Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

2.60 how's it going??

shanecgriffo

I’m away from home for another couple of weeks so I am looking forward to hearing the chatter. I am quite excited about the DS-1, it’s a long time favorite of mine! I have 3 or 4 of them on the shelf with different mods, it will be cool to have it in the box.

This is a another really great update by the folks at Line 6......and it continues to be free.  Does anybody remember having to buy the "packs" for their previous PODS?  Thank you Line 6!

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, RD1967 said:

This is a another really great update by the folks at Line 6......and it continues to be free.  Does anybody remember having to buy the "packs" for their previous PODS?  Thank you Line 6!

Agreed... but we should all enjoy it while it lasts. Nothing's free forever. Eventually there'll be a new "flagship" device, and anything new developed for Helix will come at a price....if I were to guess, I'd say it's still probably a couple, maybe three years away at this point, but the day is coming. 

Update went smoothly than ever..no need to reset settings etc..just download new helix edit make backup if needed and update firmware thats it ! Somebody told there is MOJO more than ever :) DS-1 Distortion pedal is very good ! Thank you.

-laxtlo

35 minutes ago, jonandtice said:

Any thoughts on the updated reverbs?

If you're into P&W music, like me, or into creating any "ethereal" sounds the update to the new reverbs is absolutely amazing.  It is everything I thought it was going to be when they first released it.  Anybody else?

15 hours ago, RD1967 said:

Well an alternative to charging for "packs" for old units would be to withhold payment to the employees who worked on those packs. Since technically, their work had no monetary value. Then I guess their families would have to turn to their local salvation army for meals and lodging.

Another obvious alternative would be to stop support for the product altogether.

Of course, if a company promises free updates, they should keep their promise for a fair amount of time, and the cost of these "free" updates should be budgeted for. Then this cost will be added to the final price of the unit. So you'll still be paying for those "free" updates.

The part that's not so black-and-white is how long is a fair amount of time. An exception is major bugs which need to be fixed, since no product is marketed as buggy products. Except maybe ant farms ; )

2.60 firmware & hx edit and 1.60 native all installed fine via / on my mac.

I couldn't find the single switch looper to insert it until I realized I already had the multi button looper in my patch and that you are only allowed one.   I am assuming the length of loop is the same as the old one... just a tad short for me at full speed.

Looping is about as important to me as tone so I'm happy to have this new feature especially.

On 7/3/2018 at 8:19 AM, cruisinon2 said:

Agreed... but we should all enjoy it while it lasts. Nothing's free forever. Eventually there'll be a new "flagship" device, and anything new developed for Helix will come at a price....if I were to guess, I'd say it's still probably a couple, maybe three years away at this point, but the day is coming. 

Yep! I would be more than happy with 3 more years of good updates like these.  Especially since they got all their Helix hardware synced for updates across the board, and a few months back streamlined the model making process. (or something along those lines)

I hope they expand on the HX reverb flavors because I really liked the HX reverbs even before this update that fixed the wetness.  

More than 3 more years of good updates, and I would be ecstatic honestly.  

I can only load the 1 Switch Looper from the hardware knobs via my Helix (now ver 2.60) - it is nowhere to be found in my Helix Editor (showing Ver 2.52). 

Weirder than that, once I load it to a preset, it doesn't show up in my Helix Editor in my signal path, but it clearly shows up on my Helix signal path.

Bug? 

3 minutes ago, surfsup1955 said:

I can only load the 1 Switch Looper from the hardware knobs via my Helix (now ver 2.60) - it is nowhere to be found in my Helix Editor (showing Ver 2.52). 

Weirder than that, once I load it to a preset, it doesn't show up in my Helix Editor in my signal path, but it clearly shows up on my Helix signal path.

Bug? 

You need download and install version 2.60 of HX Edit.

The update went great for me, no problems with the install and no bugs that I've noticed. I'm not using any of the new stuff in place of what I've already been using, but I gave them a fair shake. It is nice to have new options for any new tones I might create in the future though. I think the only thing that might drag me away from any of my go-to's at this point would be if they added a Diezel amp model, like the VH4. (Please Line 6?) The Diezel's are the only thing missing from their previous modelers that I would like to see added to the Helix. However, the Archon and Friedman amps were a very welcomed surprise. The Archon in particular is my main hi-gain sound and if it wasn't already available when I bought my Helix I might have returned it to be honest. Some new cab models might be nice for the next update though. Like an Orange PPC or a 5150/6505 cab since they already have the Panama model in there. The XXL cab has done really well for me but new options are always appreciated. I went down the rabbit hole of IRs for a while and at this point I actually prefer the stock cabs. I lollipopped all over them in the Helix review I did on Ultimate Guitar and I should really go update that. A YouTube video about "How to love your Line 6 Helix stock cabs" really helped me out. The Helix cabs have a certain midrange focus where a lot of IRs seem to emphasize the lows and/or highs more and can sound a bit scooped in the end, at least to me. I'm at the point where I'd rather not spend extra money on IRs and just take some time to try and dial in the stock cabs because the results can be very worth it.

Speaking of spending extra money and regarding an earlier post that was made here, as far as I know these updates will continue to be free. I haven't heard anything about charging for packs in the foreseeable future, and if Line 6 is smart they won't. I don't think Fractal or Kemper have ever charged for new updates that added additional models, but I might be wrong since I never owned either. I know Eleven Rack did but they were also in that "more affordable range" of modelers like the POD and not the premium tier the Helix, Axe FX and Kemper are.That's part of the luxury of owning the premium gear I think, a lot of that R&D is already baked into the cost we initially pay for these units. I get why the XT, X3 and HD and Eleven Rack had paid updates. They weren't at the same price point the Helix and it's competitors are so you'd have to charge for that stuff to make it worthwhile to put the effort into. If those other guys started charging for new updates then I could see Line 6 jumping on that bandwagon, but nobody wants to be the first to do it when nobody else is. Considering the Helix is Line 6's first real jump into the premium price point, albeit a bit lower than some of the others, I doubt they would be the first to do it.

I have the HX Effects and the transition was very smooth... no issues at all. 

• I backed up my HX Effects 2.54 with EDIT 2.52
  • I installed EDIT 2.6 then backed up my HX Effect 2.54 with EDIT 2.6
  • I updated my HX Effects with 2.6 then backed up up my HX Effects 2.6 with EDIT 2.6

If I ever need to go back I'm sure I can.

No data appeared to be lost in the transition... all my patches and snapshots appear to be in tact and everything sounds as it did - which is what I was hoping for. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a little behind the rest of you as I've been traveling for work, but I got Helix updated to 2.60 with no issues. Taking a moment to post and say that they absolutely NAILED it with that DS-1 Mod. NAILED it, I say! DS-1 was my first pedal back in the early 90s and I have always had a thing for it ever since. I've owned them stock, modded, I've modded them myself; it's a pedal I'm well acquainted with and, one more time, they just NAILED it! I haven't had one on my board since moving to Helix and I hadn't realized how much I missed it. Great job and thanks, Line 6 guys!