Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Comparison

joel_brown

Did a gig last night opening for Saliva, along with a couple other bands.  There was everything from modded Marshalls, Fryette, Kemper, and me with my PODHD into a pair of JCM900 power amps in stereo.  The stereo effect was mic'd through the P.A. system panned hard left and right.  Even the guy running sound told me that my guitar tone sounded the best and cut through the mix better than any of the other bands.

I paid particular attention to the Kemper when they played.  It sounded nice but didn't seem to have any dynamics - very solid state flat sounding.  The other real amps sounded nice but got buried in the mix somewhat.  I'm sure a lot of this is EQ but I thought it was funny that the PODHD cut right through and got lots of compliments.   Even the owner of the venue came up to me and said how nice it sounded and wanted us back to headline.

We always hear about issues on this board, which is what it's for.  I thought it would be nice to post something about a positive experience and say "Thank You" to Line6 and everyone here that has helped me over the years.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

In my opinion, any of the gear you mention in your post can and does sound great in the right hands. I think the difference is that you simply know how to dial in a quality tone better than everyone else on the gig. Gear is just a vehicle to great tone, you still have to find it... kudos for doing just that!

I can't take all the credit.  A lot of people posted a ton of great suggestions on here and there was more than a couple times I wanted to give up and buy something else.  The tone is there you just have to find it.  Same thing for other amps and modelers.  But it's nice to know an outdated piece of gear is still keeping up with current expensive gear.