Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix - using Mesa Preamp and valve head power section

neuk01642

Hey peeps

So I'm toying with the idea of getting hold of a used studio preamp or Quad (if I can stump up the cash). 

I want to get a little of that Boogie meat into my tone but don't have the cash for a full blown Mesa head.

I'm currently running my Helix 4CM with my Blackstar Series 1 200.

The idea is I'd be by passing the preamp on the blackstar in favour of the Mesa pre but I'm trying to get my head around how this will work cabling wise.

So signal chain at the moment is

Voodoo Labs GCX / Various drive pedals and fuzzes / Helix / BS Series 1 / Cab & Weber loadbox line out.

Anyone help me out/has done this before?

Also, regarding the switching. There's obviously pedals for either of the pre's but I'd kind of like to use the floor control as I am at the moment and use my helix to control switching. However the footswitch plugs aren't your standard plugs so I'd have to use the remote switching jacks. On the Quad there are 8 of these... how does that work with the one external switching output from the Helix? Would it be a case of investing in something like the Amp Gizmo so I can keep using Midi?

Look forward to any and all suggestions.

Cheers

Matt

Easy!

Assuming you want mesa preamp and black star power section.

Guitar > helix input

Helix send > mesa preamp input

Mesa out > helix return

Helix 1/4 out > blackstar return

I've been toying with the idea of a mesa preamp and the mesa 50/50.

Currently 4cm with a road king 212 combo and it is a beast to lug around twice a week EVERY week for gigs.... don't get a mesa road king 212. Your back will thank you!! 

• Like 1

Oh and yes.... Grab an amp gizmo. I have a couple, one amp gizmo and one rjm loop switcher (eventually ditching helix for a full midi setup... or use helix for midi only. Midi controllers with scribble strips, ability to have so many presets, etc cost as much as the helix or more). Highly recommend rjm. 

I'd like to recommend line 6 come out with a midi only unit! 

• Like 1

On 7/4/2018 at 2:26 PM, jmp22684 said:

Easy!

Assuming you want mesa preamp and black star power section.

Guitar > helix input

Helix send > mesa preamp input

Mesa out > helix return

Helix 1/4 out > blackstar return

I've been toying with the idea of a mesa preamp and the mesa 50/50.

Currently 4cm with a road king 212 combo and it is a beast to lug around twice a week EVERY week for gigs.... don't get a mesa road king 212. Your back will thank you!! 

Thanks

I hoped it would be that simple.

And your assumption is correct. Taking delivery of the preamp today so I know what I'm going to be spending the rest of the evening doing.

In you connection directions when you say 'Mesa out' do you mean the main output that would under normal circumstances be going to a power amp or the effects send?

On 7/4/2018 at 2:38 PM, jmp22684 said:

Oh and yes.... Grab an amp gizmo. I have a couple, one amp gizmo and one rjm loop switcher (eventually ditching helix for a full midi setup... or use helix for midi only. Midi controllers with scribble strips, ability to have so many presets, etc cost as much as the helix or more). Highly recommend rjm. 

I'd like to recommend line 6 come out with a midi only unit! 

Yeah, I'm going to back a full size on as soon as my bank balance recovers a bit because they ain't cheap but I need the 1/4" jacks to connect to the various switching jacks on the Quad.

Appreciate you get back to me man.

Yeah on the output. Basically you just need to make sure it's going to output Instrument/Mic level, I wouldn't feed a line level output; could end up clipping.

The exact rjm unit I use is the mini amp gizmo and the one waiting for use is the rg-16. As far as amp channel switching capabilites they're both similar. I've used both, so depending on what you can find used if you get something like the rg-16 it will handle your current needs and give you future expansion abilities.

Which mesa preamp are you looking for? There's an rjm mesa rectifier series interface cable on ebay for $20. I'd snatch that up if you're planning on it, that's an awesome price for the cable.

If you want a pure analog path eventually, my plan, the prostage stuff is nice. I've got their remote wah and volume pedal as of now, again stored until I complete all purchases.

On 7/6/2018 at 2:21 PM, jmp22684 said:

Which mesa preamp are you looking for?

I got a Quad. 

It's the one that's half Mark II and half Mark III pre amp.

It sounds massive but tragically won't work in the loop of my Blackstar for some reason, so having to bag a cheap tube power amp.

Thanks for the advice on switching. But honestly I think I'll be doing it via the 1/4" jacks as there isn't midi on the Quad.