of cables. Guitar patches set up for a Fryette head in 4 cable mode, bass patches are a parallel setup going to two different inputs on an old Traynor head. All of the other pedals are before the HX unit. No midi control, but I have the HX set up to control my guitar amp's footswitch functions.

Most of the extras are for the bass rig; guitar could be run with just the HX in a pinch. I could probably get away without the separate OD and noise gate. 

LHGPaMb.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Latest variation of my HX Stomp based pedalboard.

Zuma for everything but the HX Stomp, which is using its own PS, properly fixed and hidden underneath the pedalboard. I do prefer this way, as I find the Stomp more stable, especially at boot. An extra 9V is available at the back of the pedalboard (that I'm using for a Live Logic controller).

From the back of the Rockboard, guitar input goes into Pigtronix philosoper's tone goes into Tumnus, into Pedal Plus, into HX Stomp L input.

HX Stomp TRS send goes in stereo into Iridium, into Capistan, into BlueSky, into Flint, into Zoia, into Loupé, back into HX Stomp Return L/R.

Strymon mini switch swap from standard tape echo to sound on sound frippertronics.

Wet does only let pass the pedal plus sweeps without "blended" signal. Also the Wet switch is sending dry signal to the mini tuner, always active.

HX Stomp USB port is remoted to the back of the Rockboard, so no risk of breaking it.

HX Stomp stereo output and headphones are all remoted to the back of the Rockboard.

HX Stomp is setup as MIDI Central via WIDI, so it can be controlled by any external source (iPad, foot controller, Zoia, etc...)

Zoia is setup as part of a MIDI group via WIDI (together with fishman tripleplay, a launchkey and other toys) and can communicate with HX Stomp, and everything outside

EXPression knob available for Zoia or Loupè via patch cable on the fly.

IMG-7998.jpg

IMG-7999.jpg

IMG-8001.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

My HX setup is a: Gator aluminum pedalboard (large) - Truetone CS6 power supply - Dunlop DVP4 - Line 6 HX Effects - Orange Kongpressor.

I'm using a Voodoo Lab HX current doubler to power the HX Effects, and the pedals are being held with Dual Lock tape.

IMG_7829.thumb.jpg.4e6c4b98195195c90f845f14cceab8d4.jpg

IMG_7817.thumb.jpg.eefd8ad5ead0135baf5b2c3dc23cd083.jpg

IMG_8809a.thumb.jpg.e4f269a93bf179237f223a2af7d811e0.jpg

IMG_8816a.thumb.jpg.9d9bef081f87a5a957929437681bf549.jpg

IMG_7813a.thumb.jpg.af59e356961a8b6aa8c58c7777c36e81.jpg 

IMG_7821a.thumb.jpg.24c1ddf67a34924408be9dde1f83221a.jpg

Finally got it all pulled together. Yes I know I can get the same sounds out of the HX as the analog pedals but they each have sentimental value so I’m keeping them. 

I’d do a few things differently if I built this again but overall am super pleased with how this is functioning! 

image0.jpeg.5492d4e69b27574b160dc238b75f2e76.jpeg

image3.jpeg.c1751b55f334b7c77bb40cd64edb9455.jpegimage2.jpeg.479c98316739fe5c6939fa95bf9ba194.jpegimage1.jpeg.c35d622e3e5a49508b21f64c1b6f6df6.jpeg

• Like 2

On 11/16/2022 at 7:32 PM, xrose said:

My HX setup is a: Gator aluminum pedalboard (large) - Truetone CS6 power supply - Dunlop DVP4 - Line 6 HX Effects - Orange Kongpressor.

I'm using a Voodoo Lab HX current doubler to power the HX Effects, and the pedals are being held with Dual Lock tape.

IMG_7829.thumb.jpg.4e6c4b98195195c90f845f14cceab8d4.jpg

IMG_7817.thumb.jpg.eefd8ad5ead0135baf5b2c3dc23cd083.jpg

IMG_8809a.thumb.jpg.e4f269a93bf179237f223a2af7d811e0.jpg

IMG_8816a.thumb.jpg.9d9bef081f87a5a957929437681bf549.jpg

IMG_7813a.thumb.jpg.af59e356961a8b6aa8c58c7777c36e81.jpg 

IMG_7821a.thumb.jpg.24c1ddf67a34924408be9dde1f83221a.jpg

Nice clean set up. What's the mic stand standing on?

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/17/2022 at 4:00 PM, C4TH said:

Nice clean set up. What's the mic stand standing on?

Sorry for the late response.  The mic stand is an On-Stage GPA1003; which is attached to a base that can slide under a pedalboard.  There are two additional threads on the base for other attachments such as a guitar stand.

51g12C5-YWL.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/8/2022 at 12:18 AM, xrose said:

Sorry for the late response.  The mic stand is an On-Stage GPA1003; which is attached to a base that can slide under a pedalboard.  There are two additional threads on the base for other attachments such as a guitar stand.

51g12C5-YWL.jpg

Thanks mate, I'll check those out.

• 1 month later...

I love this thread! Always great to see everyone's creativity!

I've gone through a couple of versions as I figure out more stuff I can do with the thing. I always enjoy building my own. Here's the first that I built for it. Ignore the dust. This one was designed for 2x in, 1x out and an amp switch.

52650241177_64479d14cf_m.jpg52651178025_c4aeb83089_m.jpg52651215683_7d7b2448ca_m.jpg52650735441_3821688216_m.jpg

Then as I realized I didn't actually do as much of the extra stuff and learned more flexibility with the HX Effects, I tapered down. I also modified my buffer to be a passive Y pedal so I could run an always on tuner. Just a preference of mine.

52650241282_5c0ecf7a95_m.jpg52651215628_b72bc3ccf7_m.jpg52650241152_7c0be57955_m.jpg52650735496_39c4d381cf_m.jpg52650735466_5f3e28da65_m.jpg

• 2 months later...

Long time lurker on this thread so thought I would share my newly completed board and also say thanks to all who have posted their setups as I got lots of tips and inspiration for how to go about mine. For me this is a gigging utility board and as a vocalist/guitarist having the HX Effects handle numerous effects and amp channel changes simultaneously via snapshots for song sections is going to make my life so much simpler! 

ek3TKBI.jpg

vyFxw9S.jpg

w4vvUTD.jpg

DiwPErm.jpg

• 1 month later...

I finally built my first "real" "adult" pedalboard:

442594399_MainBoardsmaller.thumb.jpg.1c872806416a88517663eb01fa28ae06.jpg

The 4 drive pedals are in the 4 total loops, and the FX on the right uses snapshots to turn on the loops on the itself, as well as trigger the unit on the left to turn on its loops via MIDI. Tap tempo is also sent to the left unit via MIDI. I also use 3 expression pedals to control Wah and Drive level on the right unit, and master volume on the left (though some of that changes with some presets, but that's my usual) then the 4th expression input uses the Cntl Knob to switch between two parameters - something like 1/4 and dotted 1/8 on delays, or standard reverb to wetter one, or change rotary speed from fast to slow, etc.

Pedal Power is old, repurposed for this, but I was able to use the accessory outlet on it (upper left in this picture) with an extension chord with 2 outlets on one side, and one on the other. It has a rotating head so I was able to angle it down between the rails, and then I plugged in the two giant wall warts to the extension chord and mounted it up under the upper rail with velcro and secured it with wire ties. You can see one of the wire ties right to the right of the Uzi if you look close - it's all black on black though and hard to see.

I was (and am) VERY unhappy that the HX Effects does not have auto impedance (or even variable settings) - it's the one device that SHOULD have it - and even more disappointed in them that that's not fully disclosed in their literature. So I basically could not get a drive sound I was happy with and ended up going to real pedals for drives. The right most is a Mooer Blues Crab, set to no gain, which is there mainly to "correct" the obscene highs and lack of low end I believe the buffer is producing. It adds some bottom back and I can tame the top and adjusting the gain allows for some tone shaping before it starts to break up so I hated to dedicate it - it sounds great as a drive - but I hated to dedicate it to this purpose, but it's working great so that's that. The Pure Sky is next - for a light OD, then the Joyo Tubescreamer - even though the TSs may be one of the most accurate things in the HX Effects - and the Legacy one is better for me because of the treble and bass - this one still has those low mids the HXs seem to be robbing my signal of. I do pop an EQ on in its loop though, so I can add a touch more bass. But I was shocked how good this pedal sounds (that's true of all of these actually). Next is the Uzi - higher gain distortion in a MIAB style. Actually quite good. B/M/T controls and this Bias thing that really helps to dial it in to your liking. Played one gig with it in this setup and was able to dial in tones in real time, which is not something I could do with the internal drives and trying to access their screens and parameters at my previous gigs - which was becoming a real issue.

So even if I could dial in the internal drives with EQs to sound as good or better than those externals - which I had spent about a year on already - the externals did it on immediate hookup (though I did try some Wampler pedals, a Nobels, and a Blues Driver, none of which got me what I wanted and needed with my rig). Plus I can tweak them quickly at a gig if I need to and while the knobs can get bumped (an obvious advantage to presets!), it's still quicker and easier to dial something in in soundcheck or between sets if necessary, and if all else fails, I can pull a drive off and have a battery clip power supply I can use with one drive to get through a gig!