Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Broken cable tip

porky_pie

So, I was playing away with my Helix and afterwards pulled the cable out of the aux in jack on the back.  However, the tip of the cable disconnected from the cable itself and is lodged in the aux in jack...

I'm not really sure how it happened as there was nothing wrong with the cable, and trying to disassemble the other end to see what I have to work with isn't working as the tip is so f@@@ing securely on!

Any bright ideas how I might be able to get it out?  Can I open the back and get at it that way, or is it a completely closed jack?

If the jacks are like the other l6 equipment jacks I’ve dealt with, they’re closed.

what about a magnet?  Or, put a dab of gel-based super glue on the end of the broken 1/4”, insert it, let it sit for a couple minutes, then pull it out.  

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, jws1982 said:

Or, put a dab of gel-based super glue on the end of the broken 1/4”, insert it, let it sit for a couple minutes, then pull it out.  

I’ve done this to an iPod. It works but first, before you pull the plug out, give it a good twist in case some of the glue oozes out the sides of the plug and gets it stuck in the walls of the jack. A quick twist will loosen it from accidentally glued areas. 

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the replies - There isn't enough surface on the broken jack to add glue to which touches the tip I don't think, but I'll try that, thanks. 

If that fails, my current plan is to put a drinking straw in the jack as a protective sleeve for the jack, then put a matchstick tipped with epoxy through and into the lodged tip. Wait for that to set and hope its strong enough to pull it out.

I'm a little loathe to open it up and poke about. I'm lucky it's on the aux in so the helix itself is still usable, but will need to sort out at some point. If this doesn't work, I'll have to come up with a plan B. 

There are a whole lot of videos and suggestions out on the web for how to resolve this. I would just pick one that doesn't have a chance of damaging or gluing yet more material into the jack. You should not have to open the case, there are methods that work great for fixing this, I know my amp tech used the method that uses a screw but I don't remember the specifics although he did describe his method to me once. Not a whole lot to it though, it is a pretty simple and direct approach. You just need the right size screw. Good luck!

Some other methods:

https://www.google.com/search?q=removing+cable+end+tip+from+jack&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&amp

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
On 8/27/2018 at 1:13 PM, porky_pie said:

It's been an age since I asked about this, but finally got over the fear of sticking a screw into an expensive electrical opening and wanted to thank you for your help - Everything extracted and Helix fully functional again!

Glad to hear you removed it without mishap. Btw, what brand of cable was this?